Status: On Hold.

Well, Maybe a Little Bit

Chapter Three

The next morning there was a funeral held for Theodred. Though many cried over the son of the King’s death, what surprised me most was that I did to. Maybe in a way I thought of it as a funeral for both Boromir and Theodred. Once the ceremony was over everyone started to leave.
“Ireth,” said Legolas. “Are you coming?”
I looked over to the King and Gandalf. Gandalf gave me a small look that said that I should stay a little longer. I looked back to Legolas. “I will be up in a moment.” He nodded and followed Aragorn and Gimli back to the gate of Edoras.
“Simbelmyne.” Sighed the King as he threw down one of the many white flowers onto the ground. “Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebearers.” He turned to Gandalf and I, “Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas that these evil days should be mine. They young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house.”
“Theodred’s death was not of your making,” said Gandalf.
“No parent should have to bury their child,” said the King as he began to cry.
Even I began to weep over with a man I had never met before. Théoden turned and bowed his head. I slowly walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Théoden did not push me away but continued to cry.
“I am sorry, My Lord. Though I did not know your son, I have heard from your people that he was a great warrior.”
Théoden fell to his knees and wept over his fallen son.
“He was strong in life,” said Gandalf. “His spirit will find its way to the halls of your fathers.” He spoke something in Elvish and then turned to me. “Come, Ireth. Let the King have some peace.” I nodded and gently rubbed the King’s back. I bowed to him and then turned to follow Gandalf back to the gates. But I heard something in the distance. I turned and saw a horse come walking up over the hill. Upon the horse were a little boy and a little girl. I watched as the little boy fell from the horse and onto the ground. I kicked up my feet and ran to the children.
“Ireth!” called Gandalf.
I reached the little boy and gently shook him. “Boy?” I whispered. “Boy, are you alright?”
“His name is Eothain,” piped the little girl.
I looked up at her and smiled. “What is yours, sweetheart?”
“Freda,” she said with tears in her eyes. “Is he alright?”
I picked up Eothain, “He is fine. Just tired.” I put him up on the horse and then I climbed up as well. It was a tight squeeze but we fit. I quickly nudged the horse into a gallop and took the children inside the gate. I stopped outside the Golden Hall and climbed down off of the horse. “Legolas!” I called. He quickly came running out of the Hall.
“Yes?” he asked eyeing the children.
“Take Eothain inside,” I nodded to the boy. “Get him some food and water.” Legolas nodded and pulled the boy off the horse and carried him inside. “Come here, Freda, and we will take care of you too.” She held out her arms to me and I put her on my hip. I looked at one of the guards. “Will you take this horse to the stable, please?” He bowed and took the horse away. Inside the boy was already seated and eating. I put the girl down and lead her over to her brother. Eowyn then spoke with them.
“They had no warning,” Eowyn said to the King. “They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go.” I turned to Legolas who shared a look with Aragorn, who was smoking his pipe. “Rick, cot and tree.”
“Where is Mama?” cried Freda.
Eowyn shushed her and placed a blanket on her shoulders. I looked up to the king who had his head in his hand.
“This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash,” Gandalf said to him. “All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight.”
“You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak,” Aragorn added. “Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king.”
Théoden stood, “They will be three hundred leagues from here by now,” he paused. “Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war.”
“Open war is upon you, whether you would choose to risk it or not, Théoden,” I said stepping forward. “You’re people are in danger.”
The King turned on me, “And what do you know of the matter? You are a woman. An Elf woman at that.”
“Just because I am a woman it does not mean I don’t know what I am speaking of, My Lord,” I growled. Legolas grabbed my shoulder.
“She is right, Théoden. Open war is at your door step, breaking down your door to get in,” spoke Aragorn.
Théoden then turned to Aragorn. “When last I looked Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan.”
“Then what is the king’s decision?” asked Gandalf.
The king turned back to Gandalf, “We make for Helm’s Deep.” The king then turned and walked away.
Gandalf huffed and walked out of the hall. Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, and I quickly followed after him. The guards were already outside giving orders to the people.
“By order of the king the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm’s Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need.” Shouted one of the guards.
“Helm’s Deep,” grumbled Gandalf.
“They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight,” shouted Gimli. “Who will defend them if not their king?”
“He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people,” said Aragorn as we walked into the stables. “Helm’s Deep has saved them in the past.”
“There is no way out of that ravine,” spoke Gandalf. “Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he’s leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold.”
“They will hold,” said Aragorn.
Gandalf walked over to Shadowfax, “The Grey Pilgrim. That’s what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I’ve walked this earth, and now I have not time.” Gandalf mounted Shadowfax. “With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east.”
“Go,” whispered Aragorn.
Gandalf then nudged Shadowfax into a racing gallop out of the town. I ran to the gates and watched as Gandalf disappeared into the distance with no certainty that he would ever be coming back. Frowning I turned and headed back to the stables to get Snowshadow.
By mid-day everyone was packed and we were headed out of Edoras. We, Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn, and I, rode in front with the King and his men. Other guards were spread down the long line of people to protect them on both sides and more brought up the end. The journey would be slow, I knew it already.