Status: On Hold.

Well, Maybe a Little Bit

Chapter Two

The ride to Edoras was short but pleasant. I had missed Snowshadow and riding her again made my worries start to melt away. Soon we came to a large hill that was filled with houses and a large stone wall around it. We stopped to marvel at the city.
“Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld,” spoke Gandalf, “There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan whose mind is overthrown. Saruman’s hold over King Théoden is now very strong.” I frowned up at the Hall of Meduseld. I could feel the evil there, but I could also feel great sadness. “Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here.” Gandalf then nudged Shadowfax forward and we followed behind. We galloped through the gates, Gandalf leading with Legolas, and I close behind him and Aragorn in the back. As we passed through the town, no citizen made any noise, no children were out playing and everyone seemed to be dressed for a funeral.
“You’ll find more cheer in a graveyard,” grumbled Gimli.
We reached the Hall of Meduseld and dismounted our horses. The five of us then walked up the stairs and were met but the guards.
“I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue.” Spoke one of the Men.
Gandalf nodded to us to give up our weapons. I sighed. I handed the guard my bow and quiver of arrows. I pulled my sword off my belt. The man was about to turn away but I grabbed his shoulder. I reached into my boot and pulled out my dagger and then grabbed my other one that was still on my waist. I then let him go and smiled. He stared at me for a moment and then walked away.
“Your staff,” the man spoke to Gandalf.
“Oh, you would not part an old man from his walking stick,” Gandalf implied to the man.
The man said nothing more and let us through. Legolas held out his arm to make it look like Gandalf needed his support to walk. Aragorn and Gimli followed behind them and I came up behind Aragorn. The guard before us bowed and then stepped aside to let us in.
I watched as, whom I would presume was Grima, lean over to the sickly looking king. “My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming.” Behind us the doors closed loudly and some of the guards walked along the wall at the same pace as us as we walked towards the King. “He’s a herald of woe.”
“The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late,” spoke Gandalf as we all lined up beside him. Legolas and Gimli on one side and Aragorn and I on the other. “Théoden King.”
“He’s not welcome,” hissed Grima to the King.
“Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow,” the King asked very softly in a sickly voice.
“A just question, my liege,” said Grima. “Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Làthspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest.” Grima spoke charging at us.
“Be silent,” commanded Gandalf. “Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.” Gandalf then lifted his staff at him.
“His staff,” whispered Grima. “I told you to take the wizard’s staff,” he whined.
Men came running at Gandalf to take away his staff.
“Oh no you don’t,” I hissed punching one of them acrossed the face.
He glared up at me, “I do not wish to hit a woman.”
“Good. Then I shall use you as a target,” I said punching him again, knocking him out cold. I moved on protecting Gandalf with the others.
“Théoden,” Gandalf said as he continued to walk up to the King, “son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the Shadows. “
Gimli roared with delight as he took down another man. He then went and pressed his foot on Grima’s chest. “I would stay still if I were you.”
All the men that had tried to hurt us were now lying on the ground in pain. And we turned to watch Gandalf.
“Hearken to me!” The other guards came closer but did nothing to harm us. Gandalf lifted his hand, “I release you,” he whispered, “from this spell.”
The King began to laugh menacingly. “You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey.”
Gandalf whipped off the grey cloak he had been wearing over his white ones and the King cried in fear. “I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.” Gandalf moved his staff and the King jumped back.
A blonde haired woman tried to run to the King but Aragorn grabbed her by the arm. “Wait,” he whispered to her.
“If I go, Théoden dies,” the King growled.
Gandalf swung his staff at the King but did not hit him, “You did not kill me; you will not kill him.”
“Rohan is mine.”
Gandalf pushed his staff again. “Be gone.”
The King jumped at Gandalf. Gandalf swung his staff one last time and sent the King back into his chair. The King slumped down and the woman ran up to catch him. I watched as the Kings hair returned to a blond color and became much shorter and his eyes were not glazed over and in all, he didn’t look sick anymore.
“I know your face,” he whispered to the woman. “Eowyn. Eowyn.” The King looked up to Gandalf. “Gandalf?” he whispered.
“Breath the free air again, my friend.”
The king then stood, shakily, “Dark have been my dreams of late.”
He rubbed his hands together. “Your fingers would remember their old strength better,” spoke Gandalf, “if they grasped your sword.”
The guard that led us in here then handed the King his sword. Théoden grasped it and pulled it out of its sheath. He gazed at his sword, lovingly. And then turned to Grima and gave him a hard glare.
“Throw him out!” shouted Théoden.
Two guards grabbed Grima and dragged him outside. The King and most of those in the Hall followed outside as well. The guards then threw Grima down the steps and the King started to walk down the steps after him. Many of the citizens had come to see what was going on.
“I’ve only ever served you, my lord,” said Grima.
“Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!” growled the King.
“Send me not from your sight,” begged Grima.
Théoden lifted his sword to cut down Grima but Aragorn caught his arm. “No, my lord!” he shouted. “No, my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account.”
Grima got up and ran. “Get out of my way!” he screamed plowing through the crowd of citizens.
“Hail, Théoden King!” someone shouted and the citizens bowed to him. Aragorn bowed as well and I to bowed my head.
The King turned to his guards. “Where is Theodred? Where is my son?” he whispered.
The guards looked at each other uneasily. “He is dead, my lord.”