Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Forty One

The following night the team was in good spirits. Marc had called each and every team member threatening in various ways the torture they would go through if they lost the game. I was sitting in the team box for once because Sidney had insisted that I sit there. I grudgingly accepted, and had to dress more nicely than my usual game day jeans and jersey. It was the 3rd period, and the team was up 4-2. Sidney had racked up two of the goals for the Penguins when my phone began to ring. I checked it and saw that it was an unknown number. I slipped out of the box and answered the call.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hello Alice. I’ve been watching you for quite some time.” A man said on the other end. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

“Who is this?” I asked.

“Never mind who this is…I want you to pass along a little message for me.” The man said. His voice made me shudder slightly. It was dark and gravely, like the bad guys in a horror film.

“What message?” I managed to croak.

“Tell your darling little Sidney that he better not score more than once at the next game.” He said simply.

“What happens if he does?” I squeaked.

“I will kill him.” The man said.

“Please tell me this is some sort of sick prank.” I said.

“No. If he scores more than once Sunday, I will make sure that he dies. You have some sway over him, so I figured you would be the best messenger for me.” The man said.

“Y-you’re sick!” I cried.

“No, I’m not sick. Just make sure Sidney knows. Goodbye Alice.” The man said before hanging up. I ran into the box, and Mario jumped up as soon as he saw me.

“Alice, what’s wrong?” He asked.

As I told Mario what had happened he grew pale.

“This is very bad.” He said quietly.

“You’re telling me!” I said, rubbing my arms. The game was almost over, and Sidney was racing towards the goal on a breakaway. Hats flew as he popped the puck into the net, but for once in my life I didn’t celebrate.

“We’ll have to inform the police, and we’ll have to talk to Sidney. I’ll bring him up here, and you can speak with police in the mean time.” Mario said before pulling out his own phone.

“Are you serious?” Sidney asked. Mario and I both nodded grimly.

“We can’t scratch you, you’re the captain and with Marc hurt we really need you to be there. Just…just don’t score more than one goal.” Mario said quietly.

“There’s no way, this guy is obviously off his rocker. I’m not going to let someone scare me into submission!” Sidney cried. I grabbed his hands and he looked at me.

“Sidney…please…just…just don’t do it. Please.” I squeaked. His eyes were mixed, determination and confusion turned them a muddled swampy brown.

“Alice...I…I can’t promise that I won’t, but unless I absolutely have to, I won’t.” Sidney said after a while. I felt my heart thump, knowing full well that if it came down to it, Sidney would score that second goal.

“Sidney are you insane? You have someone threatening your life and you’re still willing to score a second goal?” Mario asked.

“Like I said, I won’t let a nut job scare me into submission.” Sidney said before walking out of the box. I collapsed into a chair and put my head in my hands. Mario placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“I’ll make sure that he doesn’t have to score that second goal. I’ll talk to the boys. They’ll get the job done.” Mario said before walking out of the box. I swear this week is just one nightmare after another.

The next day I woke up and found roses on my end table. I bolted upright and checked my phone. It was February 14th.

“Shit!” I hissed, dashing out of the bedroom. Sidney wasn’t in the apartment, which made me raise an eyebrow. There was a note on the table, and I unfolded it.

Alice,
Went to the morning skate, I’ll be back around 3. I love you.
Sidney


I let out a sigh of relief and checked the clock. It was 9:30 AM. I dressed quickly, grabbed a bowl of cereal, and hurried out to the mall.

“What the hell am I going to get Sid?” I muttered, looking around. I eventually found myself in front of a small photo shop. I slowly pulled my camera out of my purse, and turned it on. It was teeming with pictures of Sidney and I, from our first date on the beach, to the proposal (I had discovered later that some of the guys had stolen my camera memory card so they could take pictures for me). I smiled at each and every picture. One of my favorites was from right after Christmas. I was sitting in a pile of snow with the touque Sidney had given me for Christmas on, and Sidney had his arms wrapped around me and was smiling broadly. His head was perched on mine, and we both looked incredibly happy. I walked into the shop, bought a large black photo book, and printed all of the pictures. I found a beautifully simple silver picture frame, and bought that as well.

When I got home I took a piece of paper out from my printer.

Sidney,
Every picture in this book is part of our story. I love every single memory you’ve given me, whether it was captured on film or not. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you.
Alice


I set the paper aside and put every single picture I had printed into the album. When I was finally done, I had filled 250 of the 500 sleeves in the book. Is that weird that with all these pictures, only half of the book is full? I then turned the the pile of doubles I had printed and leaved through them before taking the picture of us on that snowy December day right before his injury and put it in the frame. I wrapped both items carefully before tucking the remaining pictures into a shoebox and hiding all of the objects in my bedroom. I checked the clock. 12:49. I bit my lip and then decided to start making Sidney's usual pre-game meal of chicken and pasta. Oh, I hope he doesn't get mad...he usually makes it himself. By the time I was finished cooking it was already 2. Another hour to go, and I was feeling restless. It was the first Valentines Day in a long time that I had felt nervous, so I fiddled with the ring on my finger to reassure me. I glanced at my outfit and immediately ran into my bedroom. I leafed through my closet quickly before deciding on a pair of skinny jeans, a cute, long sleeved black and gold Penguins shirt, and my black knit Uggs. I artfully curled my hair so that it looked natural, and as I was applying my last touches of gray eyeshadow the door opened.

"Alice?" I heard Sidney asked. I ran out and hugged him tightly.

"Hey! Happy Valentines Day!" I chirped before kissing him lightly. He grinned and kissed me back before picking up a small red bag from the hallway.

"Did you like the roses?" He asked.

"Yeah! Where did you hide them?!" I asked.

"In Marc's closet...I figured you wouldn't be going in there." He laughed before scooping me up over his shoulder and tossing me onto the couch.

"Sid!" I laughed.

"Why does it smell so good in here?" He asked.

"I made dinner." I smiled.

"Chicken and pasta from the smell of it...my pre-game meal..." He said quietly. I swallowed nervously, but my nerves were calmed as he broke into a wide grin.

"So...wanna open your gift?" I asked.

"No. You open yours first." He demanded, dropping the bag into my lap. I found a gift card to Barnes and Noble, hell yeah!, a box of chocolates, and a long, black, velvet box.

"More jewelry? Sidney Patrick Crosby, you spoil me!" I sighed.

"Just open it!" He ordered. I stuck my tongue out and opened the box. Inside was a bracelet with a gorgeous silver heart. A red maple leaf made of what looked like rubies adorned one side, while I love you was carved on the other. I smiled and put the bracelet on the same wrist as the Penguins bracelet, and Sidney grinned even more widely.

"You like it?" He asked.

"Yeah! Its cute. Now I'll never forget that my heart belongs to Canada." I smiled.

"You mean a Canadian. I won't share you!" Sidney said before kissing my forehead.

"Fine then. Be greedy!" I teased before standing up and running to my room. Sidney waited on the couch and tore open the gifts quickly. He smiled when he opened the picture frame.

"I love this picture." He said, holding it up.

"Me too." I smiled. He opened the photo album next, and when he read the note his face flushed. Slowly he thumbed through each page of the album, and when he got to the end he looked up at me again.

"It's only half full..." He said.

"I know." I shrugged.

"Well, we're just going to have to fill it, aren't we?" He smiled, pulling out his camera. I stuck my tongue out at him and he took the picture, laughing.

"I love you Sidney." I said, kissing him on the cheek. He smiled with his mouth open wide, as cheesy as cheesy could get, and took another picture.

"I love you too Alice." He smiled before kissing me back.