‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Old Memories Are Back

The mornings breakfast Adrienne had made for the house seemed to sit heavy in Connor's stomach, so when the opportunity came up to get his mind off his small pains, he took it. He had urged Murphy to hurry when getting ready so they could leave before Adrienne had caught wind of what their plans were. When they were left alone outside, however, she had managed to over hear the conversation. Murphy had to occasionally talk the calm into her, simply because she had yet to become accustomed to a free life.

Adrienne still felt the need to carry a weapon, even if it be a small hand gun when she was awake. Both of the brothers had the same feeling here and there, yet they had to constantly remind Adrienne that she was perfectly safe within the thin walls of the cabin. Connor and Murphy each simultaneously reached up for the cigarettes in between their lips and inhaled deeply on the thick smoke. Murphy tossed his aside as they neared the small town and sighed quietly.

The town, whos streets were normally littered with people here and there, was much more quiet than normal. That obnoxious silence seemed to put Connor on the edge, because it brought back those long, hot nights in the United States. He could feel his stomach turn dramatically as they neared the small conveinent store they baught their weekly cigarettes from. The brothers came to a surprised halt, however, when the glimer of broken glass caught their eyes.

No words were said as they each lurched forward, anxious to see what had happened. The owner of McGee's Supplies rarely had any problems with the town, being simply because his heart was one of gold. He was a cheery old man who only worked to keep his bills from piling up. Connor and Murphy stopped at the beginning of the store, only to see the large window to be broken in. It was as if someone had thrown a chair or large object through the window to get in.

There was a lock on the door, which struck the brothers as odd, so they assumed someone had wanted in before the opening hours. Murphy bent down to pick at the different sized pieces of glass, but Connor was sure to stop him from doing so. He took notice that the once neatly placed items on each shelf had been thrown from their temporary spots, like a child having a tantrum. Connor looked further into the store, his eyes catching every small thing inside.

They landed shortly on something peeking from behind the front counter and he felt his breath get caught in his throat. The store owner, Charles McGee's, old, dark brown boots stuck out from the edge of the counter, as if he had been knocked onto his back with blunt force. He went to step into the store, to make sure that he was alright, but Murphy stood and grabbed him tightly by his upper arm. He turned with an angry glare at his brother, wondering why he was stopping him from doing a good citizens job.

"Look."Murphy shoved a finger toward the back of the store, where discoloured smears coated the walls and floors.

Connor gasped quietly, but it was soon replaced by a low, gutteral growl. He jerked his arm from Murphy's grasp and spat, "The fuck ya doin', Murph?!"

"I don't think it's a good idea, Connor."Murphy whispered angrily.

"The fuck ya talkin' 'bout? McGee's on the floor!"Suddenly, multiple clacks echoed through the streets, forcing the brothers to duck and throw their arms over their heads.

The quick, three continuous shots sounded almost like an automatic gun. Murphy peeked up at his brother from behind the curtain of his coat with worried eyes. Those bright blues didn't hold the concern that were there moments before. Connor grabbed hold of Murphy's arm and tore him away from the broken in store. They each stumbled into the alleys around the buildings and took in a deep breath. Both Connor and Murphy knew that feeling that was slowly etching it's way into their stomachs.

The same dread that inched over their shoulders, telling them that they were indeed in trouble. Murphy quickly tossed his head in Connor's direction before whispering, "Adrienne!"

Murphy turned on his heel to start his fearful run back to the cabin, but Connor quickly took him by the arm. Quietly, he said, "Wait, Murph! Wait jus' a god damn minute."

"We have to get home, Connor."Murphy growled.

"Do ya have the same feelin' in yer gut that I do, Murph?"Connor's features dropped with each word.

Murphy pulled his arm away from his brother and ran his fingers through his hair. He curled the thin strands in his hands and nodded his head in his brother's direction. He could feel the fear and survival methods working it's way into his mind. He couldn't fight the fact that his old memories had come screaming back at him.

"Then we have to stay low."He whispered."We can't be seen, brother. Stay in the alleys and be quiet. Don't make a hasty move."

The sound of gunshots broke out among the small town once more, forcing Connor and Murphy to lean up against the brick wall of the closest building. Murphy began to make his way toward the road, but Connor was fearful that he would get hurt. He pressed a hot hand to Murphy's shoulder, making him turn back to face him. With a stern look, Murphy asked, "What?"

"What are ya doin'?"Connor whispered.

"Seein' who's shootin' up the Royal Corale."Murphy pulled away from Connor and quietly stepped to the edge of the building.

He peeked his head from the side, watching in horror as tan suited men and women walked down the town's dirt roads. Their weapons were held securley within their grasp, so Murphy knew for a fact they were the Irish Marines. He swallowed hard, wondering why they had abandoned their post at the only entrance into Ireland. A large Hummer was following close behind the few walking, where a gunner was sat neatly on top.

Murphy watched as some parted from the road to kick open the rusty doors to few homes or stores. Chills made a clear wave down his spine as shouting began to errupt within the thin walls of the buildings. A Marine escaped through the broken down door, a woman bound tightly within his grasp. He had his fingers wrapped tightly in the back of her shirt, but released her before knocking her to her knees. She pleaded with the Marine as he rose his weapon to the back of her skull.

Murphy pulled away from the gruesome scene and cupped a cold hand over his mouth. He closed his eyes tightly upon hearing the gunshots and swallowed down the bile rising in his throat. Connor began to pat roughly at his clothed chest, forcing Murphy to turn back to him. Connor looked up at him and whispered, "The fuck happened, Murph?"

"We need to go home, Connor."Murphy began to shove his brother forward and away from the murderous Marines.

Their booted feet helped them stumble forward with quiet thuds as they worked through each alleyway. Connor knew well enough not to pester his brother about what had happened. He had enough trust in him to know that the situation is bad, so he continued on making his way home. The feeling of guilt began to take over him and before they took another step, Connor grabbed Murphy by his shoulders. He pushed his brother up against the brick wall and said, "What happened, Murph? What'er we up against here?"

Murphy's bottom lip began to quiver at the scene, which Connor was strictly taken back by. His brother was always one to hold his feelings in, no matter what the situation was. Connor grabbed him lightly by his chin and whispered, "Murph, it's okay."

"No, it's not!"Murphy pushed his brother away, but Connor was sure to come back for more.

"Murph, calm down!"He dug his fingers into Murphy's upper arms and shoved him back against the hard wall.

Murphy was sure to grab Connor by the opening of his pea coat and continue to fight against him. Connor pulled his brother forward slightly, just to toss him back into the wall. Loudly, he said, "Murph! Calm the fuck down! Tell ya brother what happened."

Murphy stopped resisting his stronger brother and let his head drop down slowly. He sniffled quietly before baring his eyes into Connor's. With a low, shakey voice, he said, "The Marines are goin' 'round shootin' innocents, Con. The infection is back."

"Don't fuckin' say that."Connor growled."Don't ya dare fuckin' say it!"

"I know it, Connor."Murphy whimpered quietly."The blood on the fuckin' walls. The shootin' of men, women and children. Connor, it's in Ireland."

Connor and Murphy tensed up when the sound of heavy footsteps met their ears. They each swallowed hard, knowing that their constant bickering had gotten them caught, if not by Marines, then possibly something much worse. They turned quickly when a womanly voice growled, "Freeze, boys."