‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Free Life

That familiar tinge of fear that lies heavy in my chest never ceased, even when stepping onto well protected and virgin Irish land. The few months Connor, Murphy, Paul, Abby and I have spent in this cabin doesn't hide the gorey, fear ridden memories my mind refuses to erase. I wake each morning, having that very familiar fear crawling along every inch of showing skin I offer. To know that I could wake up each morning and step outside seemed like a distant dream when in the United States.

Knowing that we could go about our business without the protection of a hand gun was only a wanting before we came here. I was once a very well respected Detective in Louisiana, without a worry of having to use my gun on every citizen I came across in the street. Yet one simple act goes horribley wrong and you become a fighter in a matter of seconds. The disease had spread throughout every state and city in the United States, leaving one's survival rate extremely low.

I brushed my hair away from my eyes and leaned up against the wooden counter in the kitchen. I turned my head to the pot along the fire as I waited for the water to come to a boil. Our lives had become exactly that; boiled water. Our waves were once calm and cool, yet before you could even blink, things had drastically changed. You were once the one eating, and soon became the eaten. If you would have asked me long ago if I'd ever step onto Irish land, I would have shaken my head and walked away.

Ireland had become a blessing in disguise if I really thought about it. Paul Smecker, once very well known for his astonishing work in Boston, had escaped to Ireland to look after the cabin, the animals and it's land. He had dug into Ireland's books and made sure that Connor and Murphy would come back unharmed. He had learned through the paper of the United State's mass hysteria and soon, the infected. He stayed put, however, not only because he had kept a promise, but because he was wanted as well.

The animals that galabanted along their property were not only for show, but for food. Connor and Murphy were the only two in this small home to dare walk the cities streets for supplies, while Paul, Abby and I stayed back at the cabin. They were the only two with citinzenship within this beautiful country, and were not wanted within Ireland's legal system. Citizens were constantly harrassed to show their identification in order to keep peace and authority here.

There was only one way in and one way out, which was perfectly secured within the many snipers and Marines at it's border. The cabin is very well out of the towns and cities way, so being secluded was another blessing we had been lucky to have. No official had ever visited this small home, so the three of us illegal people were safe. I looked back at the fire, watching as steam slowly started to rise from my pot. It was almost done, which put a small smile on my face.

I felt my eyes perk up above the fire, where a large memorial of Noah was hung. His painted picture was surrounded by his stone Rosarie and small pictures that Connor and Murphy had of him. I stepped away from the counter and made my way to the front door. I still found the urge to arm myself, but Murphy had insisted that I get used to living a free life. I pried open the door, right as the sound of foot steps caught my ears.

I stepped out, quietly shutting the door behind me and sat on one of the lone chairs outside. I held a short flame to my cigarette and inhaled deeply, taking in every taste my menthol cigarette had to offer. I looked out onto the land and watched as the sheep and lamb danced across the grass. The view was certainly different, but so beautiful to look at. I looked over at the hill that I had first climbed over and felt the corners of my lips pull up into a smile.

The boat we had arrived on was just over the hill, sitting and waiting to rot to it's core. I could still remember the day like it was yesterday, where I had heard for the first time we're home. It almost brought tears to my eyes, knowing that we were so close to being comfortable when out on sea. Noah had never made it home, at least in body. Walking through it's narrow halls you could feel his precense, but no one else seemed to mind.

I jumped when a hand was placed on my shoulder and turned, finding those wonderful blue eyes I had come to love over time. Murphy looked down at me and offered me a warm, casual smile. His eyes were still red from waking up, but it only seemed to bring out those baby blues. He leaned down and kissed me so tenderly on the lips before whispering, "Mornin'."

"Good mornin'."I pushed my cigarette in his direction and he happily plucked it from my fingers.

"Yer up early."He rubbed at his tired eyes before taking a seat beside me.

"I'm always up early, Murph."I chuckled quietly.

"What's cookin'?"He grinned.

"Instant coffee."I laughed."You're hungry already? You just got up."

"A man's stomach never rests. Ya should know that by now."He handed back my cigarette, allowing me to take the last few drags.

"Very well said."I stubbed my cigarette out in the ashtray before standing from my seat.

A cool breeze blew by, forcing my hair to expose my tanned skin. My tank top did nothing to warm me as goosebumps broke out across my showing skin. I shivered slightly and rubbed my hands together. Ireland's temperatures were much lower than the Untited States, even when it was summer.

"Hey,"Murphy gently took me by the waist and pulled me into his lap."ya cold?"

"I'm always cold here."I smiled.

"Come'er."He pulled my back into his and wrapped his arms tightly around my arms and chest.

"You're so warm."I leaned back into him and rested my head against his shoulder.

We sat for a few moments and enjoyed eachother's company for as long as we could. Murphy and I found it rather hard to get alone time, even for just a few moments. We shared a small bedroom in the back of the cabin, but it didn't seem to help. Abby would ask to crawl into the bed as of late, because the haunting memories of our survival would come screaming back at her. Even in the night time she couldn't escape what she had gone through.

The front door opened once more, revealing that familiar blonde hair. Connor stepped out, cigarette between his lips and stretched as far as he could. He cupped a hand to his lips and let out an obnoxious yawn. He sat down where I was and held his zippo to his cigarette. His hair was pushed in different directions and his eyes were slightly droopy, making it known that he had just rolled out of bed. I chuckled quietly, earning a playful glare from him.

"The fuck ya laughin' 'bout, Adrienne?"Connor exhaled slowly, allowing the smoke to crawl from his nose.

"You always look amazin' in the mornin', Connor."I joked.

He narrowed his eyes in my direction, forcing both Murphy and I to start laughing. He took another pull of his cigarette and said, "Best get yer water before it boils over the top."

"Coffee, boys?"I stood from Murphy and looked down at the both of them.

"Aye, I could go fer a cup."Connor nodded his head, as well as Murphy.

I pushed open the front door and quietly shut it behind me. Paul had eventually made it to the kitchen table, where he sat with the paper wide open in his lap. He looked up at me and offered me that sadistic smirk that came to his lips.

"Good morning, beautiful."His eyes fell back onto the paper as I wished him a good morning as well.

"Coffee, Paul?"I pulled the heavy pot from the fire and filled three cups with water.

He agreed and I was sure to make an extra cup. I walked into the kitchen, fixed our coffees and handed one to Paul. I popped open the front door, but before I could walk out, I could hear the soft whispers from the twins. They looked up when I stepped in between them, three cups of coffee sitting in my hands. They each took their cup, smiling happily when they sipped from it. Connor groaned quietly and said, "Ya make the best damn coffee a man could ask fer."

"Why thank you."I smirked."Why you kissin' ass, Connor? What do you boys plan on doin'?"

Murphy's smile quickly vanished and I sighed quietly. They planned on walking back into town for more supplies. I gave them each a forced smile, but no matter how hard I tried, they could always see passed it. Murphy gently took my hand in his and said, "Ya know we're safe here, Adrienne. No need to get worried."

"I'll always be worried, Murphy. It doesn't matter how far we go from the states. I will always have those memories."I whispered angrily."I can't not worry every time you leave the cabin, even if for a few hours. Just knowing it could hit here any moment don't help none either."

He pressed his lips to my hand and said, "We've been through a lot, Adrienne. Ya know us."

"Aye."Connor agreed."If the shit hits the fan, which it wont, might I add, we'll be home in no time."

"Come'er."Murphy tugged on my hand, pulling down to his level.

He pressed sweet kisses along my lips and refused to stop when Connor groaned loudly. I chuckled quietly and pulled away, saying, "Just be safe, boys. I don't know what I'd do without you both here."

"We'll be fine, love."He reached out and cupped my face in his hand."I promise, Adrienne."