‹ Prequel: Give Into Me

Country Strong

We've Come So Far Since That Day

“What's taking so long?” Caroline whined from the foyer of the house her and Matt shared. After she got back from tour the first time around, it didn't take long for the two of them to get tired of the forty-five minute to sometimes an hour long drive to see one another. Eventually some of Caroline's belongings found spots in his drawers and bathroom, then one day over breakfast Matt flat out asked if she wanted a permanent spot to come home to at the end of the day. Almost a year later they were living happily in the three bedroom home. However it wasn't lost on Caroline that it was also the same home that he shared with Valary.

“Matt, we're going to be late.” She huffed with a slight stomp of her foot as she could hear him moving around upstairs. She had been home all of thirty-six hours and it was as if things hadn't changed at all in her time away and even though it drove her nuts, it was comforting to be in her normal environment.

“Calm down, we're only going to fuckin' Christ's place.” Matt replied with a chuckle from the top of the stairwell. Due to Caroline's return, Lacey and Matt had planned a large get together for all of their friends to welcome her back. What Caroline didn't know was that Lacey's part of the welcome home didn't start until after dusk. For his part, they were running right on time.

As Matt made his way down the stairs, he caught the pouty look on her face. He smirked to himself knowing that she'd be singing a different tune, no pun intended, by the end of the day. Matt flashed her a dimpled grin before ushering her towards the front door. Luckily for him, she didn't put up much of an argument until they were buckled in and rolling down the street towards their destination.

“Blame the time thing on Delia, she's always on my ass about being ready.” Caroline huffed at the mention of her manager of the past six months. She liked Delia, she knew her way around the Hollywood and most of all Nashville scene but there were times where Caroline wondered if she did things cause it bettered Caroline's career or her own. Especially in her choice at bringing Colton into the mix and forcing the two of them to spend so much time together on the road from venue to venue.

“Yeah, she seems like kind of a hard ass.” Matt commented, casting a quick glance over at his girlfriend, he was still getting used to the idea of her being back. She'd been so for so long that he wondered if her being home would be strange at all but he was happy that the change came effortlessly to both of them. “I'm surprised she let you have the week off.”

“I promised to do promotion on Jimmy Kimmel on Tuesday, so it was a trade off.” Caroline chuckled, she wasn't a big on the promotion aspect of being a musician but she knew from seeing Matt and the guys hit it big that it came with the territory.

Though, Avenged Sevenfold's promotion was vastly different than her own, they didn't really do morning shows and she was booked to make appearances on several morning and daytime talk shows once her week long resting period was done. She couldn't even begin to count how many she had coming up but luckily for her she had a couple of nighttime talks shows and out of all of them Jimmy Kimmel was fun to talk to from what she had heard.

“A week before your album comes out, you excited?” Matt asked, trying to keep Caroline distracted so she wouldn't notice that they were going the completely wrong way, that is if they were going to Johnny's like she had expected they were.

“I am, but a little nervous. It's different than my last album, I don't know if people will take to it as well ya know?” Caroline explained softly, before reaching over to cover Matt's hand that sat on the gear shift. She let her thumb lightly graze his knuckles before he flipped his hand around and wrapped his fingers around her much smaller one. “I guess I'm just happier now.” She smiled, sneaking a look Matt's way.

He caught her look just before he brought her hand up to his lips and he placed a soft kiss on the top of her hand. “Everyone will love it...and if they don't then I'll buy every copy out there.” Matt assured with wink which garnered a small chuckle from Caroline.

“I hope it doesn't come down to that, you'll go bankrupt then we'll both be fucked.” Caroline mused as she turned her head to look out the passenger side window just as Matt released her hand as he had to flick his signal. “Matt, I don't think you're going the right way...” She said in weary tone, casting him a quizzical glance.

“Don't worry about it, so what's Colton up to? Goin' back to Texas until your promotion shit is over?” He attempted to change the topic and by the look of hesitation on her face, it seemed to have worked for the time being.

Caroline released a sigh before answering. “He's staying in Los Angeles for a while.” She had to bite her tongue as she was tempted to add in a bitter 'unfortunately' but decided against it as she didn't want to get into it with Matt. Especially not during her first few days back, she wanted to relax and be work free until Tuesday came around. “Delia wants him to finish recording out here then he might go back to Nashville to make some adjustments later on.”

“I looked some of his stuff up online last night.” Matt smiled, and Caroline forced herself to smile along with him. A cheesy grin crossing her lips, but one thing Caroline gave Colton credit for was being a good musician. His songs were catchy and at times borderline rock which gave him a slight edge over most of the new upcoming country artists out there. Colton had a couple of different target audiences available to him and Caroline knew as well as anyone that the record executives loved an artist who could appeal to a broader audience. “He's good and pretty skilled with the guitar too.”

“Yeah, he's not bad.” Caroline mused, hiding her envy behind another smile. Colton also had a gift for making his guitar playing look effortless, in a sense he almost reminded her of Brian that way. Give him a little snippet of something and he could turn it into something you just can't help but want to listen to and be amazed by. She had heard him playing several times when he thought everyone on the bus was asleep, he wasn't as showy as Brian was but the skill was definitely there.

“We should get him and Brian together some time.” He chuckled, amused at the thought of Brian possibly being threatened by the young country singer. Caroline merely nodded her head at the notion but never verbally committed to the idea, introducing Colton to her group of friends hadn't been high on her to do list.

Caroline looked out the window once again and was reminded of her earlier comment. “We aren't even close to Johnny's, Matt.” She pointed out dumbly, cringing at how blonde she sounded in that moment of stating the obvious.

“You're catching on.” Matt laughed, his eyes focusing on the busy road ahead. “Anything look familiar?” He quirked a brow her way before she began scanning the surroundings. Her brows furrowed as she mulled it over in her head but as each second passed the frown got more and more confused and he could tell she was utterly confused. All she saw were houses, lots and lots of houses in a neighborhood that wasn't all that familiar.

“I don't know anyone who lives over here if that's what you're trying to imply.” Caroline shot back. She made a mental note that they were in a very expensive residential part of Huntington, a part that she had always wanted to live in but never could due to her minimal financial means.

Matt slowed the truck down as he parked along the street then proceeded to hop out of the vehicle, leaving a confused Caroline in the passenger seat. Matt ran around to her side before she had the chance to open the door and took her hand as she stepped out. Once she had her feet firmly planted on the ground, his large hands came to rest over her eyes, garnering her nothing but absolute blindness.

“Trust me, okay?” Matt wagered as his free hand slid around her waist to guide her to his desired location. He easily lead her across the small stone walkway and up the tiny set of stairs that lead to the open front door.

During the ordeal, Caroline heard numerous things but she still couldn't pin point where they were or who were the people around them. She heard various voices, too many almost, and lots of shoes shuffling against what she assumed was hardwood flooring.

“You ready?” Matt asked, his mouth dangerously close to her ear, sending a slight shiver down her spine. Caroline managed to keep enough of her wits about her to silently, but albeit eagerly, nod her head.

Soon enough the heaviness of Matt's hand was gone and Caroline slowly inched her eyes open to take in a large high ceiling foyer with a grand stairwell and chandelier to match. Her eyes soon landed on a moderately sized sign perched on an end table that read Open House with what Caroline assumed was the realtor’s picture and name at the bottom and information on the new renovations that had been made by the sellers.

“Do you recognize it?” Matt's eager tone made her focus a little harder on their surroundings but for the life of her she couldn't recall where she would know it from. Without another word spoken, Matt took her hand and led her through an archway which transitioned into the large open concept living room and kitchen. Several people were walking about, carefully examining everything from the cabinets right down to the quality of the new windows.

“Are we moving?” Caroline asked curiously, unsure of why Matt would bring her to an open house of all places. As far as she knew Matt was happy with his current house, he'd paid it off a year and a half ago and never seemed unhappy with it.

Matt chuckled before turning her body around so that her back was to him. He had his hands resting on her shoulders as his head dipped down so he could whisper in her ear. “Close your eyes.” He said simply, Caroline raised a brow but did as she was told, if only to humor him and hear what he had to say.

“Picture this place a little darker and hazy, but with a lot more people crammed inside.” Matt said as Caroline furrowed her brows, and tilted her head to the side trying to picture what Matt was describing.

With his free hand Matt pulled out his cellphone and scrolled through all of his music until he hit the song that he was looking for and with a flick of his thumb he let it play. He garnered more than a few odd looks from those looking at the house but he ignored them as he was there for a reason and he wouldn't let anyone ruin it. He slowly pulled his other necessity from his pocket and waited for the girl in front of him to turn around.

Caroline's mouth broke out into a large smile when she heard the opening introduction of Butterfly by Crazy Town, she threw her head back as the memory of why this house was so significant suddenly came rushing back to her. It was the house that held the party where she had met Matt for the very first time. With wide eyes and an eager smile, Caroline turned herself around with a playful laugh.

Her laugh soon disappeared only to be replaced by a bewildered look of surprise at the scene before her. One of Matt's hands held a small baby blue box, and inside the box sat a platinum band that was covered by several small diamonds which led to a halo of small diamonds engulfing the largest one in the center.

“Matt...” Caroline's breath seemed to have left her lungs and her eyes were wider than Matt had ever seen them before, so he took her speechless moment as his cue to say what he wanted to say.

“I remember the first time I saw you, you were shy and looked so small standing next to Jimmy.” Matt reminisced, remembering it as if it were yesterday, he could probably tell her exactly what she was wearing but he figured he should get to the point before she passed out from lack of breath. “We've been through a lot since the last time we were here.” Matt's voice was shaky but his mouth was upturned into a shy grin.

Caroline could tell that he was nervous despite him flashing her a dimpled smile, his hoarse voice and shaking hands were what gave him away. Not to mention the look in his eyes was not of Matt's usual confident demeanor, they were soft and vulnerable almost as if she muttered the wrong words she'd shatter him completely.

“After everything that happened...I can't tell you how sorry I am.” He paused to inhale a shaky breath, Caroline unintentionally followed suit. “But we're here now and this past year and a half of being with you made me realize I never want to go another day without you by my side so...” He trailed off as he slowly knelt down one knee and looked up at her like she was the only girl in the world. If she hadn't been so enthralled by Matt's steady and curious gaze, she might have noticed the spectacle that they were causing amongst the attendees of the open house but neither one seemed all that interested in their audience.

“Caroline, will you marry me?” His smile was almost blinding, and Caroline could hardly contain her own as she felt her mouth go dry and her eyes tear up. She tried to project her answer which was an astounding yes but her words had seemed to fail her so she settled for an eager nod instead.

With matching grins, Matt slipped the ring onto her finger before he stood up and crashed his lips against hers, feeling her body melt into his. Her smile never left her lips, it was only when he pulled away that it faltered and that was merely due to the loss of contact.

“So you think Delia will finally let you tell the world about me?” Matt asked, a lazy smile still lingering on his mouth. Until Matt said it, Caroline hadn't even considered what she'd tell her uptight manager but she had a week to figure it out.

“She'll have to, how can I possibly hide a fiance?” Caroline beamed before catching a glimpse of the ring on her finger. An overwhelming feeling of happiness washed over her and everything else; Colton, Delia, her image; was insignificant.

– - - - - -

By the time Caroline and Matt met up with everyone, they were all congregated around a large fire pit that sat amongst the main stretch of Huntington Beach. It was well past sundown and the fire pit that they had claimed was already roaring and keeping everyone surrounding it warm. Matt had his hand laced with Caroline's and as they got closer to the group they could hear Johnny and Brian bickering over who got the last can of beer. Caroline made sure her left hand was snug in her pocket, hiding the decently sized engagement ring from everyone's view.

Zacky and Lisa were cuddled up on a blanket as they watched Ben roasting his marshmallows over the raging fire. Across from them Lacey and Johnny were seated next to one another in matching beach chairs, Johnny was nursing what Caroline assumed was beer inside of his stainless steel coffee mug. Brian was next to Johnny, also in a beach chair but Erin, who was wrapped up in one of his black hoodies, sat on his lap. The blonde was also sipping from a coffee mug but it was safe to assume with her that there was actual coffee inside.

Travis and his girlfriend, Jenna, were sitting with Matt Berry looking like they were having an intense conversation about something. Just off to the side in her own spot on the sand but closest to them, Danielle sat with her legs folded underneath her and her long curly blonde hair blew in the chilly breeze. Caroline assumed it was Jason Berry sipping silently on a can of beer in between Danielle and the other Berry brother, but he had his back facing her so she could only see his dark hair poking out of the side of his hood.

“What fuck took you two so long?” Brian called before the pair even got to say their hellos or let the rest of them know about their arrival. Erin frowned at Brian's comment and smacked him lightly on the chest before flashing Caroline an apologetic look.

Caroline shrugged her shoulders casually just as Jason turned around, however, it wasn't Jason but rather Colton. An amused smirk stretching across his mouth as he caught her gaze. Matt chuckled at Brian but made it a point to let Brian's question go unanswered as he took a spot next to Danielle.

“Ignore him.” Erin insisted as Matt uttered something inaudible to everyone but Danielle, she tried to hide it but it was quite obvious as she chuckled to herself.

“She's the guest of honor, I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything...just saying.” Brian defended to the blonde sitting on top of him, before looking around to everyone else who had chosen to join the welcome home party. He was met with a few sympathetic faces and a chaste kiss from the blonde on his lap.

“We were preoccupied, Gates.” Matt said as he took Caroline's hand and helped her sit down just as he stood up and moved towards Travis. His tone made the comment seem much more suggestive than what had actually transpired. “That's all you need to know.” He finished before saying his hellos to Johnny and Lacey.

Caroline, meanwhile, was busy giving Travis a less than enthused look, it was clear that he was the cause of Colton intervening in her happy day. Travis quickly made his way over to her, his face giving away the guilt she knew that he was liable for. He held his hands up as he stopped right in front of her, his brows furrowed into a frown.

“I'm sorry, he made me feel like an asshole for not inviting him.” He argued, casting a glance over his shoulder to Colton and Danielle who were now openly chatting up Caroline's fiance along with Johnny and Lacey. “Plus I figured maybe him and Dani would hit it off.” Travis mustered a weak nod of his head.

Although Travis was merely trying to help, all Caroline could think was how wrong Colton was for her sister, especially since he used to be the type that she typically went for. Cocky, self-absorbed, careless to her feelings which eventually left her as the one hurting in the end of it all. Danielle's previous prospects were basically everything that a girl shouldn't want in a partner but that only lasted until she found better, which ended up being Jimmy. The last thing Caroline wanted for Danielle was to go back to her old ways and end up hurt yet again.

Before Caroline even had a chance to reply, Danielle was engulfing her in a tight and secure hug. Colton was hot on her heels but kept himself several strides behind as he watched the sisters interact. As she pulled away, Caroline caught sight of the band on Danielle's right hand, the same ring that Matt had returned to Danielle over a year ago. The one that Jimmy had bought and had planned to propose to her with before their sudden break up. A sad smile crossed Caroline's lips as she wondered how life would have turned out if Danielle and Jimmy had gotten married, and if his outcome would've been any different.

“I missed you.” Danielle beamed, her smile wider than Caroline had ever seen it. Caroline knew Danielle was still trying to find her place in the world, she was working at a bar in Los Angeles and had since taken over the apartment that Caroline had once claimed as her own in the downtown area. Danielle had dabbled in acting over the past year and had a couple of callbacks but nothing major as of yet. “Please never leave again.”

“I missed you too.” Caroline smiled genuinely, feeling content as she was surrounded by the people she had truly come to love and become her family. She consequently ignored the one presence behind Danielle that ruined the harmony of the group.

“Hope y'all don't mind me crashin'.” Colton drawled before Caroline spread a smile across her mouth and insisted that she didn't mind in the least.

“It's actually perfect, Matt and I have announcement to make.” Caroline replied in a bubbly tone, garnering more than a couple of odd looks from their friends. All eyes shifted to Caroline as she sunk her exposed toes into the sand and attempted to think of a way to tell everyone their news. “Do you want me to?” She cast her eyes down to Matt who was now sitting with Jenna and Matt Berry. Her right brow was quirked as her lips were pressed into a firm line.

“Tell us what?!” Johnny yelled suddenly. Almost making not only Caroline, but also Lacey who was relaxing in the sand between his legs, jump slightly at the volume of his voice.

“You're not pregnant are you?” Danielle's face contorted into something between concerned and panic, and Caroline had to press her lips even harder together to fight the smile struggling to form.

“They haven't fucked in two months, we'd know if she were pregnant.” Brian commented as his hands drew invisible circles on Erin's exposed legs, she again rolled her eyes at her boyfriends hasty comments.

“Not necessarily, most women don't show until their second trimester.” Lisa spoke up as the only woman in their group who had been in that position before. Suddenly, it was as if people just assumed that was her news and Caroline felt as though her moment was passing her by. “Trust me, I've been there twice.” Lisa commented with a casual laugh as she motioned towards her nine year old who was messily sharing his roasted marshmallows with Zacky.

“We're engaged.” Caroline blurted out catching everyone off guard and quickly looked to Matt who flashed her that dimpled grin of his. Matt quickly jumped to his feet and stood at her side but not before laying a soft but passionate kiss on her lips. Caroline removed her hand from her pocket to let everyone get a clear view of the ring Matt had given her.

“Fuckin' knew it!” Brian chimed in as not only Matt but also Erin shot him a doubtful look before she got to her feet and dragged him alongside to congratulate the new couple.

“First Baker and now you, Sanders. You're making the rest of us look bad.” Travis commented with a nervous smile, and gave Matt a one handed hug before looking back to Jenna who was smiling happily for the pair.

The rest of their friends crowded them with warm hugs and kind words before everyone was then situated around the fire pit once again.

“Well color me shocked.” Colton joked with an amused smirk before Matt and Caroline had a chance to sit themselves down. Matt had one draped around Caroline's shoulders but stuck out his free one to shake the southern man's hand. Colton took it without a second thought and offered his congratulations to Matt but Caroline had a feeling that it wasn't as genuine as it sounded.

“I heard you'll be around for a while.” Matt commented as he stuffed his hand back into his jacket pocket while the other remained loosely around Caroline. Colton's eyes shot over to her briefly and as she took note of it, she pulled her body closer to Matt's before he shifted his brown eyes back to her fiance. “Are you enjoying California?”

“I was thinkin' 'bout it.” Colton vaguely shrug his shoulders, some of his loose black curls blowing lightly in the breeze. “I'm likin' it so far.” He flashed a slight smile before turning his eyes towards Danielle who was curled up in the sand next to Lacey.

“You're always welcome to come hang around with us, man.” Matt said, and Caroline almost wished that Matt was less friendly so that Colton didn't have an open offer to drop by whenever he felt like it. She got to spend enough time with him on the road, she didn't need him taking over her group of friends as well.

“As long as it's all good and well with Miss Caroline.” Colton upped his cheesiness level with a grin that made it difficult for her to not roll her eyes. However, Caroline kept her composure and didn't let him phase her as she flashed him an equally cheesy grin and agreed that it was fine by her.

Colton then excused himself and Caroline watched him saunter over to her older sister, as if Danielle were his prey and he was circling her, just waiting for the right moment to swoop in for the kill.

“Welcome home, Care.” Matt placed a kiss on top of her head and he instantly drew her thoughts away from Colton and his lame attempts at wooing Danielle, and onto the fact that she was newly engaged and had a wedding to plan on top of everything else. As if her life hadn't been hectic enough as it was, she had more on her plate than she ever anticipated but that was life and right now she loved every minute of it.

“It's good to be back.” She muttered before sinking herself flush against his side and let herself relax for the first time in months.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG They're engaged, yay! Thanks everyone who's continued supporting me! Please continue with comments and let me know how I'm doing? And what you'd like to see? And if anyone doesn't know who Erin and Lisa are, they are apart of my other A7x series and appear in Just Say Yes and the sequel Open Your Eyes.

Also please check out my other story, not A7X but still good, Let Me Down Easy. Please and thanks. :)