‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Never Say Never

The group remained silent after this mornings confrontation with Maire as we trampled through the forest. Our temporary camp site, which only held obscene memories, was hidden well behind us by a few miles. Connor and Murphy exchanged words here and there, but it was as if everyone were afraid to talk, like it would rile the group up some. I watched intently as Murphy's fingers tightened on Thatcher's reigns as we continued on.

I stole a glance in Abby's direction from under a lock of hair, finding that she was more amused by the colourful greens around us than anything else. I could see how hard she tried to forget our reality and daydream after a few minutes of observing. Her face scrunched up like she was thinking, her brows pulling over her large, beautiful eyes. I let my head rest in between Murphy's shoulder blades, huffing quietly as we trailed along.

I let my eyes droop shut as his familiar scent danced through my nose. His musky, smoke mixture clinging itself inside. My fingers absent mindedly twisted into his dark blue shirt and I found myself hugging him tightly. I opened my eyes upon feeling a free hand grip my right one. I laced Murphy's fingers into my own, fighting the frown wanting to cling to my lips. I didn't want to let go of him. Not now. Not ever.

My eyes fell onto Maire as she ordered Raza left and right through the trees. Even the badass marine we snagged had been silent the whole time as well. There were no witty comments or snap to her tone. There was no tone at all, as she had refused to say anything since Paul had called her out at camp. Paul ran a hand through his messy hair, his face twisted in annoyance, but more so boredom than anything else.

His shoulders slumped as he reached for his cigarettes, never minding the fact he would be one hand short come time to fight. I licked over my lips as he pushed the filter in between his, debating on stealing one of Murphy's smokes for the ride. It was only normal for me to have a hot, more than wanted cigarette in a time of stress. It was a bad habit, but one I never found myself quitting one hundred percent.

The wind picked up lightly as Paul held an open flame to the tip of his cigarette, lighting it right before the gust stole the flame. He shoved it back into his breast pocket, inhaled and said, "I never thought this moss covered rock would get infected."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me when I knew for a fact that our silence was only temporary. I pulled up from Murphy's shirt, a cruel smile crawling along my slightly parted lips.

"Aye."Connor sighed quietly."Neither did I."

"I did."Maire's eyes dashed onto me as I spoke, but instead of lashing out, she only turned away.

Abby fixed her posture on Ei, like she sensed the venom from my words and said, "My mom said it was God's decision. That we were being punished."

Maire scoffed quietly, a small shake of her head following afterward, before stating, "S'not likely. There was a rumor goin' 'round at base 'bout our scientists fightin' fer a cure."

She stopped, her features slowly drooping into pain.

"They came close."She whispered softly.

Connor and Murphy rose their heads in Maire's direction, as if intrigued by her story. There were always going to be ways of working for a cure, but if anyone would find it in time was the question.

"What happened?"Connor asked.

"It could only stop the contagion."Maire's face hardened again.

I understood the anger toward the scientists. Just the way her reaction was when she spit out the last sentence. The scientists most likely discarded of the medicine when they found it faulty.

"Why couldn't they jus' use it then?"Murphy breathed."It could've prevented a lot of losses!"

"There'd still be dead cannibals."Maire spat."They want a cure. Not somethin' that'll stop the spread. They don't want to live in fear."

"We've always lived in fear."I added."No one'll admit it. We've always worried about terrorists, the plague, plane crashes, muggins down the street. Even tsunamis, earthquakes, voodoo."

Maire's loud cackle took us all by surprise when I finished. A low growl puckered at the back of my throat as she continued to mock me. Murphy looked back, finding my enraged gaze on the marine.

"Don't tell'er, Adrienne."He whispered softly."Ya know what happened last time someone found out."

"I'm sorry, Murphy."I caught his eyes for a moment before speaking up to Maire."It's how it all started."

Her laughter died down and after wiping the tears from her eyes, she mocked, "How do ya know somethin' like that? Yer just a Detective."

I sat back, ignoring the way she said my last occupation and sighed quietly. I could feel Murphy tense as I let him go, like he was afraid I would leap from Thatcher to take a swing at Maire. I would never forget what she did at camp, even if the bleeding stopped and the bruise would last a few days. Yet I wanted her to know what had happened, since I and my Detective Agency went through it first hand.

I brushed my hair back, tucking it behind my ears as we continued our way through the forest. I let my head fall slightly before saying, "It went througgh our department out in Louisiana. We had a few crazy cases. People went missin'. Pets. Two officers went to a hut out on the water, but only one of'm came back. He quit the followin' day. His excuse was simple, but he refused to talk about what happened there."

"That's all? Some agency ghos -"Maire began.

"If you would let me finish."I glared."The officer that disappeared had eventually come back, but by the time I was vacationin' out in Boston with Ma -"

I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. Connor, Abby and Murphy looked over at me, because all three knew exactly what I was going to say. Paul and Maire didn't have the pleasure of meeting Mama.

"I met the twins there, but within just a few days Louisiana had gone down. I got a call from a fellow officer, but it was clear he was no longer with us."I sighed."Come to find out, that very same officer who had gone missin' was a victim of what happened in that hut. It's voodoo, but what exactly happened we're unsure of. It was to late to test anythin' out."

"Ya were on the case?"Maire asked softly.

"Yeah. For the missin' officer."I sighed.

Greif washed over the group suddenly and my shoulders felt heavier than they had ever been. I could taste the name Mama on my tongue, like I had screamed it a hundred times. Everyone had grown silent, except for my quiet gasp that echoed out. I ran my forearm across my eyes, catching a few tears along the way. Murphy leaned back, placed a warm hand on my thigh and said, "S'alright. She's in a better place."

Abby and Connor offered me a warm smile, but behind the facade was hurt as well. I nodded my head, saying, "Yeah, I know, Murphy."

Paul cleared his throat and crossed his arms lightly over his chest.

"You ever try a Shaman?"All heads turned, finding that that was the most ludicrous thing Paul had ever said.

He was a normal man with realistic views. I was becoming a little worried that he was losing it.

"What's that?"Abby asked.

"They're like a witch doctor. They know spells and curses. All of that bullshit."He smiled."Don't ask wwhere to find one though."

I chuckled quietly and said, "Well, never say never, right?"