Star Bryte

New Faces

“Hey, guys. What’s going on?” Lucas said. Lucas was the captain of the glee club, starred in 8 high school musicals. Yes, just like the movie. Overall he was a straight out outcast that didn’t care about others opinions. But his only friends were Ashleigh and Rachelle on the glee club.
“Nothing much, what are you doing over here?”I said, trying not to sound too rude.
“I am going to sit over here.”He said oh so dramatically.
“Okay.”I said slurring my words.
“Okay, I am going to stop beating around the bush. I would like to join your band!” He exclaimed possibly waiting for applause.
“I don’t know if you noticed but it’s a women’s band. I didn’t even know you could play an instrument.”I said acting as leader of the pack.
“Problems solved, I’m gay and I play a mean bass guitar.” He said smiling encouragingly. Viv and I start to huddle.
“Well, he’s gay. So that almost makes him a woman.” Viv whispers.
“He can play the bass guitar, and no one else can in the band.”I said feeling pressured with an undeniably nasty taste of spinach crackers in my mouth. I’m serious the cafeteria needs to get a new food provider, because this is plain ridiculous. “Fine, I say he’s in. He can have a practice run today after school.” Then we turn around and glance around our table. Storm’s 24 inch sub was almost finished; Lucas is singing a song about how life is a box of chocolates. I hate to say it, but he has some vocals. When did I become such a nerd?
“Fine, you’re in.”I said. My mom always told me to give people a chance before I started hating them.
“Yes! I’m included! So when is our first practice?”He asks real excitedly.
I scowl, “Just come to my house after school today, okay?” I hope this was worth it.
“Sure. Do you know exactly when it will end? I have a thirty minute facial ritual that I’m not allowed to start after 10 o clock.” He said sounding gayer than I’ve ever heard.
“Practice is over when it’s over. There’s no time span, sometimes we have to make sacrifices.” I said. Usually our practice ends around 8:30, but I was trying to scare him into the reality of being in a band.
As everything started settling down at the lunch table I see a dark shadow over me, so either Hannah is standing over me or the school built a building behind me. “I want to be in your band too.” She said. I was afraid this would happen. Then I turn around and looked her in the eyes.
“Hannah, to be in a band you have to play an instrument.” I said lightly.
“I can play an instrument, I play the guitar.” She said proudly.
“Well, I’m already the bands guitarist.” I said.
“I can be the second guitarist.” She said, “I could be a backup singer too.”
I looked at the table of hopeful faces and let out a sigh, “Fine, just come to my house after school and we’ll situate everything there.”
She scoffed, “like I know where your house is.” She combed her fingers through her choppy blond hair.
I rolled my eyes, “Just follow me home after school or something.” I turned back around to the table and started picking at my lunch. I swear I should start bringing my lunch or I’d starve to death.
I silently pulled my iPod out of my bag. After carefully untangling the mess of the earphones I listened happily to my music. The only real escape I had to this chaotic mess called life.
“Hey Evelyn,” Viv said cautiously, “Somebody over there wants you to sit by him.” I rolled my eyes at that sick joke and continued tapping my foot to the music.
“Seriously. Look over there.” She pointed over to a secluded table in the corner of the cafeteria. He’s always been there, sitting alone, but I’ve never cared enough to take notice. I scanned him over from where I was sitting and decided to just go ahead and go over there.
I walked slowly and carefully to the other side of the cafeteria. I only took my lemonade with me, the rest was just pointless. I sat down in front of him. What did he want? He looked at me with his cocky, knowing eyes and quietly spoke, “Hey.”
I sighed to myself, “Hey. What did you want?” I looked at him curiously waiting for an answer. Maybe he wanted to ask me out or something. Probably not, since I’m the least desirable person in this school.
He had that obvious emo look that girls like me certainly go for, but I wasn’t quite sure of him yet.
“I just got lonely. Sitting over here by myself is really depressing. You seemed like a nice person from afar.” He watched me with a blank face.
“So,” I paused catching my breath, “You just want company? I can do that.” This guy seemed so shy and unappreciated. It was people like us who needed good attention. His bangs just reached his eyelashes, while his hair almost went to his shoulders and it was the color of brown. This was no muddy brown, but it was like dark chocolate brown, and well kept I must say. I looked him over again; he wore a plain black shirt and black skinny jeans from what I could see.
“What’s your name?” He asked sweetly.
“Evelyn. How about you? Do you have a name?”I said, eyebrows raised.
He chuckled softly, “Yeah, my name is Eli.” The way he talked, it reminded me of a mix of Christofer Drew; sweet and hippy like and Andy Six; Screamo with extra emo and very forceful with his words.
I smiled contently and realized I still had music blasting in my ears. I lazily pulled the earphone out of my left ear and stopped the music. My dad always did tell me it was rude to listen to music when you’re talking to others.
“So what is your favorite band?” He asked, obviously attempting conversation.
I bit my lip, “I don’t know, I have lots.” I paused thinking for a second, “If I had to choose, it would probably be the Runaways, or Green day,” and I quickly added, “Oh, also the Black Veil Brides.”
“So I’m guessing you aren’t a pop junkie?” He said smiling. “Yeah, I really like Green day too, and also Metallica.” He glanced around us, “So, the Black Veil Brides? They are rather screamo if you ask me.”
I nodded, “I like them; they’re a good band. But I also like Secondhand Serenade and Nevershoutnever.”
“So, Goth girl has a sweet side too.” He said jokingly. I rolled my eyes and took a swig of my lemonade. “Hey Evelyn, I think we need to go back to class now. The whole cafeteria is nearly empty.”
I sighed sadly, “Um, okay. Hey what grade are you in?” I quickly stood up and started walking into the hallway with him.
“I’m a junior.” I looked down; an older man. “What about you?” He looked down toward me. He seemed taller than I thought he would be.
“I’m just a sophomore,” I said blandly. What junior would go out, or even be friends with a sophomore?
He nodded his head, “Cool I guess.” We drifted silently to the junior section of the school and when we finally got there, I felt a wave of sadness over take me.
We stopped plainly in the hallway; feeling slightly violated knowing juniors were peeking out the classroom doors and windows. “I guess I’ll see you later then, Evelyn.” He said smoothly with his icy cold voice. He walked slowly back to his class and I sighed.
I didn’t really care that I was missing parts of my fourth period, because all that I could think about was Eli’s face and how well we got along. I knew Viv would be interested in knowing what went on during lunch.
I guess we’ll just have to see how things go on from here with Eli, the band, and even my irritating little sisters.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH ELI....