Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

In a Lose, Lose Situation

I was awoken the next morning by the pungent aroma of coffee. I laid by myself on the couch, unmoving, and reflecting on the previous night's events. The rollercoaster of emotions I was riding had now brought me to the regret stage.

I regretted getting my hopes up. I regretted snapping at Kris and admitting to him everything that I had. I regretted saying I didn't want to be friends with him anymore. And most of all, I regretted going to Eric's. That had only complicated things more. I went there expecting a no strings attached hook up, and what I got instead were newly developed feelings. I wasn't ready for how dramatically different my life had become in such a short period of time.

My clutch began to vibrate across Beckner's coffee table. I already knew who was trying to contact me. As angry as I still was, I couldn't resist the urge to know what he had to say.

I lifted my head slightly and peered around to see if Eric was in the kitchen.

“Coast appears to be clear.”

I grabbed my small purse and pulled my phone out of it.

“11 text messages...8 missed calls...and 4 voice mails.”

I flipped through the text messages first.

“We really need to talk. Please call me back.”

“I'm sorry, Lex. Talk to me.”

“Are you coming home?”


I switched over to the voice mails which were just verbal repeats of the texts.

“It's me...again. Please don't leave things like this. You know, at least call me to let me know you're okay,” he sighed. “Alright. Bye.”

“It's almost 3 am and you're still not home. You're probably staying at one of your friends' houses...Sara or someone's...but I'd feel a lot better if you'd call me and let me know. Bye.”


I heard the concern in his voice. For a split second I felt remorseful for making him worry.

“No, screw it. Now he can hurt like I do.”

I sat up, laid my phone back down on the table, and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I looked around for any signs of Eric. The double doors to his bedroom were shut so I assumed he was in there.

I stood up and walked towards the kitchen. I hadn't eaten since the brunch I had the day before and my stomach was making me fully aware of that fact. Everything in his refrigerator was healthy which meant it didn't appear appetizing to me. I got the same results when I looked through his pantry.

“Not even a Pop Tart...”

I'd have to settle for a glass of water. I began rummaging through his cupboards for a cup when I heard Eric's voice behind me.

“Going through my stuff, King?”

I turned and saw him standing there shirtless in a pair of sweatpants drying his hair with a towel, water droplets running down his chest.

“Oh my god...” I thought as I cleared my throat in an attempt to my clear my head of the impure thoughts that had suddenly arisen.

“I'm sorry? Oh...no. I was just trying to find a glass so I could get some water.” I said as he walked over to me. He opened the door to the dishwasher and pulled one out.

“Ah, thanks.” I walked over to the fridge and filled the cup with ice and switched the setting to water.

“So, how do you feel?” he asked me as I took my first sip. I nodded my head to show that I felt fine.

“A lot better,” I lied. “Thanks for letting me sleep here last night.” He walked over and put his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

“Anytime.” he said before kissing me. “You want to grab breakfast somewhere?”

“I actually have to get home. I didn't let my roommate know where I was going last night, so she's probably really worried. Plus, I need to change out of this dress.” I chuckled.

“Alright, then,” he said his eyes darting from my eyes to my lips. “I was actually going to ask you to leave anyway.”

“What?” I asked confused by his statement. “Why?”

“Because I'd probably fall more in love with you if you stayed.”

My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest. An uncontrollable grin spread on my face and I kissed him again.

“I have to get going. I'll call you later.”

“Do you want me to give you a ride home?” he asked.

“No, it's okay. I'll be fine.”

I couldn't let him give me a ride home because home wasn't where I was headed.

-x-

I rang the doorbell to Sara's apartment multiple times.

“Fucking sons of bitches...” I could hear her cursing as she walked to the door.

“What the fuck, Alexandria?” a sleepy looking Sara asked looking at me angrily when she opened the door. “This was my one morning to sleep in. Why are you in your dress?”

“Can I come in?” We walked in and sat at Sara's dinner table.

“Okay, lay it on me.” Sara said knowing I had a hell of a story to tell.

-x-

Fifteen minutes later I finished recounting the previous night's and current morning's events.

“So now I don't know what to do because Eric's hopelessly adorable and Kris is an asshole. My views on them individually just switched all of a sudden.” I said looking to her for some kind of guidance.

After pondering for a moment she finally spoke. “You are a dumbass.”

“Thank you...? Really helpful.”

“Come on Lex. What do you want me to say? I'm an entertainment writer, not an advice columnist. Now it's up to you. Do you pick the guy that you've been in a one sided love affair with for years and who just broke your heart? Or do you pick the guy who's tried to be sweet to you regardless of the fact that you've been pushing him away?”

“Well when you put it like that...” I said waving her off.

“If worse comes to worst, you can always stay with me.” she offered putting her hand on top of mine.

“I think that's for the best. I can't stay there with him now after everything.”

“Do you want to head over there now or is it too soon for you to see him?” she asked.

“No, he has a doctor's appointment this morning so he shouldn't even be there. And afterwards he'll probably be hanging out with Cassidy.” I said the sarcasm and distaste dripping with every word. “Bitch.”

“Calm yourself tiger.” Sara told me smiling. “Let's go get your stuff.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Definitely going to be a sequel. There just has to be because there's no simple resolution that makes sense to me. I hope you guys read it...
Next chapter is going to be the last one for this story.
-C