Star Bryte

Band Practice

Viv and I pulled carefully out of the parking lot, watching for any poor, unfortunate souls who are just too close to my car. I turned the air on to full blast and watched Viv shiver as I let the wind blow my hair around.
“So how did things go with Mr. Eli?” Vivian asked anxiously. She was almost bouncing with joy and excitement, since it’s been about two years since I’ve had any sort of boyfriend. About two years ago I decided to become a rock star and changed my image, because that’s what I felt like doing. Apparently all black and combat boots is a big turnoff to guys at my school. Whatever.
I ignored Viv for the moment and waited for Storm/Hannah to ride in behind me so she could follow me home for band practice. I wasn’t so worried that Lucas couldn’t find my house because when we were little he would always come over to jump on my trampoline.
I finally summed up some words for Vivian about how Eli was, as she still awaited my answer. “Well, Eli is a tortured soul who needs attention.” I paused not exactly sure what to say, “And he is a-mazing! I think we could definitely become friends.” I smiled to myself contently, realizing all I wanted was more friends.
She frowned disappointedly, “Just friends? Not anything more than that?” I sighed as I thought of something to say that would justify why we shouldn’t be together.
“Well, Viv, we just met today and who knows what could happen? I mean he is a junior! I’m just a lousy sophomore.” I said frustrated, as I pulled into the middle school to pick up Scarlett and Plum.
She murmured, “Well at least you aren’t a freshman.” We both busted out laughing, as we realized the stupidity of it all.
Scarlett jumped into the car, startling both Vivian and me. “Why hello Ms. Sunshine!” I said sarcastically as she adjusted herself in the car and slammed the door behind her. She didn’t look so happy.
She didn’t reply and kept staring straight like she did this morning. I rolled my eyes and continued driving out of the parking lot.
As we started rounding the street toward our house, Hannah rolling in behind us, Scarlett spoke. “Could you drop me off at the 7-11 by the house?” She asked bitterly.
“Excuse me? What’s with you today? You act like I killed your cat and you know mom will want you home.” I paused realizing an absence in the car, “Speaking of, where is your sister?” Seriously, these little teens are frustrating me to death!
“Exactly! She’s at the green and healthy club meeting, so why can’t I go hang with some friends at the gas station?” She asked accusingly.
“Well, what kind of a hang out place is 7-11?” I asked utterly confused.
She sighed, “I don’t know Evelyn, and just do this for me please.” She looked out of the window avoiding eye contact with me as I turned around to face her.
I looked at Viv for advice on what to do, she looked plainly clueless. Of course she wouldn’t know what to do, since she was raised an only child. “Fine Scarlett, I will let you hang there. Just call me when you’re done, because remember we still need to know where you are.”
“Gosh Evelyn you are not my mother, but okay. Thanks.” She said. I slowed to a stop and she quickly jumped out to meet up with the three guys and two other girls that were already leaning against the gas station walls.
For the rest of the drive home, Viv and I didn’t really talk about much, but we listened to the radio. As I pulled into my driveway, I left space to my right for Hannah’s bug to park. It was quite the miracle she could fit in the tiny Volkswagen.
As I entered my spacious house, I called for my mom, “Mom! I have Viv and Hannah over for band practice, and Lucas should be coming soon. Also, Scarlett is hanging out with some friends at the gas station.
My mother walked into the living room where we were standing and questioned me, “Scarlett is at the gas station?”
I shrugged my shoulders and walked away to the garage, Hannah and Viv at my tail. “You guys want some juice or soda?” I asked as we walked to the garage fridge.
Hannah pondered, “I’ll have some beer.” She said pointing to the amber liquid in the back of the fridge.
“No! That’s my mom’s stupid! I’m also going to guess you have a few years ahead of you before you need to be drinking beer.” I said kind of angry at Hannah.
“Jeesh! I was just joshing you! Calm down.” She said defensively.
I heard Viv in the back ground playing her drums loudly. I turned around and smiled, “What do you call that? That’s gold!”
She smiled in return, “Thanks! I’ve been working on it over the week and i call it ‘Busted up Dreams’. You like it?”
“I love it; I’ll have to think of a guitar accompaniment. Or if you wanted it could be a drum solo.” She shrugged excitedly. But suddenly I heard a loud knocking on the garage door. I hurriedly opened the metal door and saw…. Steven.
“Steven what are you doing here?” Steven was my annoying next door neighbor. He was a sophomore and was undeniably really cute, just really irritating.
“Just came to enjoy the music, that’s all.” He said smoothly flipping his hair. He always had a crush on Viv and hid in the bushes to watch her while we played in the yard when we were younger.
“Yeah right Steven. Go home! We’re in the middle of band practice and our gay bassist is coming soon. You don’t want to attract him, do ya?” I said teasingly.
His face crinkled in disgust, “Well, what’s your band name?” He asked Vivian sweetly.
She blushed and quickly responded, “It’s called Legally Stupid.” She smiled halfheartedly as Steven started chuckling at our name.
“Nice.” He said, still giggling. I rolled my eyes at him and watched happily as Lucas pulled in my driveway. I gestured toward Lucas to Steven and he quickly ran back to his house.
Lucas bounded toward us, “I have a wonderful band name!”
We sighed, “We already have a band name Lucas!” I exclaimed.
“What is it?” He asked doubtfully.
“Legally stupid.” Viv replied
“No.” Lucas said disgusted, “I think we should be called The Cherry Children!” We all shook our heads in unison.
“No way is our band going to be called “The Cherry Children”! Vivian said defensively.
Hannah finally spoke up, “How about this: ‘Legally awesome’?”
I considered it. It wasn’t that bad of a name for a band. It was actually kind of cool. “Well, I like it!” I said and Viv nodded her head in agreement.
Lucas rolled his eyes, “Whatever. I don’t really care as long as we have some awesome songs. Have you guys written anything yet Viv and Evelyn?”
I bit my lip, “Well, just a few songs and they are pretty upbeat and Viv just here came up with a little drum melody.” I hurriedly picked up my guitar and started plugging it into the amp. My mother’s worst regret in life was probably buying me an amp for my electric guitar. I always put the volume on high and she can hear every little riff I make from anywhere in the house.
Hannah said, “That’s pretty cool! So, can we hear it? Vivian’s drum solo?”
We all glance around to her and we saw her blush a little. Usually it was just us two but with two extra members she seemed shyer. “I guess that’s fine.” She started pounding on her electric drums quickly with such the rocknroll mojo.
Once she was finished we all applauded and listened as Storm and Lucas started trying to find instrument accompaniments that went with the drums. I already started trying to make lyrics for the punk song.
In about an hour we had established a 3 minute song with two verses and a chorus. It all went well and everyone at least acted as if they were having a good time with each other. Then I realized, that maybe I had just made two new friends.
Friends were something that didn’t come easy to me. I’d always been the loner in the crowd. Randomly, I started strumming my guitar to the beat of 21 guns by Green day. This song always made me feel better even though the beat was very solemn. It made me feel like maybe I’m not the only one who goes through pain.
“Honey!!” yelled my mother from the garage door that leads to my dad’s office. “Someone just called and complained that your music was too loud! I think maybe it’s time to turn the amps off or down at least. We don’t need another neighborhood riot!”
I rolled my eyes. “That’s exactly what we want! Riots are what bands should be made for. I love riots! At least our music is heard!”
“Well, honey just listen to me or practice is over!” she said parent-like to me.
“Fine.” I said. I turned the volume knob on my amp lower so that only our house could hear the music.
“Who do you think complained?”Viv asked curiously. Someone always had to go and complain whenever we had band practice. Why can’t anyone just enjoy the music?
“Probably the Jeffersons.” I said sure of myself. “They complained last time and I think they have some sort of conspiracy against Legally Awesome.”
Before anyone could respond there was another knock on our garage door from the outside. “Go away Steven!!” I yelled before opening the door, sure it was him.
“My name isn’t Steven!” Said a familiar, but unfamiliar voice. I quickly opened the door. It was Eli. Of course.
My breath shuddered, “Hey.” I said nonchalantly.
“Hey it sounds like your band needs help.” He said smugly yet like he really wanted to help.
“Why do you say that?” I said kind of angrily. It’s like he doesn’t even know what sound we are going for so how can he offer help?
He looked at me carefully. His dark eyes sparkled genuinely towards me. I felt like I could see his whole soul. All the pain and all the hard years he’s gone through. I could tell he had the whole world on his shoulders by the look in his eye.
“Look, I know pain and I know what it’s like to feel like you are in a mosh pit 24/7.” He said monotonously, “I think I can help you by first turning your music down before my parents complain again and call the cops. Now none of us want that happening do we?”
I shook my head and looked down to my shoes feeling utterly speechless. Maybe he was like the punk rock king or something.
“Okay!” Blurted out Vivian, “You are right we probably do need more help than we think so help us. Join the band!”
I turned my head to face her and stared at her. She very casually winked at me. I felt like doing a face-palm because this is totally not what I wanted to happen!
“Are you sure? I mean I could play like-,” I interrupted him rudely.
“No! Just no.” I think our band has enough band members already. We wouldn’t have a job for you. We probably don’t need your help anyway. I think we can establish our own sound.” I felt so bad for just ruining everyone’s happy mood by pretty much kicking someone out of my garage but I didn’t want Eli to judge us the way everyone has the tendency to do. I just didn’t want to ruin what we had going for us.
“Fine.” He said emotionlessly. He walked away slowly back out toward the street and I could feel his cold absence, all the way until he faded over the hill and into the sunset.
“What was that for?” Lucas asked offendedly. “He could’ve given us a chance to feel good about our music and he could’ve taught us cool techniques!”
“Well shut up! You don’t even know him! You don’t even know if he can play an instrument or if he has any talent whatsoever!” I said angrily. Why was I so angry all of a sudden? I could’ve let Eli in the band and everyone could be happy but no I had to go and ruin it by not allowing it just because I don’t want my feelings to get in the way. I always ruin things.
I felt tears stinging in my eyes. I felt somewhere between insane and insecure. “Band practice is over. If you want, come back Tuesday.” I sniffled and went inside with my guitar. I felt bad that Viv had to go and walk herself home but I wasn’t in the mood to go two blocks down stifling tears.