Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Fifteen

"Alice isn't the 4th of July this weekend?" Marc asked, barely glancing up from the newspaper he was reading. I beamed with pride when I saw that my article on the Penguins upcoming season had made the front page.

"Yeah, it's in two days...why?" I asked, glancing back at my laptop. For once in my very short career, my inbox was empty.

"I want to have a party," he said. I looked at him and raised my eyebrows.

"Aren't you Canadian?" I asked. He laughed and put down the paper.

"Yes, which is exactly why you should plan it! I can invite the usuals, and maybe a few other guys and their girls," Marc smiled. He knew I was desperate to hang out with some girls for once in my life. I sighed and pulled out my cellphone.

"Fine, but we're going to Jersey," I smirked.
___________________________________________________________________________________

"Woah, this place is incredible!" Marc said as I opened the door to the family shore house. I nodded and tossed my suitcase next to the door.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool. My dad wanted something crazy big, and for once my mom let him do it," I said as Marc walked back out to the car.
"Your parents are wealthy then?" he asked, heaving a case of beer out of the trunk of the car.

"Incredibly, but except for this house they don't really flaunt it," I explained, grabbing a box of groceries.

"So we had to come all the way to Jersey for this party huh?" Marc asked, placing the beer on the kitchen table.

"Hell yeah! It's not like that plane ticket was super expensive. With your paycheck, that's pocket change. Besides, a nice weekend down the shore will be fun," I said, putting the box on the table as well.

"I guess," Marc said with a smile before walking out the door again.

By the time we had finished unpacking the car, it was already 2:30. I groaned and grabbed my suitcase.

"What are you whining about? Aren't we supposed to be having fun now?" Marc chuckled, grabbing his bag.

"We're missing all the best beach time! I'm going to get changed and then we're going to the beach," I said sternly before dashing up the stairs to the room that I usually occupied when my family stayed at the beach house. The blinds were open, and sunlight streamed in through sheer black curtains. I tossed my suitcase on the bed, which was white wood with drawers underneath, and had a black comforter and red sheets on it, and tugged the blinds closed. I unzipped the suitcase and took out my favorite bathing suit before ripping my clothes off. I slipped on the black and gold bikini top, the black bottoms, and black swim trunks over top of them, and then grabbed a loose yellow teeshirt out of the suitcase as well. I slipped it on and then turned in shock as the door swung open.

"MARC ARE YOU NUTS?!" I screamed.

"I'm not Marc, but yeah, I'm a little crazy," Sidney smiled, leaning against the door frame. I smiled and ran over to hug him.

"What are you doing here? I thought you couldn't get a flight until tomorrow!" I cried happily. He hugged me tightly and kissed me on the top of my head.

"Marc and I plotted a bit and I got on the flight right after yours. He figured it'd be nice for us to hang out together alone before everyone else got here and this place turns into party central. So, what's this I hear about us going to the beach?" Sidney asked, his eyes smiling just as much as his face.

"We're going...hurry up and get changed!" I demanded, glancing at his gray teeshirt and black and white shorts.
"I'm wearing my bathing suit already. I kind of figured that we'd be going to the beach, so I came prepared. I have a bag with towels and sunscreen and stuff ready thanks to Marc, so let's roll," Sidney said, dragging me out of the room.