‹ Prequel: The Darkness Within
Status: Working on chapters!

Calling Me as You Fade to Black

Six: The Letter

Finally class ended and we didn’t have another one for an hour and a half. Locklyn still hadn’t said much to me. I saw her make her way to her bag so I stepped in front of it. She asked,” What are you doing?”

I crossed my arms,” You can’t just ignore what I said earlier.”

She growled,” Watch me…”

I didn’t move. I shrugged,” Wow, I never took you as someone who was afraid of saying what they feel. You must have changed.”

She slammed the extra books from the tables on the floor and yelled,” Of Course I’ve changed Harry! My only father figure is dead and I didn’t even get to say goodbye! How would you stay the same after that!? Having a life and a relationship with your father and he just dies!? You’ve NEVER had that! Sirius was only around for a year or so, and you never knew your dad! So I’m sorry for trying to hold onto something!!”

She stormed out of the room without her bag. I stood there, suddenly feeling extremely bad for letting it get that bad. So it was basically the no closure with Snape that was keeping her stuck in the past.

I wondered if I should follow her. I got the key to the classroom door and locked the door, and then I went looking for Locklyn.

Locklyn’s POV:

Harry’s honest hit me hard. I couldn’t even answer him. I took all class period to think of a
comeback and still I had troubles thinking of one. When he said that he never knew I changed, I freaked.

Right now I was in the dungeons. I knew most classes had a study time right now so no one would be in the potions room. I walked in and sat in my old desk picturing Snape still teaching the class. I felt like my old student self, running down the hallways crying because of Draco and then having to be his partner in Potions.

I remembered McGonagall’s offer on me to be the potions master whenever Slughorn wasn’t feeling good. I stood up and paced back and forth in the front of the room mimicking Snapes movements. Maybe I really did need help…

The big black door creaked open and McGonagall walked in. She stated,” I hope you don’t mind Ms. Riddle, I saw you running and I decided that I needed to give something to you.”

I looked at her, my eyes still red, and replied,” Give something to me?”

She walked towards me and motioned for me to sit. I sat down behind Slughorn’s desk. She explained,” Most teachers didn’t like Snape your seventh year so we basically tried to overrule him lots of times but he was always different with you. He was… soft. I’ve only seen him act like that with one other person. I pretty sure you being his ‘daughter’ renewed his will to live after what happened to Lily Evans.”

I questioned,” Lily Evans, Harry’s mom?”

She nodded and continued,” He knew her from childhood and loved her from the start. He felt it was completely his fault for her being murdered. Then Bellatrix Lestrange was captured along with a baby. The baby was taken from her and Dumbledore requested to see you. He was the one who determined you a Riddle, besides Bellatrix who screamed you were the dark lord’s daughter. You did resemble Tom Riddle as a baby. Today we still don’t know who your mother is though. Believe it or not, your eyes were Lily Evans’s green when you were a baby. Snape saw you and asked Dumbledore if he could be your guardian.”

I blinked and then stated,” I’ve never been told how I came about…”

McGonagall smiled a tiny smile and added,” Snape had been such a protector to you. He hated the fact that you were in the line of all the fighting your seventh year but he much rather have you where he could see you instead of being somewhere out in the world. He wrote you a letter in the headmaster’s office before we got him to flee the castle. He was half expecting to die that night but he hoped he wouldn’t for your sake.”

She placed the envelope on the desk and began to walk out. I wanted to ask why it took so long but I decided on not asking. I took a deep breath as I unfolded the old parchment paper.

My Dearest Locklyn,
We have not been so close for two years now. It’s your last year here at Hogwarts and probably you’re worst. If I had any choice I would get rid of the Carrow’s but since Dumbledore is no longer here and Voldemort has the death eaters in the school, I cannot. At the thought that no one really knows how this year is going to end I wanted to tell you everything.
You were 15 months old when I became your guardian. I was really unsure of what to do with an extraordinary baby. I had to keep an eye on you for if I didn’t I would find you outside with the garden snakes. That’s really what proved you to be the dark lord’s daughter, the fact that you could speak Parseltongue and according to Dumbledore you resembled him. As much as I despised the happy ending cartoons, it helped us become closer. The older you got the more you realized who alone I was. You were the second person to really know how I felt about Lily. Sometimes when I saw your eyes turning blue instead of Lily’s green it killed me inside but I knew they would make you, you.
Over the years I’ve watched you get heartbroken from Malfoy and get true recognition from helping Harry potter. You’ve never once disappointed me Locklyn. You’ve become a person who truly wants to help or finds the good in everyone. To this day I will always be proud to say that you are my daughter. You are the true keeper to all my secrets. You’ve always known my motives for my two sided actions. You have shown me many things but one I will never forget is what I have to live for and that is you.
Sincerely,
Severus Snape


Inside the Envelope was a little bottle that i expected was full of memories. I walked away from the desk and went into the storage room where I knew Snape had kept a pensieve. I entered an old memory of when we went to the little park by his house when I first learned how to walk. I had short brown hair and red button up coat on.

Snape was sitting on a bench in the same old black robes keeping a careful eye on me. I watched as the little me sat down by a bush and began to whisper in Parseltongue. Since I was so little I’m pretty sure I had no idea what I was saying and that is why Snape didn’t like me talking to snakes. I looked over to Snape as he called for me,” Locklyn come back to where I can see you.”

The little me struggled to get up and then I waddled to a wooden pole on the side of Snapes bench. He smiled at the toddler and asked,” Are you having fun?”

“I sure am Daddy,” The toddler replied.

I smiled at the way Snape’s expression glowed as the toddler called him ‘daddy.’ I watched the rest of the memory as Snape read a little about the three hallows to the toddler and the memory ended with the toddler and Snape walking back to the house. Snape held out his hand for the toddler to grab onto and she did.
♠ ♠ ♠
celestial_royalty: I hope i gave the letter from Snape justice.

Toddler Locklyn