Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Eighteen

The following evening the house was even more crowded than it had been the day before. Sidney was right when he said that a lot of the guys would be picking up girls, and I couldn't help but shake my head at the ridiculous amount of scantily dressed women parading around. Music was being blasted, Martin and Marc were at the grill, and everyone was having a great time, so I didn't care either way. I sipped a beer casually and made my way over to Mattias Tedenby.

"Hey there," I said, hopping up onto the stool next to the one he was sitting on.

"Hey. So, this is a great party. Two days of nothing but fun and beer is my idea of a good time!" he smiled. I raised my eyebrows. Isn't he supposed to be missing teeth?

"Thanks! It was really Marc's idea though," I said, pointing out the window to the deck where Marc was flipping burgers.

"So you are with Sidney I hear?" he asked. I nodded and sipped my beer again.

"Yeah. We've been together for...um...4 days? Jeeze, everyone knows already," I laughed.

"Well when you're dating one of the biggest names in hockey, word goes around pretty quick. Notice how none of the women are going for him?" Mattias explained, pointing to Sidney, who was chatting idly with Cookie and Geno. Geno had girls fawning over him, while Cookie had his arm wrapped around Michelle almost defensively. Some of the girls had their eyes on Sidney, but they had the air of someone who wouldn't dare go for it.

"That's weird," I said simply.

"You aren't happy about it?" Mattias asked, slightly surprised.

"It doesn't bother me either way. I'm not the jealous type really. It's all about trust," I said, just as my nose began to bleed again.

"That's a nasty break." Mattias chuckled, handing me some napkins.

"You can bwame Did for dis," I muttered, my words muffled by bloody napkins.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Fireworks exploded against the night sky, showers of red and silver cascading down from the heavens. Blue crackled across streams of red and silver, followed by gold, green, and pink. We all sat on the beach, the cool evening sand squishing between my toes. Sidney had his arm around my waist and I rested my head on his shoulder. His eyes reflected the fireworks, and his lips were curled into a soft smile.

"I love fireworks," he muttered happily. I nodded in agreement.

"They're pretty," I said, equally as quiet. The boom and crackle of the fireworks, the roar of the ocean, and the soft conversation of the people around us was all we could hear other than ourselves.

"So are you," he said before kissing my cheek. I snuggled into him and he sighed happily.