‹ Prequel: When the Sun Goes Down

Their Rebellion

Happiness Doesn't Last Forever

I gently folded and placed my things aside, hoping that if I took my time the nightmare would fade away like the United States. I should have been rushing, but I couldn't fight past my tears and quiet sobs as I packed my old duffle bag I had used just a few times before. I pulled open my dresser draw and looked down at the clothes I faught to get over a small amount of time. I would be taking only half of that with me, as well as the guns and ammo we had left over.

I rested my hands on my open dresser drawer and let my head drop slightly. I sniffled quietly, but it was followed after by a loud sob. It was right to think that we were safe, but I had to have expected this coming at some point. We couldn't have prevented this nightmare from coming back to life forever. The freedom was nice while it lasted, but now we would have to face the world again and hope for the best. Maire was a large concern of mine, being that she had such a cold attitude.

I was afraid to follow the conniving Marine, because I had a feeling she was hiding something from the group. I can see why Connor and Murphy wanted to trust her, because she had the large gun, training and orders from inside of Ireland. They wanted so quickly to throw their trust onto this woman and believe that she would handle it with care, rather than step on it the first chance she got. Mama always told me I wasn't one to trust easily and this is another one of those cases.

I wiped roughly at my swollen eyes and tried to clear my throat of any shakiness. I should have been done packing my bag by now, but instead of I stood here crying, as if getting upset will make things better for us. I could hear the thick patter of footsteps along the floor, but I didn't turn to face who I believed to be Murphy. I just grabbed a handful of my sweatshirts and shirts and shoved them into my bag as low as possible. I needed all the room I could get if I wanted to fit Abby, Paul, Connor and Murphy's clothes in here.

"Adrienne, have ya seen me bag of guns?"Murphy scratched at the back of his head, trying his hardest to think of where he had put it last.

It had been a few months since he had to use it, so thinking of where it could be now was a little useless. I threw a finger toward the bed and whimpered, "Under there."

"Thank -"Murphy stopped, because he knew very well that the uneasiness in my voice meant I was upset.

I knew he was walking up behind me, so I bit down on my bottom lip to stiffle a quiet cry. I sniffled as quietly as possible before shutting my dresser draw. I tensed up significantly when Murphy wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my shoulder. He pressed a small kiss on my cheek and whispered, "Ya'll 'right, love?"

I gently grabbed Murphy's wrists and ran my thumb along his skin. I gave him an unusually slow nod of my head, but he didn't believe me. He gave me a turn so I was facing him, but before he could say another thing, I had begun to cry. It wasn't something I wanted to do in front of him, since he had only seen me upset on three occasions, which happened to be Mama's and Noah's death, as well as when we first arrived in Ireland, but I couldn't quite help it.

Murphy pulled me into a warm, comfortable hug and whispered, "S'alright, Adrienne."

"It's really not, Murph."I tightened my arms as far as they could reach around his chest and tangled my fingers in his long sleeved shirt."I thought we were gonna be safe."

Murphy squeezed me tighter, forcing me to wince slightly at the pressure. He ran a large hand in between my shoulder blades and said, "We'll be alright. There's a safe zone not far from here and we'll live like we did before."

"What if it's a trick, Murph?"After Murphy realized I wanted out of his grip, he loosened it dramatically.

I pulled away, only to look up into his bright blue eyes and hope he knew that Maire had the slight possibility of turning on the group for her own safety. Murphy cupped my chin in his hand and said, "S'not a trick."

"How do you know? The entire military,"I pulled my face from his hand and ran my fingers nervously through my hair."is killin' everyone. You said it yourself, Murph. What if she thinks this whole thing over and jus' puts a gun to our hea -"

"Adrienne, calm down."Murphy whispered softly."Maire had the chance to kill us. She didn't. It's gonna be alright."

Murphy took my hands in his and gave me a quirky smile. Even though I was fearful and upset, I found myself laughing quietly at his childish actions. He tugged lightly on my hands and said, "I promise I'll keep yas safe, Adrienne. Jus' like last time. Nothin' will happen to yas."

I quickly snaked my arms around his chest once more, earning a much needed hug from the man I'd come to trust so much. I sighed quietly into his shirt before forcing myself to pull away. I went to turn toward the dresser, but Murphy quickly grabbed my hand and said, "Hey, I think yer forgettin' somethin'."

I turned back to him and jumped slightly when he came forward, eager to get a quick kiss before he left to attend the horses. I chuckled lightly as he grabbed the bag from under the bed and smiled. We looked in the direction of the door when there was a light knock, to see that Paul had leaned up against the framing. He had that conceited smirk pressed against his lips, a cigarette hanging loosely from the bottom and said, "Your chariot awaits, my good man."

"Thanks."Murphy laughed."I'll be right back, Adrienne."

He reached forward once more, this time giving the kiss much more passion than the first time around. Murphy nearly skipped his way out the door as I ran a cold hand over my eyes once more. It had been a long, tiring morning and we were just getting started. Paul plucked the cigarette from in between his lips and said, "Don't worry, I'm on your side. I don't care for this snobby irish bitch either. But, regardless, you know we'll be okay."

"Yeah."I whispered softly.

"Finish packing. We've got a lot to do."He turned on his heel, leaving just a trail of cigarette smoke behind him.

I turned back to the bag that had now made a place on the floor and sighed quietly. I could smell the smoke lingering from Paul, which seemed to give me the slight jitters. I looked up at the clock on the wall and whispered, "I need a fuckin' cigarette."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm. I think I'm gonna start a Sons Of Anarchy story.
I don't know yet.
And it's an amazing show on FX,
if you didn't know :)
I'm still debating though.