Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Thirteen

I led Sidney down an alley, up to the abandoned warehouse I had become so fond of when I couldn't handle being in the hotel room or Starbucks anymore. He stared up at it for a few minutes and then looked at me.

"How the heck did you find this place?" he asked as I pulled open the door. The building was dusty from sitting here for years, and there were various tags spray painted all over the walls, but the holes in the ceiling allowed the sun to shine in and create a pleasant, almost ancient, atmosphere.

"Well I moved to Pittsburgh unofficially at first, just looking for a job...and sometimes I got tired of writing in the hotel room or whatever, so eventually I found this place. I sat here for hours sometimes, just writing and hoping someone would call my phone," I explained, sitting on a fallen beam. Sidney straddled the same beam a few feet away and tossed me my salad.

"It's actually pretty neat. I'm surprised they didn't tear it down though," Sidney said, looking around. I shrugged and opened my salad before looking at him again. He was staring at me, a slightly confused look on his face.

"What's up?" I asked him, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"You haven't worn your hair down before...I mean, your bangs have always been down, but it's all down today," he said quietly.

"I guess not..." I said, touching the strands of hair that were resting against my neck. Sidney shoved a forkful of salad into his mouth and glanced down. I sighed.

"What?" he asked, looking back up.

"Sid...were you drunk the other night?" I asked suddenly. He blanched and nodded quickly, then shook his head, then shrugged his shoulders and shoved more salad in his mouth.

"I waf kinda dwunk I gueff," he said, his mouth full of salad.

"Kind of drunk?" I asked, pressing him further. He swallowed roughly, guzzled some of the water bottle he had brought and then coughed.

"Alright...I wasn't all that drunk," he admitted, blushing.

"But you kissed me..." I said quietly, half questioning it.

"I did..." he muttered. His cheeks were burning up, and I couldn't help but love how adorable it was.

"Why did you pretend to be drunk when you did?" I asked, questions filling my head.

"Because I was scared," he said quickly. I felt my jaw drop slightly.

"Scared? Of me?" I asked. A pigeon cooed overhead as I stared at Sidney, waiting for an answer.

"Yeah..." he mumbled. I scooted forward on the beam, silently thanking God that I had opted for pants instead of a skirt today. He stared at me, his eyes wide with an apprehensive fear, and I reached out calmly, taking his hand in mine. He stared at our hands, and then back at my face.

"You don't have anything to be afraid of Sid...I don't bite," I laughed. He smiled nervously, and scooted a little closer, moving his salad onto the floor next to his feet. I did the same and he reached out with his other hand, cupping my jaw. He pulled me forward and tilted my head up before kissing me gently. I melted, my heart threatening to burst out of my chest, and kissed him back. Our fingers laced together and his thumb brushed against my cheek gently as we kissed. We broke apart just long enough to breathe, and then our lips met again. Sidney's kiss became a little rougher, a little more needy, and I melted into his chest. His hand abandoned my face and twined itself in my thick hair. My free hand wandered up his wonderfully muscular chest and I felt his heart pounding beneath my fingertips. His tongue flicked against my lips, and I opened my mouth slightly. Our tongues slid together, dancing together in a sweet, exciting kiss. I was amazed at how wonderfully innocent the kiss was. Any other guy I had made out with before always had something a little more urgent in his actions, and I could practically taste the sex they wanted on their tongues. Sidney...Sidney just seemed needy in an innocent way, and I knew that I was just as innocent in that moment as he was. I melted even more when a slight whimper escaped his throat. The kiss seemed to last only seconds, but in reality I knew we had been kissing for a few minutes by the time we broke apart. He looked at me, his deep hazel eyes locking with my green eyes and in that moment I knew that this was the start of something very different than my other relationships.