Sequel: Picking Up the Pieces

Bringing the Devil Out of Me

Six

"That was a great interview," Marc said that night. I grinned and flipped the pancake I was making.

"You think so?" I asked him, tossing the cake onto a plate and sliding it across the counter to him.

"Definitely. The guys got a kick out of you, which is good because I'm planning on having the same group over tomorrow night. You down for some partying?" Marc asked before taking an enormous bite of pancake.

"Sure. Dude, go easy on that thing or you're going to choke yourself," I laughed, pouring more batter onto the pan. The pancakes sizzled and I took a bite of one I had put on the side for myself.

"I'm not going to choke, I'm a man!" Marc said, although it was muffled by the food in his mouth.

"Yeah, yeah. Just remember that when you do choke," I said, shaking my head.

"So what do you think about Sid?" Marc asked after a few moments of silence.

"Sid? He seems like a cool guy, but I get the feeling that he's never completely comfortable unless he's on the ice," I said after thinking about it for a minute.

"Yeah, you've got that one right," Marc said before wolfing down his next pancake.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The next night I walked into the apartment and was immediately taken back by the noise level. I raised my eyebrows as I saw Sidney, Marc, Evgeni and Kris all sitting around the TV screaming...and then I saw the xbox controllers in their hands.

"Flower you are such a noob!" Sidney cried, tapping furiously on the right trigger. Marc let out a victorious chuckle as Sidney growled in defeat. I tossed my bag onto the love seat to the left of the door and leaned against the back of the couch, which the boys had moved so that it was about two feet away from the TV.

"Call of Duty huh?" I asked, looming over the shoulders of both Kris and Marc.

"Yeah, what do you know about it girly?" Kris asked, engulfed in the game.

"I know that I could whoop your ass any day," I smirked. Kris immediately paused the game, much to the dismay of his teammates.

"I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" he asked. I gave him a slightly evil grin and leaned closer to him.

"I said I could whoop your ass any day," I repeated slowly. He glared at me.

"Bring it." he growled.

"Loser gives up controller?" I asked, glancing at the other three.

"That's fair enough," Sidney said.

"I'm telling you, she can game dude," Marc said. He didn't believe me at first either, but once I showed him how things were done in Call of Duty, Halo: Reach, NHL '11 and Guitar Hero, he surrendered to the fact that I was indeed a girl who could play video games.

"We'll see," Matt said as Kris unpaused the game.

"Dammit!" Matt sighed, handing me the controller. Kris grinned as I hopped over the back of the couch and took Matt's seat. I had changed while they were playing and now donned my favorite pair of Victoria's Secret yoga pants, black of course, a black V-neck tee, and a zip up hoodie that was red and said Canada on the front of it.

"You a Canadian?" Kris asked as I relaxed.

"Nope," I said shortly, quickly editing the profile to contain the guns I was most familiar with.

"Then what's with the hoodie?" he asked. I shrugged.

"I went to Canada...I actually like it up there more than I like it here," I admitted. Marc, Kris, Matt, and Sidney all looked at me with a strange love in their eyes.

"You like Canada more than the US?" Matt asked incredulously. I nodded, and then slid my finger beneath the sweatshirt to tug up a small silver necklace as well.

"That's a maple leaf!" Sidney cried, leaning over Marc to examine the tiny glittering charm closely.

"Yes it is. I might be American by blood, but Canada stole my heart," I chuckled. Kris started the game and all was forgotten as we began to shoot at each other rapidly. A few minutes and a lot more kills later I let out a victorious cheer.

"Kris you got owned by a girl," Sidney laughed.

"Hey, I'm a very good girl when it comes to COD," I said defensively. Kris just shook his head sadly as I leaped up and handed the controller to Matt.

"But you didn't lose..." he said, raising his eyebrows.

"I'm thirsty," I said, walking over to the kitchen. I tugged open the cabinet and let out an agitated growl. Marc, now friendly enough with me to play pranks, had taken all of the glasses and moved them to the higher shelves of the cabinet.

"Fleury, corriges ces tasses maintenant!(Fleury, come fix these cups now!)" I shouted, folding my arms across my chest.

"Tu parles francais?!(You speak French?!)" Marc cried from the living room.

"Oui, maintenant obtenir ici!(Yes, now get in here!)" I called back. He trudged into the kitchen with Sidney hot on his heels, and Sidney let out the most hilarious laugh I had ever heard when he saw what Marc had done.

"Dude, that's great!" he laughed, looking up at the glasses and then at me.

"Watch it Crosby, or I'll deliver the beat down of the century," I growled, knowing that all of the guys in my apartment were jokesters. Sidney laughed again and eyed me up.

"Like a small fry like you could take me," he smirked. I glared and ran at him, toppling him over easily.I perched on his stomach and stared down at him, smirking.

"Hey! No fair, I wasn't ready!" he cried as Matt and Kris started cracking up. I raised my eyebrows.

"I warned you, didn't I?" I asked. He suddenly grabbed me around my waist and tossed me effortlessly off of him. I stared up at him, slightly shocked, as he loomed over me. His eyes seemed to burn into mine and I licked my lips nervously. My heart was racing, and I didn't know why.

"Like I said, a small fry like you couldn't take me," he grinned before standing up and walking back over to the couch.