Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Twenty One

I stayed late at work for the next week, and I didn't charge my phone once it died. I was so tired of the chaos of the team that I was sorely tempted to bail on Marc and sleep at a hotel for a few nights, but I resisted the urge and instead overwhelmed myself with work. Not only was I producing at least 2 good articles a day, but I had taken to reading and rereading ESPN reports, editing other people's work, and watching highlight reels from any source I could get just so that I wouldn't have to deal with anyone. It wasn't until I found a note on my desk after lunch that I realized that I probably wasn't going with the best option.

Hey. So I know that you're probably ticked off about the whole fight thing, and I know that I made some dumb decisions...but I want to talk to you. Screw that, I need to talk to you. We haven't been dating that long, but you make everything seem okay with the world. You know what I'm going through, and it would really help if you'd stop ignoring all of us. Well, if you want to talk, give me a call. Sid.

I felt the tears well up in my eyes and I sighed. I really was being an ass, but I didn't want a trip down memory lane. When I got home (on time for once) I immediately plugged my phone into the charger and turned it on. When it turned on I saw 48 missed calls, 57 texts, and 47 voicemails. Most of them were from Sidney, but there were some from a few other guys and one from my mom as well. I sighed and called Sidney.

"Hello?" he said.

"Hey," I said.

"You got my note?" he asked.

"Yeah...I'm sorry," I mumbled. He sighed in relief.

"I'm coming over," He said before hanging up. I just flopped down on my bed and lay there until he walked in.

"Alice..." he said quietly before climbing into the bed next to me and pulling me into his arms. Suddenly I began to sob.

"Sid I'm sorry! I just...I couldn't handle all of this. It was just too familiar and painful for me," I explained tearfully. He wiped the tears off of my face, kissed my eyes, and then stared at me.

"You never told me," he said.

"I'm sure there are plenty of things you haven't told me either," I said defensively. He frowned.

"That isn't the point. You could have talked to me about it when I called you, but you just ignored me. Ignored the whole situation," he said. I nodded.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, shame creeping into my voice.

"Look...Max and I talked. A lot. And then we talked together with Annabeth. She hasn't told her parents yet," Sidney explained. He looked sad, and frightened.

"What is she going to do?" I asked.

"She's going to have the baby...move in with Max and go to college here. She was already accepted into the local university and she told them she was living with me, so she's already set for her future. We're going to tell my aunt and uncle when they come down next week. They always visit me once a year, so Annabeth and I figured that it would be best to do it then," Sidney said. I squeezed his hand tightly.

"They're not going to be happy," I said.

"I know," he sighed.

"Are you going to help her out?" I asked.

"What kind of cousin would I be if I didn't?" he asked.
___________________________________________________________________________________

"So Annabeth is going to move in with Max, and Alice and I are going to help her out as much as we can," Sidney said, running his hands nervously up and down his legs. Annabeth's parents stared at him, obviously appalled.

"Annabeth...I thought we raised you to know better!" her mother croaked. I swallowed nervously, and glanced at Annabeth, who I had just met that day. She looked almost exactly like Sidney, but her eyes were green and her lips weren't as full. Her eyes were full of tears.

"I...I didn't plan on this happening," she croaked. I reached out and grabbed her thin hand under the table.

"Don't plan on coming home over break," her father said sternly. She paled and began to quake.

"W-what?" she stuttered.
"Don't come home," her mother said savagely before walking out. Her father quickly followed suit and the door slammed moments later. She let out a wail and threw her head into her arms. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and Sidney ran his hands through his hair.

"Annabeth...it's going to be okay," I said quietly.

"No it's not! My life is over!" she wailed into her arms.

"Honey, your life isn't over! My sister had the same thing happen and she graduated with honors from her college program. She's a teacher now! You can do this," I said, trying to comfort her. She sniffled.

"Really?" she asked, her eyes bloodshot and tearstained.

"Yes," I said. She managed to smile weakly.

"Annabeth, you can stay here tonight if you want, Sidney said.

"Are you staying here?" she asked me. I raised my eyebrows.

"Am I?" I asked Sidney. He looked from his frightened, distraught cousin, to me, and then shrugged.

"If you want," he said before walking out of the kitchen.

"Do you want me to stay?" I asked Annabeth. She nodded furiously.

"Please," she said, her voice pleading.

That night I slipped into Sidney's enormous bed and sighed.

"Alice you know you're amazing right?" Sidney asked, rolling over and hugging me tightly.

"Thanks babe," I mumbled.

"Why are you a journalist? You should be a psychologist or a counselor or something," he asked, looking at me.

"I like writing," I said simply.

"You know it won't be long until you have to write about what happened, right?" Sidney asked.

"I know," I sighed.

"What are you going to say?" he asked. I could see the fear for his cousin written all over his face.

"I'll tell the truth, and keep as much of it in the dark as possible," I said, rolling over to face him. He kissed my forehead and then nuzzled his nose against mine.

"Thank you," he said before I slipped off into a deep sleep.