Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Thirty Six

The locker room was never as loud as it was when I walked back in. Okay, scratch that. The only time it was louder was when we won the Stanley Cup though.

"DAMMIT YEAH SID!" Evgeni cried, flinging his arms around me. Everyone followed suit, hugging me, slapping me on the back, rubbing my head, and causing a ruckus. Alice had returned to her seat so that I could "concentrate on the game". Like I'm going to be able to concentrate right now. Honestly, I don't even care if we win or lose tonight. I'm the happiest man on earth. I hurriedly wiped a happy tear off of my cheek and cleared my throat.

"Alright guys, let's get our asses in gear and win this game!" I said over the riot that was taking place around me.

"Let's get it done!" I heard one of the guys yell.

We rallied until the last second of the game. I scored the goal that tied the game with 23 seconds to go in regulation. For some reason, my game was better than it had been before the second intermission. Overtime went scoreless, with Flowers and Marty both tearing up the crease like the machines that they were. It was a shootout now, and I felt the usual jitters as I took center ice to shoot...for the second time (both goalies were on their A game tonight, so this shootout was taking FOREVER). The crowd booed as usual, and I was sure that Alice was joining in, with that adorably mischievous smile that she got when she teased me. Thinking of Alice made my heart surge. Holy shit, we're going to get married one day! Dammit Sid, pay attention to the game! The ref blew his whistle and I skated to get the puck. It hit my stick, and I took off, rocketing towards Marty. His sharp blue eyes followed my every movement, and he didn't skate out to confront me. He was way too good, knowing full well what I was planning on doing. I pulled the puck so that it was on the back of my stick, snapped it back to the front, and flipped it up. It rocketed off the post with a clang, and dropped behind Marty. He immediately snow-angeled, but it wasn't enough. The red light lit up behind him. I heard the guys on the bench yelling, and I was immediately bum rushed. Damn, did we really win this one? I guess so. I wonder if Alice is happy or pissed off. As the guys got off of me, and hand reached out to help me up. I took it without second thought, and then started as I realized that the sleeve was red.

"Congrats on the engagement Sidney," Marty said, smiling at me. I felt my face burst into a huge grin.

"Thanks Marty," I said.

"I'm glad she's got good taste in hockey players," he chuckled.

"What?...Oh! The jersey! Yeah, she's fiercely devoted to the Devils. You know that," I laughed.

"Yeah, well I can't be caught fraternizing with the enemy...I'll text you later," Marty said before skating off. He's such a great guy. I'm really going to miss playing for Team Canada with him. OH HELL. CANADA. MY PARENTS.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Sidney ignored every reporter in the locker room, which was unusual, and made a beeline straight for me. He scooped me up into his arms and kissed me. It was such a loving kiss that I blushed, feeling his smile against my lips.

"So you need to meet my parents," he whispered into my ear as he put me down and hugged me.

"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Isn't it kind of weird that we're engaged now and I've never met them?" I asked.

"Not necessarily. We live in Pittsburgh, they live in Canada. Kind of far, yeah?" Sidney said.

"True." I smiled. Reporters were barking questions at us, and shoving all kinds of things into our faces.

"I'm sorry, but I will not be taking any questions tonight," Sidney said, holding up his hands before whisking me off down the hallway. A few reporters stared at us, completely dumbfounded. I shrugged, wrapped my arm around his waist, and let the biggest smile I've ever had spread across my face.

"So Mom, I've got some good news. You heard already, eh? No, no. I talked to Dad about it a few weeks ago. He sent me grandma's ring and everything. Yes...yeah, that's fine. Yeah. I have room. Mmhmm. No, I don't think that'll be a problem. Alright. Love you too. 'Bye," Sidney said before hanging up the phone.

"Your mom is excited, isn't she?" I asked.

"You have no idea," Sidney laughed.

"Did I hear you say that this was your grandma's ring?" I asked, staring at the ring on my finger. It was simple, and yet it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It was a thin silver band with a round diamond about as big as a pencil eraser. Sidney blushed.

"Yeah...she gave it to my dad with the intention that I would give it to the woman I loved. It's really special to me," Sidney said, running his hand through his hair. I cupped his face in my hands and kissed him for a very long time. I poured all of my love into the kiss, and for once it didn't turn into a make out session.

"I love you," I whispered. He kissed the tip of my nose.

"I love you too," he smiled. His phone went off though, and he frowned.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's Marc...hello? Yeah, thanks man. No, I don't think so. Uh huh. Yeah. Oh shut up. Yeah, you know I will. Alright. Alright. 'Bye," he said.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"He wants to know if you're going home tonight or not. I kind of decided that you're not," Sidney smirked.

"Woah, woah. Why don't I get to decide?" I asked, smiling a bit.
"Because we have a date to go on. Duh," he laughed before opening the car door for me.

"Oh jeeze...because that proposal wasn't romantic enough?" I asked.

"I don't know...but we are going out to celebrate," Sidney smiled before closing the door behind me. This is amazing.