Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

Coming Clean

“God, I'm so glad we're done. That piece was exhausting.” Sara said as she took a bite of her burger. We sat in the corner booth of the same restaurant we had dined at the day before. Brumsey's, as it was called, was steadily becoming “our place”.

“I know. I can't wait to relax tonight.” I said to her.

My version of relaxing would be watching Kris play a home game against the Montreal Canadiens. She didn't need to know that though.

“You don't have any assignments?” Sara asked me.

“No, I finished my album reviews for the next three days while you typed up the article, so my schedule's free for the immediate future.” I grinned widely.

“Lucky you. What are you planning on doing?” Sara asked casually.

“Watching the love of my life body check some guys, maybe get into a fight or two, and above all, hopefully score some goals in a professional hockey game. You know...the usual.”

My inner thoughts got the best of me and I grinned uncontrollably. All attempts at suppressing it only made it worse and made my cheeks burn bright red.

I shook my head in an attempt to stall. No excuse came to me. “Uh, you know...nothing really. Just hanging out...” I sighed “...with my roommate.”

“Really? Just hanging out with your roommate. Kristina, right? The competitive figure skater.” Sara raised her eyebrow at me. “I could be wrong, though the look on your face tells me I'm not, but I think you're lying, Lex. But why you would do such a thing and what you're hiding is what I want to know.”

I looked down at the table pensively.

“Should I? Can I?”

“Okay, I don't really have a roommate named Kristina who's a competitive figure skater.” I admitted.

“You don't say!” Sara exclaimed in mock surprise.

“I know,” I said laughing at my own foolish lie. “I have a roommate named Kris who's very much so a male.”

“Is he your boyfriend?”
“No.”
“Friend with benefits?”
“No.”
“...is he gay?”
“No!”
“I don't understand this at all then.” she said throwing her hands up in the air.

I sighed. “It's kind of complicated. He and I have been friends since we were kids. I've been somewhat hopelessly in love with him for... a while now,” I said carefully not wanting to say the words “over a decade”. “But I'm pretty sure he's completely oblivious to that. Anyway, I kind of sought out this job in particular so I could be closer to him. I expected to get a place on my own but when I told him I actually got the position he told me I could stay with him. And for as long as I wanted, too. So, that's what I'm currently doing. And that's the truth.”

“Why didn't you just say that to begin with?” she asked simply.

“Well it sounds completely ridiculous for starters-” I began.

“Not really. Sounds pretty normal. I mean, yeah, it's a little unconventional. But it's understandable at the same time. You should've just told me. It's not like I would've judged you or anything.” she told me.

“Well, it's a little bit, slightly more complicated...” I started, feeling like now was as good a time as any to be honest with my new friend. “He's a...uh...well you see, he's a-”

“He's a...drag queen? A pirate? A wizard? Just spit it out already.” Sara said exasperatedly.

“...he's a hockey player.” I said practically holding my breath.

“Really? Nice.” she said winking at me. “Is he on a team?”

I nodded my head.

“What is this? 20 Questions? Which team?” she asked going for a drink of her water.

I sighed. “The Flyers.”

She laughed in between chokes. “And I thought the competitive figure skater story was good. Your best friend and roommate is a player for the Philadelphia Flyers. Wow, you're really good, Lexi. I'll give you that much.” she said pointing at me with a smile.

I pulled out my iPhone and handed it to her.

“Go to my photos.” I told her.
“Why?”
“Just do it, please.”

She pressed her finger to the screen twice and her eyes began to grow wide with surprise.

“Shut the fuck up! Kris Versteeg? Are you serious?” she screamed in a whispered tone sliding her index finger across the screen looking at all the photos of us. I nodded with a casual shrug.

“What? This is insane. Seriously, why didn't you say anything before? Eric's interviewed him in the locker room a bunch of times. He'd think it was awesome that you two know each other.”

“There are just certain things I like to keep to myself and my relation-, friendship with Kris is one of those. This stays between us, okay?”

“Fair enough.” Sara agreed. “Wow, I still can't get over this though. That's crazy.” she said handing me back my phone.

“I know.” I said as a thought came to me. “Hey, what are you doing tonight?”

“Me? Well, I guess since the article's done. Nothing really.”

“You should come with me and watch him play tonight.”

“Really? That sounds amazing. Can I?” she asked.

I held up a finger and began writing a message to Kris on my phone.

“What was that?” asked Sara as I set my phone down on the table.

“I just asked Kris if he could get me another ticket to tonight's game.” I explained as I sipped my Coke.

A few moments later my phone beeped with a new message. I picked it up and looked at his response. “He said yes. It'll be at guest services. And...oh never mind.” I said putting the phone back down with a sheepish smile on my face.

“What?” Sara asked me curiously.

“No, nothing.” I told her. She picked my phone up and began reading his message.

“'And if I don't see you before I leave, I love you kid. Sorry for upsetting you last night.' What's that mean?”

“Eric gave me a ride home yesterday and gave me his number and I guess Kris misinterpreted it as Eric likes me. Or I like Eric. Whatever. Basically he teased me about it and pissed me off. I don't want him to think I like someone else when I only like him, you know? And I don't like Eric like that.”

“Yeah, but Eric likes you.” Sara told me with a serious look on her face.

"Tell me something I don't know."

“What?” I said in a more convincing mock surprised tone than the one Sara had demonstrated earlier.

“Oh, come on. It was so obvious during lunch yesterday. He's a flirt in general, but I think he likes you.” Sara said picking at what was left of the fries on her plate. I grimaced slightly which she caught. “Well you never know. If things don't work out with Kris, Eric's not a bad back up plan.” she said matter-of-factly. I laughed heartily. “But for now, I think we better get you home so you CAN see him before he leaves.” she smiled.