‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Kerrianne

It was a young woman. She leaned against the car, gun wielding hand shaking with trepidation. Her eyes were swollen with fat tears, begging to crawl down her plump cheeks. She was scared, absolutely terrified. But to be fair, so were the twins. Connor's left knee buckled slightly, the sudden movement casting the loaded, or not loaded, weapon onto himself. He chuckled nervously, breathing, "They love aimin' at me."

Murphy scowled quietly at him, more so telling him now was not the time to joke around. She was most likely in her mid twenties, no older than that. Her skin was very tan, like that of a very lightly made coffee. Her hazel eyes, which were red from consistent crying darted in between the guys every few seconds. She had a thick nose, pouted lips and a mess of brown curly hair hidden beneath a french man's cap.

The guys looked down at her, as she was only about 5'6" in height, but regardless of the weapon she seemed harmless enough. She might have played a few sports in her day, despite her bigger boned attributes, because the muscles flexed nervously in her arms as she tense and relaxed. Tensed and relaxed. Adrienne's worried tone suddenly filled the air. She could see them, but not the woman holding them at gun point.

Connor offered the woman a nervous smile when Adrienne called out once more. She nudged the gun in Connor's direction, spitting, "Tell'er yer okay."

Connor turned his head back slightly, saying, "S'alright, Adrienne! We got it under control!"

"We ain't 'ere to hurt ya,"Murphy spoke softly, calmly.

The first tear rolled down her cheek.

"Ya infected?"Her voice trembled with fright.

The twins simultaneously shook their heads, insisting they didn't carry any sort of the disease taking over mankind. She swallowed hard, tried to relax herself. She still held them at gunpoint, but her hand didn't twitch as bad.

"What's yer name?"Murphy asked.

"Kerrianne."Her voice was very feminine, almost preteen like.

The clang of the car door met their ears, but when Kerrianne didn't move, they knew it was too quiet for her. Or she was too focused on the guys. Connor slowly lowered his hands, still keeping them visible in spite of her ongoing fear for them, but before he could speak up, he watched the girl's eyes widen in absolute terror. He jumped forward before she could get a clear shot, but the loud pop of her gun startled everyone.

Murphy turned, watching as Adrienne jumped from the bullet ricocheting off the cement and hid behind an over turned car. Kerrianne yelled out in protest and he turned, watching as Connor forced the weapon from her hands and onto the floor. She threw a hefty punch in his direction and if it hit, he knew Connor would be dazed for even just a second. He caught her wrist, spun her with a fight and locked her arms to her chest.

She stomped down on Connor's boot hard, but he never eased up. She shouted for him to ease up, to let her go, but with enough strength he was able to cover the girls mouth. To keep the dead from finding their exact location. When Murphy knew his brother had the survivor under control, he turned to Adrienne, yelling out her name.

"I'm fine!"She shouted.

"We ain't gon' hurt ya, lass!"Connor grunted as she yanked against him, refusing to give in.

She was a tough girl. Murphy knew his brother was strong, but if this young woman was giving him trouble than she had some power behind that punch and most likely a good fight.

"There's others!"Kerrianne seemed to calm slightly as Connor leaned them back into the car behind them.

Murphy stepped forward, hands visible and said, "No ones infected. We're jus' a group of survivors. Regular people."

Adrienne, once realizing the imminent danger had gone, removed herself from behind the vehicle. Connor had taken his hand from the girl's mouth, allowing her to speak.

"I thought she was infected,"She mumbled quietly, "I'm sorry."

"S'alright, lass,"Connor smiled warmly, adding, "Will ya be any trouble?"

"No,"His arms slithered from her, releasing her wrists from his pained grasp.

Adrienne made her way over, gun held firmly within both hands. When she noticed the woman, she tucked the gun in between her pants. She was a little shocked at the new, live person. Murphy could read it in her features. They dropped, slightly angry, as she added, "Good Lord,"

Her right hand constricted into a fist. She was debating on whether to throw the punch or not. Murphy gently took her by the shoulders and said, "She thought ya were infected. Give'er a break, aye?"

She let out a deep breath, eliminating any residual anger she had toward Kerrianne.

"Names Kerrianne,"Murphy began, "I think she's alone."

"I am,"She said.

Murphy turned back to Adrienne, the look clear in his eyes. He wanted to take her with them, whether for the muscle, because her knew the girl had it, or to have a new face. Either way, another survivor meant better luck in the living. At least in Murphy's eyes. Adrienne chuckled cruelly and crossed her arms over her chest.

"No fuckin' way,"She spat.

"'Ave a heart, Adrienne."Murphy said.

"No more survivors,"She gritted her teeth, "we seem to have problems with others."

"Come one,"Murphy tugged her sleeve lightly with a smile, "She's harmless enough. Couldn't even take a good shot."

Adrienne's eyes softened when she looked up, finding that odd blue staring back with hope. Murphy had a way over Adrienne, as they both found out during their long adventure the first time around. It only came perfectly clear during their stay at their cabin in their old town. The corner of Adrienne's mouth twitched slightly as she said, "Last fuckin' one, Murphy. I mean it."

"Thanks,"He knelt down, kissing her on the lips, "ya won't regret it. If ya do, well,"

His eyes darted back to Connor and he grinned.

"Ya can take out yer anger on me brother."He snickered.

"I'll be in the car."She said,"Let's get back on the road 'fore it gets dark."

She started her way back, a few steps ahead of the guys and Kerrianne. After picking up her gun, Connor smiled and said, "Adrienne's sweet when ya get to know'er. I promise."

Kerrianne wrapped her arms around her middle, following them to the Escalade hidden behind that over turned car Adrienne hid behind for a moment. She stopped suddenly, however, when those hazel orbs took a good look as to who was in the car.

"Oh, no,"She tripped over herself into Connor as she backed up.

"Wha's wrong?"Connor reached out to take her arm lightly, but she yanked away, pointing an accusing finger into the passengers seat.

"Fuckin' Army?!"She cried.

Adrienne turned from her door, giving the woman an odd look. Murphy swallowed hard, looking back at Kerrianne.

"They're on our side,"Connor began.

"No,"Kerrianne whispered,"Not fer long."

Connor and Murphy turned toward eachother, the silent question running through both of their minds. What the fuck are we getting ourselves into?