Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Forty Three

Sid went from as high as a kite to lower than the bottom of the ocean. When he woke up he was in intense pain.

"Why does this suck so bad?" he groaned, throwing his head back. He refused to get up, but I didn't mind that.

"You got shot, do you expect rainbows and sunshine?" I asked. He glared at me.

"Thanks for the support Alice," he said sarcastically.

"What the hell do you want me to say? You're lucky you aren't dead!" I said angrily.

"You could be a little more understanding though!" he growled.

"Understanding?! You set yourself up for this!" I said, folding my arms across my chest.

"That's total bullshit," he said.

"Alright, fine. Next time you have a death threat on you, you'll have learned your lesson," I sighed before walking out of the room. I flopped into a chair at the kitchen table and pulled out my phone.

"Hey Alice. What's up?" Annabeth asked.

"Nothing really. How are you and Maxie doing?" I asked her. I was desperate for a distraction.

"We're doing okay. You and Sid are too, huh?" she asked. I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Yeah, I guess. We just had an argument though," I sighed.

"Oh yeah? Is he being a dumbass? He tends to do that, especially when he's in pain. Max told me about what happened last night," Annabeth said.

"Yeah, pretty much. So, how's the pregnant life treating you?" I asked.

"I'm fat as hell," she laughed.

"Why do I doubt that?" I smiled.

"You haven't seen me in way too long, that's why," she said.

"You're so busy with college though!" I said.

"I know. Thank God my year will be done by the time I have the baby." Annabeth sighed.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I asked.
"We're not telling anyone," she said.

"Not fair! Are you having a babyshower?" I asked.

"No, I don't really want one. My family pretty much disowned me, and I didn't have many friends before I came here, so yeah," Annabeth said.

I chatted with Annabeth for over an hour, and by the time I hung up the phone Sidney had emerged from the bedroom.

"I'm sorry," he said stiffly.

"You don't sound it," I said. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"Did they prescribe me anything? I hurt like all hell," he grumbled. I nodded, grabbed the orange prescription bottle I had been given for Sidney off of the counter, got a glass of water, and handed Sidney two pills. He threw them into the back of his throat and grabbed the water from my hand. After guzzling the glass, he turned to me.

"Thanks," he said.

"No problem," I said.

"Look...I'm sorry. I really am," Sidney sighed after a few minutes of awkward silence. This time he sounded genuinely sorry.

"It's okay. You just...I was scared. I was really, really, scared," I said. He pulled me into a one armed hug, and I rested my head on his chest.

"I was thinking...we should start planning the wedding," he said. His voice rumbled in his chest and I smiled.

"You were?" I asked.

"Yeah. Besides, what else am I gonna do? I'm hurt again," he laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"I bet the Pens are really hurting without you," I smiled.

"Nah, they've got it covered. We need to get the ball rolling though, or we won't be getting married for another few years," Sidney said.

"Okay...well then we should probably start with the guest list...oh, and where we want to get married," I said.

"Guest list shouldn't be too hard. The team, my family, your family, and various other friends," he said quickly.

"Well we kind of need names. You need to have a definite number of people invited when you book a venue," I said. Sidney groaned.

"This is going to be a lot of work, isn't it?" he asked.

"Who said this kind of thing was easy?" I asked. He kissed my forehead, and then winced.

"My life is never easy, is it?" he asked.

"Nope." I smiled.