Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Ten

The next morning I rolled out of bed and was very careful to cover my extremely short pajama shorts with plaid flannel PJ pants before I tiptoed out into the living room. Geno and Matt were passed out on the floor, while Kris was sleeping in the chair, and Marc was sprawled out on the couch. I smelled coffee and immediately walked into the kitchen, where I found Sidney leaning against the counter, shirtless and nursing a mug of steaming coffee. My heart immediately fluttered as I took in the sight of his beautifully carved chest and six pack abs, but I peeled my eyes away from his body and looked at his face. He looked pretty happy for a guy who should have a hangover.

"Sleep well?" I asked, brushing past him and opening the cabinet where Marc kept the mugs. I reached up and slipped my finger into the handle of one before pulling it out and pouring myself a cup of coffee.

"Like a brick," Sidney smiled before sipping his coffee. I grabbed a sugar packet from the counter top, where Sidney had left them, and poured it into my coffee before tugging open the fridge and pouring a small amount of soy milk into the cup. I stirred it and for a moment the only sound in the kitchen was the sound of my spoon clanking against the sides of the mug.

"So, how's the hangover?" I asked before sipping my coffee. It was bittersweet, just the way I liked it.

"Um...not too bad. So, soy milk? Are you a vegan or something?" Sidney asked, pointing towards the fridge. Why the sudden change of subject? I shook my head.

"No, lactose intolerant." I said, choosing to let it go.
____________________________________________________________________________________

"So did you have fun last night?" Marc asked several hours later. He looked haggard, and was obviously nursing a horrible headache.

"Yeah, you could say that," I said, lounging on the couch where he had been sleeping.

"So...I heard you and Sid had a bit of a run in last night...and that you were topless," Marc said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. I tossed a pillow at his head and rolled my eyes.

"It wasn't like that. I walked into my room and took my shirt off because I was gonna go to bed, but then I heard him scream," I explained, resting my head against the arm of the couch. I bit back the urge to wander into memory lane and reminisce on the kiss we shared.

"So how drunk do you think he was last night?" Marc asked. I raised my eyebrows, sighed, and rolled my head to the side so I could see him.

"Pretty drunk...I mean, he had to be," I said, regretting the last half of the comment as soon as it escaped my lips.

"Why do you say that?" Marc asked, his eyes immediately perking up.

"Because he...he kissed me," I admitted, my face flushing violently. Marc chuckled and shook his head.

"He wasn't drunk," Marc said quietly.

"What?" I asked, bolting upright.

"He wasn't drunk...I don't think, anyway," Marc said, laughing at my reaction.

"Then why would he...?" I started.

"Kiss you? Because a) you're hot. B) you hang out with us all the time, and don't treat him any differently than the rest of us, and c) because of what you told Geno. You said that Sid being rich and famous didn't matter to you...Sid's been looking for a girl who isn't going to crush his heart for a long time. All of his past girlfriends were after his fame and fortune. You're special Alice, and he sees that just as well as the rest of us. I think it was fate that you were the one to find that ad I put in the paper first." Marc explained, sipping some water from the bottle that he had in his hand. I simply stared at him, my thoughts reeling.

"You're special Alice, and he sees that just as well as the rest of us." Me, special? But...he's not the only one who's been heartbroken...