Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Forty Eight

My worst nightmare was becoming a reality. The Penguins defeated the Capitals 4 games to 2, and the Devils had defeated the Rangers 4 games to 1.

Sidney was going to be playing the Devils…not only was he going to be playing the Devils, but he was going to be playing the Devils for the position of Eastern Conference Champions. I sat on the couch in my apartment and gnawed on my bottom lip as I watched ESPN’s team matchup. The odds were pretty much dead even, and I had no clue what was going to happen. Everyone at work was hounding me over the whole ordeal, and even Sidney was ribbing me about it. Marc came walking out of his bedroom, and sighed heavily as he looked at me.

“Alice, mon cherie, why are you worrying so much about this whole thing?” he asked, dropping down on the couch beside me. I simply groaned and turned the TV off. Marc pulled me into a hug, and I could hear him chuckle quietly.

“What?” I asked.

“You know we’re going to win anyway, so quit worrying about it.” Marc smirked, and I slapped his chest playfully.

“You’re a jerk, you know that?” I asked, and Marc simply laughed again. Just then there was a knock at the door, and I jumped up to answer it. Sidney was standing there in a gray tee, black shorts, his usual sneakers, and his eye was still bruised shut.

“Sid!” I squealed happily, and Marc rolled his eyes.

“You didn’t know he was coming?” Marc asked. I shook my head and dragged Sidney into the apartment. Marc stood up and grabbed his keys off of the coffee table.

“I’m going to Staalsy’s for a bit, see you two kids later.” he grumbled before quickly leaving the apartment. I raised my eyebrows, but then I saw the look on Sid’s face. I knew that dark, brooding look, and I groaned inwardly. He was freaking out again. I took his hands in mine and pulled him onto the couch, but he just stared at me with one eye and I sighed.

“Sid…why are you still nervous? You’ve done so well during the playoffs, why do you feel like you’re going to fail now?” I asked quietly, and Sidney took his hands from mine. I dropped my hands onto my lap and felt confusion blossom in my chest.

“I’m nervous because now you’re going to root for them.” he said, spitting out the last word with a bitter look on his face. I stared at him, dumbfounded, for a few seconds, and then raised my eyebrows.

“What do you mean? You even said that if I switched colors you’d be…” I started, but Sidney cut me off.

“Okay with it? Honestly, I’m not okay with it. None of the other guys have to worry about their girlfriends or wives cheering for the other team. Especially not for something this big. If we lose this round, we go home. If we win, we get to play for the Stanley Cup. Alice, I can’t deal with you rooting for the Devils. I…I thought I could, but I just can’t. It honestly hurts.” Sidney explained.

“Sid…how…why?” I asked.

“Because I feel like you don’t love me enough to root for my team. I know the Devils have been there your whole life, but we’re supposed to get married. I know it sounds stupid, but I just can’t do it Alice. I just came here to tell you that. If you wear your Devils jersey on Saturday, I’ll know that you’ve made up your mind and that we’re done…” Sidney said before standing up. Tears welled up in my eyes.

“Wait a minute Sidney Crosby! You’re going to dump me? Over hockey?” I asked, sadness and anger welling up in my voice as tears began to spill from my eyes. Sidney hung his head.

“No, but I will dump you if you can’t choose me over anything else.” Sidney said coldly, and I felt my heart drop into my stomach.

“You are such a jerk! I have been choosing you Sidney! I’ve chosen you all along!” I screamed, and he just turned and left the apartment. I collapsed onto the floor and began to sob. For once, the ring on my finger made me want to die instead of smile. What is going on with our relationship?