Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Forty Four

I never thought I'd be so bored in my entire life. The house was so empty without Alice in it, and I hated the fact that she was busy covering the Penguins while I was stuck at home. Granted, I did get a few things done that I should have gotten done anway, like my half of the guest list, but I was restless. I turned on the NHL Network, which didn't help, and I had to resist the urge to throw the remote through the TV screen. I tried to play xbox, which was a lot harder with a gunshot wound than I anticipated, so I gave up on that quickly too. There was absolutely nothing to do, and by the time Alice walked in the door I practically jumped on top of her.
"Hey...you look happy to see me." She chuckled, brushing a strand of bright red hair from her face. God damn, she's the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen.
"Why wouldn't I be happy to see you?" I asked, before kissing her. She let out a squeak of surprise, but melted into my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck, carefully avoiding my shoulder, and I grinned against her lips. Our tongues collided and my heart raced. We slowly made our way upstairs, hardly breaking apart to breathe.
"Sid this is definitely not fair." She muttered.
"What's not fair?" I asked before kissing her again. I couldn't help but feel victorious as her knees went weak.
"You are teasing me." She groaned.
"Teasing you?" I asked, surprise making my eyebrows shoot up.
"You know how much I want you right now?" She whispered. I felt my mouth grow dry. She is really going to make me fight this, isn't she?
"Alice...we talked about this. Why do I feel like we're going to do something we said we wouldn't?" I croaked. She grinned sexily and shoved me gently onto the bed. I sat on the edge and she perched on my lap. I put my hands on her hips and absolutely drowned in her kisses. She was delicious, really.
"Sidney, I swear to God when we get married I am going to wreck you." She growled. I groaned inwardly.
"Now who's the tease?" I asked. She chuckled and kissed me again.
"Did you get that wedding list done?" She asked.
"Yeah. Let's stop talking now." I said before kissing her roughly.

For the next two weeks that was the story of my life. My shoulder was healing quickly. The bullet had missed bone, and major veins, so I was healed up in no time. Sore, but cleared to play, I returned to the Penguins on March 5th, and by March 8th I was cleared for contact. Everyone on the team was thrilled, especially with Marc still out. Alice had gone back to their apartment two days after my incident because Marc had been released, and she was babying the hell out of him.
"Sidney, I'm gonna get fat if she keeps it up!" Marc said as I walked into their apartment. Sure enough, Alice had been making him dinner every night, and I laughed.
"The day you get fat is the day I become best friends with Ovechkin." I smirked. Alice kissed me on the cheek, and I returned the kiss with a hug and kiss of my own.
"So, how's the whole walking thing going for you?" I asked Marc.
"Eh, a little rough. Very sore, you know? I have a bad limp, but that's probably because of the brace." Marc shrugged, tapping the black metal brace that kept his shattered knee from bending too far. Most of his injuries from the accident had been cuts and bruises, but he had also been delivered a harsh concussion, several broken ribs, a shattered left knee, and a broken nose. His ribs were healing up nicely, and his knee was getting better every day. His nose didn't even look broken, but he still fretted over it.
"Good to know it's getting there though." I smiled.
"Yeah. So, you guys look like you'll be heading to the playoffs without me." Marc sighed.
"Hey, just heal up alright? Don't worry about the playoffs quite yet. We've still got a lot more games to go, and we're fighting for the first seed." I said, flashing Alice a grin. Her Devils were in first seed, 10 points ahead of us. They were exploding, which wasn't surprising, considering the rebound they had in the second half of last season.
"Keep trying Sid, you're not going to butter me up enough to root for you though." Alice chuckled.

Before we knew it, it was April. My stress level was through the roof, and Alice seemed to be picking up on it.
"Sid, what do you want to eat?" She asked.
"I don't fucking know!" I growled, watching and rewatching films from last night's game.
"Hey, don't talk to me like that. I'm trying to help you out here." Alice said. I paused the film and turned to her, not getting up from my seat.
"Look, I'm going to be like this until the playoffs are over...and trust me, if we lose, I'm going to get a lot worse." I said.
"I understand that, but you still have no right to treat me like that." Alice said.
"I thought you knew what you were getting into with this relationship." I said.
"Sid, I know that hockey is your life, but I'm your fiancee. You don't have to talk to me like that, no matter how stressed you are." She said. Her face was flushed, and I could feel my own irritation growing.
"Well if you can't handle me when I'm stressed, you should probably leave!" I cried. She bit her lip and glared at me.
"Fine. When you're done being Princess Douche, and you're ready to talk to me like a civilized human being, then you can call me. Until then, fuck you." Alice growled, grabbing her purse and storming out of the house.
"Fuck!" I cried, throwing the empty glass that had been sitting on the coffee table against the wall. It shattered and I grimaced, knowing full well how pissed Alice was going to be at me for the next few days. A few hours later I got a phone call from Marc.
"Sid what the hell?" He asked as soon as I picked up.
"What do you mean, what the hell?" I asked.
"Why did you talk to Alice like that? She is trying to help you, and you pull some diva bullshit? She's been crying for over an hour. She's afraid that if she does the wrong thing around you now, you'll break up with her." Marc explained. I groaned.
"Shit...no...Marc...you know how I get around playoffs. I'm the captain, I'm 'Sid the Kid'...everyone is counting on me. It's a lot of pressure, and I get snappy. I'm not going to break up with her." I sighed.
"I know that, but she doesn't. And you say everyone is counting on you...well that includes her Sid. She loves you, and she's trying to be supportive, but if you're going to curse her out when she asks you what you want for dinner, that's going to make her uncomfortable." Marc said. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed again.
"I know. Look...I'll give her some time to recover, and I'll call her in the morning to apologize. Until then, just tell her that I'm sorry and that I love her, okay?" I asked.
"Okay." Marc said before hanging up. I'm a dumbass.