Status: On Hold.

Well, Maybe a Little Bit

Chapter Six

When I awoke, I was alone. I carefully sat up in the bed before throwing my legs over the edge and standing. I grabbed my bow and arrows and swung them around my shoulder. I then strapped my sword to my waist along with my dagger. I put my hood up before leaving the room. I could feel the guards watching me as I wondered around the keep. I kept my head down, my gaze drifting anywhere but to one's eyes. I was ashamed, and it seems the news had been spread around.

But the drifting people caught my attention. The crowds were thinned. I stopped and leaned against the corner, listing to the guards. "All the women and children into the caves! All able men to the armory!" I clenched my jaw as they pulled young sons from their crying mothers. I pushed off the wall and went straight to the armory. I paused in the door, seeing Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli already there. Silently I drifted down the stairs and took shadow to one of the pillars of the room.

"Farmers, farriers, stable boys," Aragorn frowned. "These are no soldiers."

"Most have seen too many winters," grunted Gimli.

"Or too few," Legolas said quietly. "Look at them," he said, harsher now. "They're frightened. You can see it in their eyes." The men of the room fell quiet. "And they should be... Three hundred... against ten thousand!"

"They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras..." Aragorn tried to reason.

"Aragorn, They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!" I swallowed at Legolas's harsh words.

"Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn snapped back. Aragorn seemed to want to say something more, but turned and left the room.

Legolas went to fallow but Gimli grabbed his bow, "Let him go, lad. Let him be."

"Is there no hope?" I asked quietly. Legolas turned and looked at me, Gimli fallowing his gaze. "Are we all going to die? Here? Is this waste land? Is there really no hope?"

Legolas looked down. "There is always hope, Lass," Gimli tried to amend.

"No," I whispered and the two looked at me again. "There isn't." I looked at the men in the room. "We need help. Or we will fail." I pushed off the wall and secluded myself into another corner. The men soon drifted out. Aragorn returned later and placed on his armor. I watched Legolas snatch his sword off the table before Aragorn could pick it up. He then handed it to him, an apology hidden in his actions. Aragorn took the sword with a nod.

"We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray," Legolas said calmly. "Forgive me. I was wrong to despair."

Aragorn shook his head, placed his hand on his heart before grasping Legolas's shoulder, "There is nothing to forgive, Legolas."

Gimli came out, struggling with his chain mail. "We had time, I'd get this adjusted." He got it over his chest and it fell to the floor. "It's a little tight across the chest." The elf and the man smiled at him before he went off to find the rest of his armor.

"Ireth?" I gazed up at Aragorn. "Are you going to fight with us?"

I shifted, "Are you so sure you want me to?"

"Ireth," Aragorn began but never said anything more.

"It's alright," I whispered. "I'm no so sure I trust myself anymore."

A hand grasped my shoulder and I looked up to see Aragorn standing before me. "Fight with us, Ireth. You are of Middle Earth, same as we."

"But-"

Aragorn shook his head, "No. No doubt. You will fight with us. He will not win."

I gave a small smiled before looking to Legolas. He smirked and inclined his head, agreeing with Aragorn. I looked back at the man. "You drive a hard bargain, My Lord. But perhaps you are right. I will fight." A horn sounded and we all looked at the door.

"That is no Orc horn," said Legolas. Legolas, Aragorn, and I quickly left the armory, Gimli still getting his armor on, and ran to the gate. I smiled when I saw Haldir and an army of Elves awaiting.

"We come to honor that allegiance," smiled Haldir.

Aragorn ran down the steps and placed his hand on his heart. He wen to grasp Haldir's shoulder but grabbed him in a hug instead. "You are most welcome," smiled Aragorn. Legolas then greeted Haldir.

I lingered for a moment before I too hugged him. He smiled at me before turning to the king. "We are proud to fight alongside Men once more."

Maybe there is hope after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. I know. I'm sorry. But I was very unprepared for this. I haven't looked at any writing for this story in a long time. I'm sorry if its not that great. The fight will be in the next chapter so it should be longer!!!