Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Twenty Eight

The next night I found myself watching the game on TV, suffering from a terrible stomach virus. In between bouts of puking all over, I took notes. I promised Mr. Whitacre a good article, regardless of whether I went or not, and he had accepted due to the fact that I currently had connections to the Penguins. Sidney had texted me before the game telling me to go to sleep, but I knew that I had to get the article in or face the wrath of Penguins fans across the city. The Pens lost 4-3 against Boston, and after the game Sidney immediately called me.

"Hey babe," I said.

"Hey..." he said. He was bummed, and I knew it.

"Don't be too bummed...it was close," I said.

"Our defense was crap," he sighed.

"Yeah, but you'll get it next time," I said.

"I guess...so I kind of wanted to talk to you about something..." he said. Oh no, here we go....

"What's up?" I asked.

"What are we doing for Christmas?" he asked. I blanched, but it was more to blame on the horrible stomach cramp I just got.

"I...uh...I'm not sure. What do you want to do?" I asked.

"I was thinking that we could have a nice dinner at my place Christmas Eve with Annabeth, Maxie, Geno, and Flowers, and you could stay overnight. Then we could spend Christmas morning at my place, and then you can go see your family or whatever," Sidney said. Wow, he's really been planning this, hasn't he?

"That sounds great, but I'm not going to see my family this year," I sighed.

"What? Why not?" he asked, shock creeping into his voice.

"They're going to see my sister, who is in China," I said.
___________________________________________________________________________________

"Marc what am I gonna get Sidney?" I whined, laying on the couch with my face buried in the pillow.

"I don't know, but whatever it is...make sure it's nothing cooler than what you got me," he smirked. I rolled over and stared at him.

"What makes you think I got you something?" I asked.

"The box in your room labeled 'Flowers'," he laughed.

"Why were you in my room?" I asked.

"I saw the boxes, duh!" he said.

"Jerk," I muttered.

"It's cool that you got everyone presents though," he said.

"I didn't get everyone presents," I said.

"I meant me, Max, Geno, Cookie, and Annabeth," he said, rolling his eyes.
"Oh...well I couldn't not get them something," I laughed.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I smoothed out the front of my dress and walked out into the hall nervously. Marc whistled at me and I blushed.

"Is it too much?" I asked, turning to examine the back of the dress. It was a knee length black dress with a plunging neckline and a red silk bow around the waist.
"No, it's just right for Christmas dinner. It's classy," Marc said, grabbing my hand and spinning me around. I swear sometimes his nickname suits him too well.

"Okay, well let's get rolling then," I said, grabbing my coat off of the couch.