Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Thirty Seven

When I woke up, it wasn't to the scream of an alarm clock. I yawned and stretched luxuriously, my left hand landing squarely on Sidney's chest.

"Good morning sleepy head," he smiled, taking my hand and kissing it.

"Good morning," I smiled before rolling over and kissing him. He smiled and pulled me on top of him. I broke away and simply rested my head on his bare chest. His heart rumbled happily and the rise and fall of his chest with every breath he took almost lulled me back to sleep.

"No going to sleep again!" he said, lifting his head to look at me. I pouted.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because you have to stay awake. I dreamed about you, but I want the real thing now," he said. I blushed.

"You dreamed about me?" I asked.

"Yeah...I do a lot actually," he said matter-of-factly.

"That's kind of cute," I smiled.

"You're kind of cute," he smiled back.
"Sidney you're not trying to get any, are you?" I laughed.

"No, I'm being genuinely nice right now. I promise," he said before pulling me up and sitting up. I snuggled into his lap and placed my arms around his shoulders.

"Good, because I'm too sleepy to be sexy," I said before nuzzling his neck. That and he's going to have to work for it if he wants it. I smiled evilly into his neck and he sighed happily.

"So...breakfast?" he asked.

"What about it?" I asked.

"Are we having it?" he laughed.

"I guess," I sighed.

"These are the best damn pancakes I've ever had. I swear," he said before wolfing down another one.

"I guess that's why Marc makes me make them all the time," I smiled, taking a bite of my own pancake.

"YOU MADE FLOWERS BREAKFAST BEFORE ME!?" Sidney wailed.

"I live with him..." I said slowly, raising my eyebrows.

"...We're going to have to fix that," Sidney said.

"What?" I said.

"You can't live with Marc when you're my fiancee. I won't allow it!" Sidney said, putting a snobby spin on his voice. I chuckled.

"Well, try telling Marc to find another room mate. I just signed an agreement to live there for a year. I can't exactly bail on him now. Besides, they say you're not supposed to live with your significant other until you're married," I said. Sidney raised his eyebrows.

"Where'd you hear that?" he asked.

"Some study. Apparently people who live together before they're married get divorced more often," I sighed.

"That sucks," he frowned.

"Totally," I agreed.

"Well then, let's not do that," he said before taking another bite of pancake.
________________________________________________________________________________

I went numb when there was a knock on Sidney's front door. He had said that there would be some people here to meet me today, but at first it didn't register. When it finally did register, I knew. The time had come for me to meet Trina and Troy Crosby.

"Hi," I said, opening the door meekly. I was immediately pulled into a tight hug by his mother.

"It is so nice to finally meet you Alice! Sidney has told us so much about you and we couldn't wait to meet you!" she beamed.

"Thanks, it's nice to meet you too!" I said, smiling. Sidney's father, Troy, simply shook my hand but the smile on his face reflected the same enthusiasm.

"Finally got a nice young woman to help you out, huh Sid?" he asked, turning to his son.

"I don't know about helping me out, but yeah," Sidney laughed.

"Alice, would you be a dear and help me with the bags?" Trina asked. I nodded and walked outside to where there was a black SUV parked in the driveway behind Sidney's 'Stang and my Saturn.

"So...if Sid's told you anything bad, it's lies. I promise," I said, trying to relax.

"Trust me, he's said nothing bad. You're just as pretty as he described though! His sister wanted to come, but with school we couldn't let her," Trina explained.

"Yeah, he told me about her. I want to meet her one day," I said with a light smile. Sidney was extremely proud of his little sister.

"You will, I'm sure. She's determined to get down here for a game," Trina laughed, hauling a suitcase out of the trunk. I grabbed the other suitcase and she shut the trunk.

"Oh, I believe it," I smiled.