‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Bump In The Road

We'd stumbled across a long, narrow stretch of a highway through our travels, most of which happened to be littered with cars. Most were abandoned, a few turned over or crashed from the flurry of a quick escape. It was almost like a ghost town. You could hear the quiet plink of a pin hitting the pavement along the way, minus the gentle hum of Abby. She was nervous again. Tucking her hair over her ear and singing softly to her old favourites.

Or just the songs she happened to remember from the days of our long lost past. Twice we were forced to remove ourselves from the car to push a few out of the way, but other than that the road seemed the easiest so far. We never saw another helicopter though, which seemed to calm Maire's worried nerves about being found out by the Army. She wasn't as snippy as usual, which concerned me, but also helped my attitude as well.

Maybe she realized we weren't giving in to her outlandish ways and barbaric comments. She was now just a woman, not a Marine or a soldier who went out looking for trouble. Maire was just a lone Irish woman in a group she swore to help in the very beginning of this chaotic mess. She confused me, Maire. She twisted my thoughts around left and right every day. Was she really on our side and just had an attitude problem?

Or was she just on another mission given so long ago? I rubbed a tired fist over my eye and sighed inwardly. I didn't know what to expect from her anymore. One minute she was on our side, the next we were confused and double thinking the cocky woman. And doubting ourselves. That was a problem we all shared. Doubting ourselves to the point of damn near lunacy. Is that what she wanted?

Even Connor and Murphy, who thought the woman a Saint were rethinking her plans for our future. We laid our lives on the line to a complete stranger and expected her help. We gave ourselves over to a rogue Marine. Didn't that just seem a little out of the question? A little odd that she disobeyed orders and found the twins roaming - and mid panic - in the alleys of the small town we had been living?

Maire was certainly not the type to take orders from others and why she became a Marine was anyones guess, but she still made me think that woman. Why, why, why just seemed like the question of the year anymore. I asked it too often and rarely received any answers. My thoughts reeled back when Maire pointed forward from the passengers seat, pointing out another set of cars that sat in the way.

I could hear Connor and Murphy unbuckling themselves with an obnoxious groan. Funny, how even when the world went to shit they still managed to buckle up. Murphy tossed back his seatbelt and stepped cautiously over Abby as I slowed to a stop. He ruffled the young girls hair with a smile and said, "Guess we're gon' 'ave to push it outta the way."

He took a fistful of Connor's coat and yanked at it, ushering him to hurry as he climbed out the side door. Connor replied with a fruitful remark and slammed the door shut. I watched as the two shuffled in front of the car, weapons drawn and ready to fire at any given moment. The coast seemed clear, however, like the infected managed to stay away from us for a reason. I ran a hand over my face and peered back at Abby through the mirror.

I smiled warmly in her direction and asked, "Ya'lright sweetheart?"

"I'm kind of hungry,"Abby frowned slightly and I reached toward the center console.

There was something special I had grabbed just for her and was sure not to keep it out in the open, fearing that one of the twins might snatch it. I shifted slightly, my Beretta sliding smoothly in my lap as I pulled out a large, king sized Kit Kat bar. Abby's eyes widened in amazement as I held it out to her.

"How did you find this?!"Abby squealed and snatched the chocolate from my hand.

"I have a good eye."I said softly.

"Oh my god," She tore at the wrapper like a wild animal, smiling wildly when it ripped open," Thankyou so much! I haven't had one in so long."

"Just don't tell Connor and Murphy,"I grinned,"they might fight you for it."

I looked back to the road, watching as the twins maneuvered the cars away. There seemed to be two more right ahead, keeping us from moving forward that much longer. I looked back when a gentle finger tapped my shoulder and found a piece of the candy being pushed in my direction.

"I gotta split it with someone,"Abby's smile showed the briefest flicker of sad memories, as if remembering the small exchange her and her mother shared so long ago.

I pulled it from her fingers, a hurt smile playing across my lips. I bit into it, watching as she handed a piece to Paul and Erin in the back. She scooted forward in her seat and offered one to Maire, who's features upped slightly in surprise. She accepted it as well and I was nearly floored when she thanked her for the candy.

"Thanks, Adrienne,"Abby leaned forward, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

I reached back with my arm and pulled her into a hug.

"No problem, Abby."I squeezed her tightly, a soft sigh flowing through my lips.

"Nine o' clock,"Maire's voice broke through and I quickly pulled away.

I turned to my left, trying to find the creature posing a threat to the boys. My window rolled down as I noticed the movement of a lone, infected man. He shuffled with tired feet toward the twins, one arm outstretched in a wanting manner. He picked up speed the further the guys moved, a nonexsistent snarl pressing through his rotted lips. His other arm hung freely, moving slightly with his uneven gait.

It was like he had no use in it. Like it was from an injury from his life before. I held the kit kat in between my teeth as I pushed my gun out the window. I followed the poor man for a moment before squeezing, watching as his head bounced back and he hit the floor. Connor and Murphy turned quickly at the car, eyes wide and shocked at the pop of my gun. The car erupted in laughter at their facial expressions.

I finished off the candy in my mouth and chuckled to myself. It was a little disturbing to know I could kill a man and continue eating like I had done it a dozen times before. And when I really thought about it, I've killed plenty of what used to be normal, working citizens. It made me sick, the realization kicking in out of nowhere. How many had we killed? How many have been so lucky to get that shot to the brain? Lucky enough to end their constant hunger?

"Adrienne,"Abby breathed out in shock, a finger shoving toward the window.

Connor and Murphy had stopped suddenly, their arms moving up in defense at whoever stood before them. I couldn't see past them, but I knew for a fact by the look on their faces that it wasn't any good. Their weapons were no longer in their hands, but at their feet, resting a good kick away from where they stood. I leaned out the window, a chill running down my spine as I shouted, "Boys?!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh damn!! :)