‹ Prequel: The Darkness Within
Status: Working on chapters!

Calling Me as You Fade to Black

Ten: What Kind of Explanation is That?

I woke up in the hospital wing the next morning with a splitting headache. I don’t remember hitting my head. Heck, I don’t remember much of anything after slapping… Draco. After being gone for two years and the first words out of his mouth to me are, “what are you doing dancing with potter?”

Madam Pomfrey had walked into the room just as I had woke up and said,” Locklyn, you are free to go. Here is a potion for your headache but otherwise you’re free to go to lunch.”

I found clothes on a stool next to the bed so I figured my clothes had gotten there from either Hermione or Kreacher who was now working in the Hogwarts kitchens. I was at first the only one who Kreacher ad taken a liking to during my fifth year. I put on a faded pink shirt with a black pencil skirt and I tucked the shirt in. I slipped into my black high heels and put my black cloak on and headed to the Great Hall for lunch.

I decided I didn’t want to make any eye contact with Draco while at lunch. Part of me hoped he wasn’t even at lunch for some secretive reason. Since he hid from me for two years why not hide from me at lunch. He obviously didn’t miss me that much.

I remember planning on running straight to him and hugging him after finding him after the wizarding war but that changed. I hadn’t expected to be so angry. Usually that boy could make me forgive him for anything. I was too hungry and to go and get the ring that I had worn for two years straight with no hope. Well I was until I saw where the only open seat was.

I sighed knowing that I would have to sit next to Draco.

~Harry’s POV~

What nerve that git has to just show up after two years and expect everything to be normal. After Locklyn had passed out, I had told Madam Pomfrey to not let Malfoy in considering he was half the reason she was in the hospital wing in the first place.

When lunch had begun I watched as Draco took Locklyn’s seat next to me and left the only seat that was open was directly next to him. I rolled my eyes at his cockiness at thinking that she would even still want to sit next to him. My eyes flashed to the doors when I heard a pair of high heels making its way to the teachers table.

A tired Locklyn made her way to the table. I saw her hesitate when she saw who she was supposed to sit by even though she tried to be nonchalant about it. Her hair was in the exact same style as she had it during the ball. Her hair was redone though because it wasn’t frizzy or messed up what so ever. I wanted my chance with her, I really did. But now that Draco was back nobody knew what would be the outcome. She could not want to date at all with all the emotion pain she was put through or she could, who knew?

I watched her as she sat down in the seat and scooted over to where she wasn’t close to Draco. Hermione was sitting on the other side of her so I was glad she had someone she could talk to. Malfoy turned his head towards me and stated,” Want to stop staring at my fiancé?”

I raised an eyebrow and whispered,” Really? Are you sure she still is? If I were you I’d want to check her left hand.”

Malfoy ignored my comment but I could tell it had gotten to him. He was stealing looks at Locklyn.

When lunch was over I looked over to Locklyn and her plate was never even touched. It was still full of food. She was also the very first out of all the teachers to get up and begin to walk out of the Great Hall.

~Locklyn’s POV~

Sitting next to Draco was more awkward than I expected. Through my peripheral vision I saw him staring at me. When I left the Great Hall I decided to go down by the black Lake since it was a Saturday and there were no classes.

I had gotten to the edge of the lake and I took off my heels, so I could put my feet in the water. I heard an owl hooting on a rock not too far from me. I walked over to the owl that was holding The Daily Prophet in its talons. The owl let me take it from him and he flew away. There was a parchment attached to the newspaper. It was a note from Ron.

Dear Locklyn,
I heard Malfoy is now outta hiding and working at Hogwarts. This is just too fishy, there has to be a reason. Even the Daily Prophet has got wind of the story and they are trying to make it look like it’s a miracle. So looks like he still has daddy’s money to come up with the story because none of the aurors on the death eater case did. So over Christmas break, since your still an Auror, I need you to come back and you and I will go on a hunt for all the details. I’ll see you soon and I hope Malfoy doesn’t start any stupid crap with you.
Sincerely, Ron Weasley.


That made up mind. I wanted to find out what suddenly made him return, so I would go with Ron on a hunt for evidence over Christmas break. I heard footsteps behind me so I turned towards the footsteps. Behind my back I slipped the letter in the back of my skirt hem.
Draco walked towards me with his hands in his pockets. I bent down to pick up my heels to get ready to leave. He stated,” Don’t leave.”

I asked,” Why? Are you going to beg me not to like I begged you not to? How about I disappear for two years and make sure there is absolutely no lead to wherever I am?”

I started to walk past him and he grabbed my arm with a steel grasp. I noticed the scar on his forearm from the old Death eater tattoo. His face softened but mine didn’t. I sneered,” Let go of me.”

His hand stayed grasped on my arm. He looked as if he was in pain as he stated;” You have a right to know.”

I boiled with anger,” Damn Right! I was your god damn fiancé; I certainly think I have a right to know! Bloody Hell!”

I added,” Oh by the way, the night you decided to come out of hiding, that was the very first time I had taken off my ring for two fucking years Malfoy!”

He looked down at his feet with his arm still outstretched and holding onto me. He explained,” I wasn’t supposed to come here. I knew you were teaching but he didn’t. I’m never supposed to see you again. That’s what I was told by him. I thought he would change his mind by the time two years came around but he didn’t. So I began to grow desperate to see you. So I came here and he instructed specific things for me to do but…”

I shook my head not getting the point of this story,” Who is him? What kind of specific things? Why aren’t you allowed to see me again? This doesn’t make any sense.”

I felt the Auror coming out of me with me asking all these questions. I tried to use Occlumency, but who was I kidding, Draco was skilled at Occlumency. He looked scared and overwhelmed as he proclaimed,
I have to go.”

I yanked my arm from his grasp as I yelled,” Excuse me!? What!? Just like that? No explanation?”

He very quietly whispered,” I can’t get you included…”

His voice disappeared with the wind. I could feel the emotions that I had at the end of seventh year,” Why didn’t you just stay with me? Why did you go and ruin everything Draco Malfoy?”

I left quicker than he did and headed for the castle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally somewhat of an explanation but the more the story continues the more the real explanation comes out.!

Locklyn's oufit after she leaves the hospital wing