‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Interrogation

The dining area of the cabin had become crowded fairly quick, considering we were all standing around the small table we normally had our meals on. I pressed my hands onto the wooden table and watched as Connor, Murphy, Paul and Maire began to debate different scenerios. When they had first arrived back at the cabin, I was nearly in tears when Murphy had explained that the promise he had given me months ago had been broken.

The worry of wanting a weapon in my hands at all times would now be permanent as we tried to escape Ireland's greenery and beautiful scenery. I was a little shocked to see a woman behind the twins as they scrambled into the cabin, locking the door tightly behind them in what I presumed a deep fear. Maire, who's name I had learned a few moments upon her arrival, was in similar clothing to a Marine, which took me by surprise all in it's own.

She had kept her story short in explaining that the infection had spread into the citizens of Ireland, but I had already known that much by then. After Abby had taken a spot on the couch and fallen asleep, we had surrounded the kitchen table to discuss our plans further. Having the idea that Maire had something to do with Ireland's security put me on the edge just slightly. Believing she was here on good terms didn't sit right with me. I wanted to figure her out before we made any rash decisions to leave.

I watched her carefully as she brushed her blonde bangs from her eyes multiple times and continued to point out different areas on a small map that had been hideen at the bottom of one of her many pockets. I knew my tongue wanted to lash out hurtful sayings at this woman, who thought she could turn our home upside down, but I would first hear what she had to offer. I wasn't thinking of just myself, so I had to pick and chose my words more carefully.

If she had any decent information on how to get out of this mess, than I would debate her offer of tagging along with her. What seemed to drive me wild, however, was why she had left her post to help other citizens. Maire ran her slender fingers along the greenery on the map and explained a few different situations to the guys. Paul had a hand rested lightly on his chin as he followed her every move. Paul was much smarter than the twins, so I was hoping he was taking her suggestions as lightly as myself.

I cleared my throat rather loudly and gained the groups' attention. Their eyes flicked up in my direction as I asked, "You some kind of soldier, Maire?"

"Marine. To correct ya."Her words came out cold, like she didn't care for communicating with a woman of my stature.

Connor and Paul let their eyes guide them back down to the map as Maire continued on with her knowledge of different areas that should be safe and appropriate to get through in order to escape this infection. Murphy, on the other hand, kept his narrowed baby blues on me, as if to warn me to stop with my interrogating attitude. When he finished his small stare, he looked back down at the map and followed Maire's fingers as they glided across it.

"I guess even the ill tempered Irish Marines couldn't stop the infection. Ain't that a pitty."I pulled my hands from the table and rested them across my chest.

Maire's intimidating and demeaning gaze slowly rose from the map to me once more. In a low growl, she spat, "Ya guess wrong, hick."

"You let one in, didn't you?"I scoffed lowly."Tired of the same ol' nine to five, huh lass?"

A satisfactory smirk spread across my face as Connor and Murphy's features fell well below angry. Maire straightened her posture and said quietly, "It wasn't me fault. Now if ya would stop bitchin' 'bout every wee thing ya find wrong with me plan, maybe we can get outta here."

"I don't think following you is the best of ideas."I glowered."Why'd you leave, Marine? If I can even call you that."

"The orders were too harsh fer me tastes."She said."I don't need to be interrogated anymore by a fuckin' cop. Ya don't like me ideas, go somewhere else, lass."

"For one, I'm a detective you fuckin' mick. For two, I'm goin' to interrogate you all night if I have to to make sure this group is safe. If your orders were so damn harsh, than why'd you come here? I have a feelin' you're not takin' us to any refuge."I said harshly."Plan on shootin' us from behind when we least expect it?"

"Ya fuckin',"Maire moved forward in an attempt to get physical, but Connor quickly took her by her shoulders.

I stood my ground as Murphy stepped in front of me. I wanted Maire to know I wasn't in the least bit intimidated by her hardcore behavior. It must have angered her more, because the looks she gave me from across the table were less than flattering. Murphy looked down at me and I could see nothing but anger hidden deep behind the irises of his baby blues. Angering Murphy wasn't what I wanted to do; it was keeping us safe at any cost.

Murphy knelt forward and growled, "The fuck ya doin', Adrienne?"

"What I was trained to do back in Louisiana. I don't like her."I spat."And I damn sure don't trust'er."

"'Cause bein' on yer good side is me first priority."She cackled loudly.

"Jus' listen to the lass, Adrienne. Ya don't have to like her. Ya just have to hear her out."Murphy turned back toward the table and ushered Maire to continue on with her ideas.

She kept her eyes on me longer than expected before pointing a boney finger back down at the map.

"They're shuttin' Ireland down within the next few days. If they can't get this shit under control, everythin' ya knew is gonna be gone in no time."Maire said.

"So, what do we do 'bout it?"Connor asked quietly.

"I know a safe zone."Maire said."But I'm gonna need yer full cooperation."

Maire looked back up at me and finished with, "Whether ya trust me or not."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long guys.
My internet & phone have been going in & out a lot.
I think I got it under control now,
so I should be okay for a little while.
Hope you enjoyed the update! :D