Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Three

The next few days were full of congratulatory phone calls, text messages and emails. When I wasn't being bombarded with messages I tore through newspaper after newspaper, searching for available apartments in Pittsburgh. I was living out of a hotel room for a few weeks, thanks to my parents' generosity.

"We'll help you get by until you're all settled in," they said. I felt bad, but I didn't have much money in my bank account, and if it wasn't for that luckily obtained full ride scholarship, I'd be up past my head in student loans too. I found an ad and as I read it, it sounded perfect.

2 Bedroom, 1 Bath, prefurnished apartment in Downtown Pittsburg. Single male seeking roommate that can tolerate erratic schedules, and occasional guests. Rent to be split evenly, as well as grocery bills. Call (555) 769-5475 for more information.

I found myself picking up the phone and dialing the number quickly. I drummed my fingers against the small bureau to my right as the phone rang.

"Hello?" the man who had placed the ad asked.

"Hi, I saw your ad in the paper...I was calling to find out more about it," I said quickly. I heard some papers ruffling in the background before he cleared his throat.

"Yes. I am looking for a roommate who can tolerate my...busy schedule. I know some people are bothered by it. I also have lots of people over from time to time," he said. He had a heavy accent...French maybe?

"Yes, I saw that in your ad," I said, smiling.

"Okay. The rent is $450 a month, plus the groceries and everything, but we can work out some other sort of deal if it is needed," the man said. I nodded, jotted that down on the newspaper and pulled out the letter I had been emailed from Diane. My starting salary is $14. 50 an hour...8 hour days, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month...I can do $450 rent. I thought.

"Sir, I think I'll take it," I said.

"Really? No other questions, just 'you'll take it?'" the man asked incredulously.

"Well I can handle crazy schedules, I'm a reporter. The guests, well that I can handle too. How about we give this a...3 month trial run, and then at the end of 3 months I can decide whether or not to stay?" I asked, thinking quickly. I was the type of person to jump right into opportunities, and this seemed like a good one.

"I think I can agree to that miss..." he started.

"Parker. Alice Parker," I said.

"I am Mark. How about you come to the apartment tomorrow evening? If you'd like, you can move in then too. I have no roommate now, so the room is clean and empty." he said. I have a good feeling about this one.