‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

You Against The World

The sizzling and popping of grease seemed to make my stomach turn. The food smelt good, but watching the slime work its way back and forth across the pan made me want to vomit. I slid the mornings breakfast onto plates, hoping it would help us make our long journey. We needed to make time and get to Belfast in one piece, which was all I could hope for. Every day wasted was forcing our small group closer to elimination.

The longer it took meant a better chance to be hurt by any sort of infected. If it wasn't going to be the diseased, I was more than positive it would be Maire to twist the knife further into our backs. I set the plates with last nights dinner aside, catching Abby in my peripheral vision. She had gotten up nearly ten minutes ago, offered Paul and I a wave and went to tend to the horses, like she had done multiple times at home with me.

She brushed her hair back over her shoulder and gave me a glimpse of a true smile. It was beautiful, the way her lips pulled up into her grin. The way her eyes seemed to shine in that very moment. I felt like I hadn't seen that smile in an eternity. According to Abby, she had always adored animals and always wanted a horse. Yet Oakland, New Jersey was no place for such a big animal, unless you had enough money for big enough land.

Thatcher, Ei and Raza became like a second family to her. She enjoyed the freedom of riding and the way they acted so much like the twins. Romeo. She loved each horse in their own way. Sometimes I felt like they were her only friends. I was lost in the thought when Abby turned, heading back toward Paul and I. I almost forgot that I had breakfast in my lap. Paul coughed lightly when digging into his meal and said, "Nothing like chewy meat and coffee."

"Better than nothin', right?"I sighed quietly before picking at my servings.

I caught Maire giving Abby a hopeful look, which was the most decent I'd seen her yet. Maire had nothing against Abby, which forced me to believe she had a younger sister. A daughter even. I wouldn't put it past her, though, if she didn't regret leaving what she had behind. As soon as that look of vulnerability came, it was gone. Abby sat down in front of Paul and I, but as she reached for her plate, her face froze.

Her mouth gaped open slightly as she whispered, "Oh, Adrienne! What happened to you?"

"I'm fine, Abby."I shoved a forkful of food into my mouth, hoping it would keep it shut long enough for Abby to get the hint.

"Was it one of the infected? Adrienne, why didn't you call for help?"Abby's eyes squinted in pain, like she felt it was her fault for Maire's violence.

"Abby, if it were the infected, than I wouldn't be here right now. Really, I'm okay."I scraped the rest of my food into my mouth and set my plate aside in anger.

I was beginning to grow agitated that Abby kept up with the questions and Paul took notice right away. I loved Abby to death, but the hour before kept me in a sour mood. Paul cleared his throat and said, "Abby, why don't you go wake the two goons still sleeping? We have to leave soon."

Abby stood there for a moment, her expression clear that she wanted to ask more questions. She turned slowly before making her way toward Connor's tent. Paul called back out to her and she turned, waiting for him to continue. He grinned, because he was up to no good and said, "Jump on'm."

Abby's smile slowly crawled back onto her lips and she quickly ran to his tent. I watched from the corner of my eye as Maire readied the horses to depart. She loosened their ties to the trees and made her way toward Paul and I. I only wished to send her off on her own, weaponless and all, but I couldn't fight knowing we needed the extra muscle. She sat down where Abby was before taking a plate in hand.

I could hear the oof in Connor's tent, then a cackle that most likely woke the forest. A smile cracked its way onto my lips as she stumbled out, hands clutching her stomach. She nearly fell over as Connor followed her out, his hair sticking out in every direction. He ran a hand down his face and mumbled, "S'a great way to start the mornin'."

Abby took hold of Connor's arm and eagerly led him to our tent, where Murphy lie asleep in his blanket. I slid my sleeves up to my elbows and heard a loud squeal come from inside. We all jerked our heads up in fear, but only smiled when the three emerged, Abby held tightly over Murphy's shoulder. The brothers laughed to themselves as they made their way over, grins glued to their faces. Maire snorted obnoxiously and said, "Yer all like children."

Murphy learned forward, dropping Abby back onto her feet. He brushed his hair back with his hands and said, "What's a lil' laughter, ey, Maire?"

"Ya'd go crazy without it."Connor winked.

"Aye."Murphy took a seat next to me.

He turned toward me to fast, leaving me unable to hide my battle wounds. His gorgeous smile fell when he saw my sore cheek and blood crusted lips. He opened his mouth to speak, but only took in a sharp breath. He reached his hand up to touch my face, but I jerked away.

"Adrienne,"He whispered softly."What happened to ya?"

He had now gained the attention of the group, which I very much didn't want. Connor's eyes narrowed in anger, at who I was unsure. He didn't know who was responsible for my face, though it wasn't a hard guess. Abby's eyes fell on Maire, like she knew who did it. Maire only held nothing but a satisfying smirk against her lips. She was proud of her damage, but I was still pissed.

"Why don't ya'll ask our new friend here?"I said it so calmly that I scared myself.

All heads turned, a flash of multi coloured hair nearly blinding me. Maire didn't glance in any other direction, but kept her stone cold gaze on me. Her shoulders didn't slump in defeat, knowing she had been caught. Her eyes didn't distance themselves in another direction, trying to avoid the confrontation. She only kept that smirk, which forced my hands to start shaking all over again.

"The fuck's yer problem?!"Connor spat.

"Yer hick friend should learn to respect other peoples things."Maire said smoothly.

"So ya attack'er?!"Murphy accused.

"She's gonna kill us all."I mumbled.

"Not unless ya tempt me,"Maire began sourly."and yer comin' close to it."

"I can say the same."My coffee cup tightened significantly in my hands.

I wanted more so to get up and tear her head from her shoulders. I wanted to knock her from her seat and show her just how hard I could throw down.

"What'er ya gonna do 'bout it?"She scoffed."Beat me up?"

"You fuckin',"I stood from my seat, Connor and Murphy mimicking my actions.

The last thing they wanted was a physical fight, especially between Maire and I. I could say at this moment I could sense how they really felt, which wasn't much different than myself. They wanted to see Maire take a blow, whether it be by gun or hand. That was my opinion, but our fight was stopped well before it even started. Paul stood, tossing his cup to the side and shouted, "That's enough! Sit the fuck down, now!"

Maire's blue haze lingered on my small frame for seconds, as she most likely debated on listening to the Detective. Slowly, the four of us sat, never once leaving the other unnoticed. Paul ran a heavy hand down his face and pointed an accusing finger in Maire's direction.

"I'm sick and tired of dealing with children."Paul spat."I never liked them and I won't start now. We have bigger problems on our hands and all you two can think about is tearing eachother's throats open every chance you get. Yes, everyone bickers, but not like this. Now, I do agree with Adrienne on the matter. Maire, you're just not trustworthy."

"Why's that?"Maire stiffened in her seat as she waited for the lecture.

It was like she had already heard this before. Paul began to count on his fingers as he nearly shouted, "You're sneaky. Your swagger is a pain. Your whole attitude needs an adjustment. The list goes on. Should I ?"

"I've become the leader of this shit hole gro -"Maire began, but was rudely interrupted by Paul.

"You're a god damn marine. You are trained to fight. There are no leaders in your troop. Do you know why? Because you work as a fucking team."Paul sneered the word, like it was damned.

Abby sat forward, hands on her knees, and said, "Like us."

Maire's face fell and for the first time, I saw an emotional woman. Her wall had come crumbling down, like it was her against the world and the world was winning. Abby fingered the frayed strands on the knee of her jeans and swallowed hard. We all took notice of the aura of the group. It was as if the tension and anger had been peeled away, layer by layer, until finally, the truth was revealed. I felt so sick to my stomach, because I didn't like this new feeling.

"I'm tryin' to save ya's."Maire whispered gently.

"Then do a better job of it."Paul snapped."Be a team member, Maire. And by being just that, you'll remember not to leave your brothers and sisters behind."