Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

The Impression That I Get

I sighed heavily as we made our way deeper into downtown Philadelphia. This is not how I had wanted to spend my first night with Kris.

“Don't worry, we're almost there,” he assured me.

“I figured. That's why I sighed,” I admitted.

“They're not bad guys once you get to know them, Lex. I know it goes against all your morals to like anything having to do with the Flyers, but you like me, right?” he asked with a smile.

“Understatement of the century...” I thought.

“Sometimes,” I said with a shrug and a laugh.

“Okay then. You'll learn to like them, I'm sure, even if it's not instantaneous. Just keep an open mind please,” he requested.

“Alright. For you I will,” I told him.

“For you, I'd do a lot of things,” I said to myself letting my gaze linger on him a little longer before turning to stare out the window.

We pulled up in front of a restaurant called Three Rivers. Just like before someone came rushing over to take his keys off his hands.

“What is with this city? Doesn't anyone park their own cars?”

We approached the door where the host ushered us in.

“Your party's in the back. Right this way.” he said cheerily.

We walked down the aisle of relatively the quiet and laid back restaurant. Any audible noise came in the form of the soft jazz music playing on the sound system. A few surprised looks were visible on the faces of people as we walked by, but not a word was uttered by them. Our host led us to a backroom area and slid a wooden door open revealing a posh private dining area.

“Versteeg! Finally, bro!” said a player I recognized as Danny Briere.

“Hey guys,” Kris replied, “I want to introduce you to someone. This is my best friend, Alexandria. Lex, this is Danny Briere, Chris Pronger, Claude Giroux, and James Van Riemsdyk.”

We all cordially nodded at each other with slight smiles.

“Alright they don't seem so bad, I guess.”

Kris and I took our seats at the table.

“So, we hear you just arrived,” Claude said.

“Yeah, just got off the plane a couple of hours ago actually,” I answered.

“Sweet. What do you think so far?” Briere asked.

“So far so good. I've only been here and Kris' place but it's all been amazing.” I said trying to muster a smile.

“So, how long are you staying?” asked Claude.

“I'm actually living here now. I got a job at the Philadelphia Inquirer, so this is my new home.” I told them.

They nodded their heads in acknowledgment.

“So where's your place?” Pronger questioned.

“I'm staying with Kris until I can find my own place,” I explained.

Their eyebrows all raised in unison with intrigue.

“But I told her she could stay as long as she wants,” Kris said playfully elbowing me.

“And you guys are best friends, you said?” Chris asked clearly puzzled by the idea of Kris and I co-existing under one roof.

“Yeah, Lex and I go back years,” answered Versteeg.

“Just...friends?” Pronger asked again with a skeptical look on his face.

“Yeah,” Versteeg replied with a challenging look on his face, “What are you trying to get at?”

“Nothing, nothing. Just wondering. So do you have a boyfriend, Alexandria?” Chris Pronger pried further.

“No,” I answered simply.

“Jesus, what's with the interrogation?”

“So you're just two long term friends living under the same roof now. Sounds like a good time,” Pronger laughed with a wink.

“Sorry about him. He's had a little bit to drink,” Briere said with an apologetic look on his face.

“Yeah, he's not usually such an ass.” Versteeg said giving Pronger a stern look.

“That's definitely not what I've heard.”

“So Alexandria, are you a hockey fan?” asked Van Riemsdyk.

“Am I?! Yes, definitely!” I said with a slight laugh.

“You a big Flyers fan?” James inquired further.

“Uhh...” I started.

“I'd rather answer uncomfortable questions about my personal life again.”

“Well, uhh, no. I'm not going to lie.” I said honestly.

“Lex likes the Blackhawks and a certain other team we won't mention.” Kris said trying to lighten the mood.

“You like the Penguins?!” Pronger practically yelled, disgust oozing out of every word.

“Yeah,” I replied not backing down.

“But now you live in Philadelphia,” he laughed, “Good luck being a Penguins fan.” Chris said condescendingly.

“Chris, come on man,” Kris said sticking up for me.

“It's fine, Alexandria. We're not going to judge you.” Briere said with an apologetic look on his face, “He's really not this bad usually, I swear.” Danny whispered to me.

“I think it's about time we get going actually,” James said clearly trying to break the tension.

“Yeah, we've got a morning skate so we've got to get to bed early,” Claude agreed, “It was nice meeting you though,” he said to me as they began to stand up and throw twenty and fifty dollar bills on the table.

“You too,” I said as Kris and I remained seated.

Danny Briere had to fight with a belligerent Chris Pronger but eventually the room emptied out.

“Well that was awkward,” I said with a little laugh.

“Sorry about that, Lex,” Kris replied not looking at me.

“It's fine. If it counts for anything, I thought the other three were pretty cool...you know...for Flyers players,” I joked giving him a playful punch.

Versteeg laughed. “How about we go get a normal dinner like we originally planned?”

“Nothing has ever sounded better.”
♠ ♠ ♠
As someone who's not a Flyers fan, it was pretty hard writing dialogue for people who's personalities I'm unfamiliar with. This is my best attempt at it. haha. I'll be sure to brush up on my Youtube videos before the next chapter they appear in.

Also saw I got more readers and a new subscriber! Made my day! Thanks guys! :)
-C