Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

Going Away

I sat there in disbelief as I got off the phone with Ellen Dunkel, the entertainment editor of the Philadelphia Inquirer. She wanted to bring me on as a music writer. I had gotten the job. I couldn't believe it. I sat there shaking my head in disbelief and smiling. This was the end result of everything I had worked so hard for.

I knew who I had to call next.

I listened to the phone ringing as my impatience grew.

“Pick up the phone!” I screamed in my head.

“Hey. What's up?” answered the man's voice on the other end who had clearly recognized my name on the caller ID.

“Are you mentally prepared for what I'm about to tell you?” I squealed in a manner that made me feel ridiculous.

“Uh, I think so...” he began cautiously.

“I got a job at a newspaper!” I yelled excitedly.
“Are you serious? That's amazing. Where?”
“Well, that's the part you need to mentally prepare yourself for because this is pretty major news.”
“Okay. I think I'm ready.”
“It's with the Philadelphia Inquirer!”
“What?! You're moving to Philly?” he asked.
“Yes!”
“You never mentioned anything about this job before.”
“Well I didn't want to make a big deal of it when there was no guarantee.”
“Ah, makes sense. This is so great though! So, when are you moving?”
“Next week.”
“Next week? That's pretty quick. Did you find an apartment already?”
“No. I'll just stay at a hotel until I do though. Shouldn't take too long,” I said knowing what his response would be.
“No, you're going to stay with me.”
“Kris, I can't-” I unconvincingly argued.
“Lex, you're my best friend. You really think I'm going to let you stay at a hotel?”
I sighed. “Fine. But I'm going to start looking for an apartment immediately.”
“You can stay as long as you want.”

I thanked him once more and then we said our goodbyes. I stared at the ceiling smiling at how amazing life had just become in a matter of 10 minutes.

“Oh, someone's got that 'I-Just-Talked-To-Kris-Versteeg' smile,” joked my roommate, Sophia.

I laughed. “I got the job, Soph! And he wants me to stay with him...” I said not facing her when I mumbled the last part.

“You got it?! Wait, he asked you to move in?” she asked clearly becoming more preoccupied with the second statement.

“Not move in, necessarily. I mean he said I could stay as long as I wanted but I'm going to find a place of my own.” I assured her.

“No, you're not. Don't even kid yourself. This is the whole reason you applied for a job there. So you could be closer to him. You'll try for like a week and then once you become accustomed to waking up everyday and seeing him making coffee or something you'll conveniently stop looking for apartments,” Sophia eyed me knowingly. She was good. “Jesus, Lexi! Why don't you just tell the man you're in love with him?”

Me? Alexandria King in love with Kris Versteeg? It was an accurate statement but absurd at the same time. For the past 14 years, my small middle school crush had blossomed into a full fledged secret love affair that played out only in my mind. The boy who used to tease me became the man who was my best friend. The thought of losing his friendship was a devastating one. That's why I kept my feelings a secret, no matter how much pain it caused me. I'd rather be his best friend than nothing at all.

“How many times have we been over this? What would it matter? Obviously at this point if he liked me he would've said something by now. He doesn't and all that me confessing to him would do is complicate things. I don't want to do that. I care about him too much just as a friend to lose him.”

“You're killing me, King. But more so, you're killing yourself. Harboring a secret love for one guy for nearly 15 years?! That's just insanity.”

“Look,” I said grabbing her shoulders and staring her hard in the eye, “It'll be fine. I'll be fine. Everything will be fine.”

“Well I'm always here for you. You know...if you want to come home which I'm sure you won't. I'm just saying, paying rent for this place by myself is going to suck.” she said pretending to be hurt.

I laughed and hugged her.

“Let's start packing then!” Sophia exclaimed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Started writing this the day before he got traded. Definitely not altering the story line to fit the Panthers situation. In my literary, fictional world a Flyer he shall stay. :)
-C