‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Close Call

It was early morning; the pinks and oranges in the sky were slowly beginning to lighten as the sun rose. I had been up nearly half an hour, the grumbling of my stomach reminding me that Murphy and I were going to a store in the area to get any supplies we could. With only two people in the Escalade and a humongous trunk, we could take all we could without worry of room. My kettle hissed quietly as it heated in the ember, telling me the coffee was finally done.

The scolding hot water poured generously into the two metal cups, one for me and the other for Murphy. I stirred the instant coffee and powdered milk with an old spoon and let the dark aroma fill my nose. I could feel the warmth already before I dared to sip from the hot cup. I set the cups aside and stood, knowing that waking Murphy was going to be more work than normal. No one slept right, especially now.

If it weren't nightmares, it was something else. The slightest snap of a twig or rustling of leaves had anyone on edge anymore. I wiped off my jeans and walked to the three walled shelter. I took the large step up and made my way to the tent Murphy, Abby and I shared. I quietly unzipped the tent and stepped in, careful not to wake the snoring girl in the corner. I smiled at Abby, watching as she scrunched up under her blankets for comfort.

It was a rather chilly morning and I knew I would need something heavier than my light sweatshirt I'd been keen on wearing the entire trip. Winter was well on its way and according to Connor and Murphy, Ireland's winters were rather harsh. I stepped to Murphy and chuckled at his lazy self. He was face down in his pillow, his arms sprawled out in his light sleep. I bent down and gently shook him by the shoulder.

"Murphy,"I shoved him again, this time a tad harder."Murph, wake up."

He groaned lazily and swatted a hand at me. He most likely figured I was Connor trying to annoy him. I huffed quietly and prodded him with my boney index finger. He squealed quietly into his pillow and rolled over, his sleep ridden eyes falling on me. He wiped quickly at his face and in a slur of words, asked, "Wha's wrong?"

"Time to get up, sleepin' beauty. I made you a cup of coffee, too."I smiled warmly.

"Yeah workin' on it."Murphy rolled back over and stubbornly shoved his hands under his pillow.

"Hey,"I tugged kindly at his hair and chuckled, "Come on. We gotta go food shoppin'."

"Can I have five more minutes?"He grumbled.

"We spent five minutes talkin'. Now,"I grabbed hold of his pillow, yanking it from under his head, "get up or I'm leavin' by my lonesome."

"Better not."The playful threat forced him from his bed and he snatched his pea coat from the floor once his boots were on.

I peeked over at Abby, watching as she curled slightly under her blanket. I took hold of Murphy's blanket and lightly draped it over her. Her quiet sighs told me she secretly appreciated it. I knelt down next to her and softly brushed the hair from her eyes. I smiled, but it was more out of disappointment. Not of her, but that we had to go through this adventure once again.

"Hey,"Murphy tugged tenderly at my sleeve.

I looked up, a kind smile pressed against his lips.

"Come on,"He whispered.

He pulled me to my feet and we walked from the tent. He quietly zipped it behind us and we sat by the orange embers of a once small fire. He sipped lightly at his steaming cup and shivered.

"Fuckin' cold."He slithered into his coat before taking his cup in his hands once more.

"I know."A small frown worked its way onto my lips.

"Ya 'ave a jacket, Adrienne?"He asked softly.

"Not yet."I whispered.

"Here,"Before Murphy could shimmy from his coat, I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Ill be fine."I smiled."Thankyou though, Murph. Let's just get to goin'."

Murphy's eyes narrowed slightly, but he didn't pick an argument. Murphy and I finished the rest of our coffee in a hurry, ignoring the scolding heat on our tongues. We put the cups aside and stood from our seats. Murphy stretched as I fished into my pocket for the keys. Maire was currently cuffed to Connor, much to her demise, so no matter what she thought of, she'd have consequences if it woke the grumpy Irishman.

Murphy and I climbed into the car, starting it with a soft rev of the engine. Murphy displayed the map along the dashboard and pointed out roads and shortcuts to the local store. The way there proved no problems, as it was mostly thick woods and little cars. Some of the dead roamed the streets, but they never even glanced at us until we already passed by. By then we had already disappeared from the sight and shuffling feet.

Murphy mentioned the next right would take us down to the old store, where him, Connor and their Ma would go when they had enough money to do a large food shop. I rolled down the street slowly, watching as no one came from behind buildings or trash cans to greet us with hungry snarls. So far it seemed quiet, a little too quiet. I turned to Murphy and asked, "Where is everyone?"

"Not too sure."Murphy seemed almost as amazed as me.

It wasn't a large town at all, but you'd think there would either be survivors or at the very least the walking dead.

"Either way, gives us more time to get wha' we need."He said with a smirk.

I nodded and mentioned, "We should split up inside. It'll give us more time to get what we need."

"Absolutely not."Murphy's eyes squinted into the map before he jerked his head in my direction."We're not in a good part o' town."

"I don't think that matters anymore, Murphy."I drove by an open alley, where a downed woman was leaned up against the brick wall.

She never moved as we rolled by, but stayed still like she had no interest or was actually permanently dead.

"Should be comin' up,"Murphy's head slowly rose and he shoved a finger ahead."Right there."

I pulled up to the large building, noting that it was mostly made of large windows in the front, some spider webbed, but never broken by looters. The front door stood open, holes and cracks spread throughout it.

"Tough windows."I said softly.

"Kept looters out."He laughed dryly."Guess it don' matter anymore, aye?"

I shook my head, put the car in park and killed the engine before pocketing the keys. Murphy and I each checked our weapons, my small .22 only holding one bullet. I swallowed hard, knowing that that single bullet might come in hany one day, especially against Maire. Or one of our own group. I reached over Murphy, opening the glove compartment and shoving it inside. My brand new Beretta was in between my lower back and jeans.

I already knew for a fact it was fully loaded and had two extra clips just in case. I peeked up at Murphy as he slid the magazines back into his silencers. He smiled warmly and said, "They're both full. Got a round fer each of'm."

"Let's hope we won't need'm then."My smile barely showed and Murphy nodded in agreement.

Murphy slipped one of the silencers in his breast pocket beneath his pea coat and said, "Next stop we'll get more ammo."

I nodded, my hesitation catching his attention quickly. Murphy peeked over at me, his facial expression clearly showing concern. He nudged me lightly with his elbow, asking, "Y'alright lass?"

I don't know if it was the sudden rush that the dead had come into Ireland. I don't know if it was knowing I had a bullet stashed away for one of our own skulls. I had a sudden fear crash over me, gripping me tightly by the throat and refusing to let me take a deep breath. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes as I whimpered, "I'm scared, Murphy."

He frowned, a little unsure himself on how he could lessen my fears, because deep down we all felt the same way. Even the hardened Marine handcuffed to a, more than likely by now, surprised Irishman. Things had been so different a few weeks ago. Things were normal, easy, sane. It was the terror that lurked around every corner that changed us all. It took us so long to get over it when we got to Ireland.

It took so long to get Abby to stop waking from nightmares in a screaming heap of sweat. To stop from wanting to carry a weapon with me with every step I took. To stop worrying about the twins when they went off to buy more groceries from town. As soon as we seemed to calm down, the nightmares lessening with each night, the needing of a weapon in between my pants and skin, they had come back and this time it seemed with a vengeance.

Wanting a cure was a far stretch these days, but wondering why the jealously and greed continued, even with the brink of extinction within the human race only confused me. Why couldn't we just pull together and start again? Destroy those diseased bearing creatures as we came up to them and continue on? Why create a new monster that was almost impossible to destroy, even by our strongest weapons? Why go so far?

Murphy gently took me by the hand, his blue eyes showing nothing more than understanding as he said, "I know, Adrienne. We'll be okay. Ya may not believe it, but I promise ya, I'll keep Abby and yerself safe."

I traced his features with my eyes, lingering slightly on the lips I had yet to touch in what felt like an eternity. I leaned forward, cupping him gently behind his head and kissed him, the taste of cigarette smoke and filthy breath lingering on my tongue. Murphy reached forward, his fingers tightening around the base of my neck and sighed. He pulled away, too soon in my own opinion, and rested his forehead against my own.

He met my eyes with his, the sickening feeling of fread lasting a little longer in his at the separation. Quietly, he said, "I promise. Now let's go 'fore the hungry bastards realize we're 'ere."

We climbed from our seats, quietly shutting the doors behind us as we hastily made our way toward the store. I slipped my hand around the handle to my Beretta, my finger itching to squeeze the trigger at any given moment. Murphy and I made our way to the door, peering inside before stepping through, making sure the coast was clear. We both simultaneously groaned, a hand reaching our noses before we could puke.

The smell of rotting food and possibly flesh met our nostrils and it wasn't as bearable as usual. It was as if the store had been air locked for years and someone had just opened the door an hour ago. I felt myself retch into my hand as Murphy said, "Try an' block it!"

"How?!"I retched again, the muscles in my stomach screaming that there was nothing to throw up.

It was a painful few seconds before I could pull myself together. I removed my hand after a few moments, setting my mind elsewhere as we stepped to the registers. I stepped carefully over the broken glass from miscellaneous items being broken in a hasty escape, but Murphy was not so careful. I cringed as he stomped forward and I was pretty sure he stepped on every loud cracking piece on his way in.

He turned, an apologetic smile pressed against his lips as we waited for any of the dead to make an appearence. The store was quiet, but it wouldn't be for long. Who knew how long the stench had been wafting into the streets, welcoming any sort of undead to this very location? I gently slipped my gun back in its hiding place before taking hold of a shopping cart. Murphy did the same and smiled wildly.

"Let's split up,"I stopped and pointed a finger at Murphy's are you serious? glare, "Don't you look at me like that. You and I both know it'll be quicker and we'll get more stuff this way. Now get to goin' before they catch a waft of this rank smell."

"Yes, m'am,"Murphy moved forward, his pistols now hidden beneath his coat, "Ya yell if ya need me, aye? I'll come runnin'."

"I know."I smiled warmly and turned my cart around, "Let's go shoppin'."

Murphy and I each took different directions, the both of us starting on the opposite side of the store. I was sure to stop in the customer service section and empty them of all their cartons of cigarettes, as well as a few lighters here and there. Ever since Paul mentioned he was smoking his last cigarette, with a mighty frown I must admit, I had been craving one to relieve me of at least a little bit of stress.

I walked down the aisles, my eyes scanning every direction before every turn in case they held surprises, but nothing ever jumped from the corners or reached out to grab me. Most of the items had been looted long ago, butt there were still enough things to be taken back to camp. I filled my cart with countless supplies of beans, tuna, raviolis, and other essentials, but when I came to the hygiene section I nearly dropped where I stood.

I shoveled razors, q-tips, shampoos, conditioners and bars of soap into my belongings, never realizing how dirty I felt until this very moment. I could literally feel the grimey stains piercing my skin when I thought of where I could take my next shower. I continued through the aisles until I was satisfied, or at least until my cart was full, and started for the front of the store. I dug into one of the Nnewport cartons and stole a pack, lighting a cigarette with ease with a brand new lighter.

I inhaled deeply as I made my way to the trunk, lifting the hatchback to throw my supplies in. I kept it as organized as possibly could and shut it, wondering when Murphy would be done with his small shopping spree. I opened my drivers door and slipped my cigarettes and lighter into the cup holder, pulling another drag from my cigarette in between my lips. The guys would be thanking me when we returned with an armful of nicotine.

As I pulled my upper half from inside the truck, a low hum slowly caught my ears. It was unequal and haunting and I literally froze where I stood. I dropped the cigarette from in between my fingers and turned, peering over the edge of the truck for a better look of the road. I could hear the shuffling of lazy feet as the dead ambled through, looking more lost than ever. Their hum of death echoed into the air at a surprising pitch.

I shoved myself against the side of the Escalade, my heart immediately racing against my ribs at the realization that weren't alone. Murphy was still inside the store and I clearly had no way of warning him that some of the dead had waltzed into our part of town. They seemed to be shuffling forward with no goal in mind, that is until they caught sight of one of us. I stole a deep breath as I heard them grow closer and whispered, "Don't fuckin' panic."

They stumbled closer as I climbed into the drivers seat, slowly and cautiously shutting the door so I wouldn't be heard. Murphy was safe where he was, for now, until they caught a whiff of what lie inside. I was hoping it didn't come to that point, but my hopes meant nothing in a world full of death. I lowered my seat and lied back, praying none of them were smart enough to peek inside the vehicle and see me.

My breath grew quick and shallow as they began to bump against the car, moans and hums drawing them closer to eachother. I watched as they continued to pass by, not in the least interested in a parked car in the parking lot. They had no idea I was here, even when a gentle squeal pressed through my lips as a smear of clotted blood caught my window. I made a chance to look out the passenger side window, finding Murphy near the registers, looking more frantic than ever.

He made the decision to peek up, whether out of the feeling of being watched or wanting to make sure I was okay, and he pressed a finger to his lips, ushering me to be quiet. So far, none of the dead made the concious decision to go inside the store. Yet as luck would have it, three eventually caught the smell that poured from the gaping doors, catching their interest in a matter of seconds.

Dozens had walked by without a care in the world, moving forward like a herd of wild animals. I swallowed hard as they shuffled closer, their bodies responding surprisingly well to the scent that caught their attention. I whispered profanities to myself as Murphy clung to the register, praying they didn't see or smell him on their way in. The scent was so powerful, however, that one single person couldn't overpower it.

"Try one who hasn't showered in weeks."I grumbled softly.

Some of the dead lingered outside, far too many to take on by myself. They stumbled here and there, eventually either finding a way inside the super market or staying in their wavering position in the parking lot. I had to get Murphy out of that store one way or another, but nothing seemed to click in my head and tell me how. I gasped inwardly as I remembered the keys in my poket and fumbled dangerously to reach them.

I shoved the keys into my ignition, revving the engine loudly as it roared to life. The dead turned in my direction, their one numb expression turning into one of pure hunger and rage. They sprinted forward in an attempt to catch me, but between the thick metal doors and glass, they could only pound away until their hands were nothing. Or until they were smart enough to use something to break it.

I shoved the gear shifter into reverse, pushing the petal down to the floor. The loud thuds and cracks that hit the car told me I managed to hit a few and the car shifted slightly as the crunch of what I presumed to be a skull met my ears. I drove forward, watching as Murphy stood and ran from the spider webbed window. The two dead inside caught sight of him and immediately rushed forward, their starved hands reaching toward him greedily. The truck rammed through the large window, sending shattered glass across the floor.

Murphy was quick to reach the passengers door, his one hand holding his silencer and the other the handle. One of the infected managed to reach him before he could get to safety and took two handfuls of his coat. He brought his elbow back and hit it directly in the head, knocking it slightly off balance enough to pull away. He aimed his weapon at the woman and squeezed the trigger, black blood and grey matter spraying out from her broken skull.

He ripped open the door with his hand and jumped in, shutting it just before more sets of hands groped at the window. He shouted loudly as I reversed the truck, the never ending dead clawing and screaming for the live meat inside the vehicle. Murphy turned toward me and yelled, "Fuckin' floor it!"

I drove, the seemingly endless amount of infected trailing behind us, their sprinting no match for a car. Murphy was breathing heavily beside me, the event of a near fatal attack still fresh in his mind. He rested his head against the headrest and let out a slow, deep breath. After a few short moments, however, he began to chuckle to himself.

"What?"I breathed.

"Fuckin' Dirty Harry shit back there."He moved his hands like he was holding guns and smiled.

"Let's not do it again."I couldn't help but crack a smile as well.

"Couldn't grab me things."He frowned.

"Its alright,"I said softly, "I got plenty for all of us."

Murphy nodded slowly and his eyes caught sight of my cigarettes. He gasped softly and immediately reached down, taking one for himself. As the ember at the end glowed red, he took in a large pull, groaning as the smoke eventually crawled from his lungs.

"Yer a life saver, lass."He winked.

"Don't mention it."My eyes fell to the rearview mirror and I could no longer see the dead coming for us.

They would most likely continue in the direction they thought we went until something else caught their eye. And that something else I was praying for so they wouldn't make it back to our camp. By the time we rolled back into our small camp site, I could see the look on everyone's faces. Most read fear, other than Paul, who was a little shocked at gruesome paint job we had gotten.

Murphy and I climbed from the car after I switched off the engine and Abby ran up, half out of fear and half from curiosity. She wrapped her arms around me and said, "I'm so happy you're okay, Adrienne."

"Yeah, me too."I hugged her tightly, the feeling of not wanting to let go becoming more and more of a problem for me.

"S'alright, I'm fine."Murphy mused.

"Good,"Connor glared from her sat with Paul, Erin and Maire before adding, "now ya can get this shit off me. Thanks fer the warnin' by the way."

Maire rolled her baby blues and said, "Please."

"Sorry,"I grinned as I fished the keys from my pocket.

I removed Maire from Connor's side, only to keep her safe by the passenger door once more.

"Takin' a piss was a fuckin' dream."Connor stepped forward and smacked a hand to the back of his brothers head before pointing a finger at the Escalade, "the fuck ya doin' out there? Thought ya were gettin' supplies, not gettin' a fuckin' paint job."

"Fuck yerself, Connor,"Murphy snapped, "I coulda died."

"Stop bein' dramatic,"Connor grew a smile and said, "So, whatcha get me?"

Few things were passed around to lessen the hunger and within an hour Paul, Connor, Murphy, Erin, Abby and I were sitting where the normal fire would be held. Abby leaned back into my chest, a hand over her swollen belly as I rested my head on Murphy's shoulder. I sighed softly, brushing my fingers through Abby's greasy hair. I looked up, finally asking the question that everyone was thinking.

"What do we do now?"I questioned.

All faces seemed to turn downward, to the forest, the truck - anywhere but at myself. I frowned, until Erin looked over at me.

"Take Maire to Belfast."He stated matter of factly.

"Wha?!"The twins nearly fell from their seats.

A grin crawled along Erin's lips as he said, "I got an idea."