Fear Of The Dark

Chapter XVIII

Sitting on my bed, I stared out at the fireplace that was burning in my room. Everything was so strange to me here. We'd only had one fireplace back home. Yet here, there was one in every room. Even the maid's rooms. I felt like I was being a bit bold, but I was getting used to living here.

I was even getting used to the etiquette rich people used. Even though I knew I shouldn't. Once the Ripper was gone it would be back to the house again. Back to the dirt and grime.

Looking up, I saw Zack poke his head round the door. I'd been so absorbed I hadn't noticed him knocking on the door. "Err, could I come in miss?" He asked hesitantly. I smiled at the 'miss'. I really did hate it.

"Yes you may," I said, gesturing for him to enter. He closed the door behind him, and sat next to me. I must say, since coming to live here, we'd been getting a long a lot better than before. "How is Kirsty?" I asked, concerned for my best friend. I hadn't seen her since the incident, and I knew Zack had gone to see her.

"She's upset that she agreed," he said quietly. I didn't speak for a moment, and sighed softly, rubbing my forehead gently.

"She did what was necessary to appease her parents," I whispered.

Zack looked at me and smiled, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion at him. "You speak so much better than you used to, I mean, before you where very well spoken, but now, you aren't as, wild I suppose," he stated, causing me to sigh softly.

"I feel like I'm losing myself here. I love it very much; it's what I've dreamed of. Living in one of the expensive houses. But in doing so, I'm losing who I am. I am loud and obnoxious. I make rich people scowl at me. And yet here, I get looks of approval. Put an expensive dress on, have your hair styled and keep quiet, and you're one of them."

He frowned, evidently not understanding.

"But, isn't that what you wanted? To be rich and to be accepted amongst them?" He asked gently, so as not to frustrate me.

"Yes, I dreamt of nothing more. But, it's come at a price. Apart from when I shouted at Kirsty the other day, have you seen me raise my voice? Have you seen any hint of stubbornness in my voice? In myself? I'm changing, and, well, I'm not sure I like it. I didn't realise being rich came at such a price." He looked at me with sympathetic eyes.

"I'm sorry you feel that way. You don't have to change yourself to fit in. I know there's that entire etiquette thing you have to follow. But you need to keep your personality. It's one of the things I like about you," his cheeks tinged pink slightly at this, and I couldn't help but beam internally. Such little words can have such an effect.

"But to be accepted you have to be perfect." He sighed and shook his head, reaching out and brushing some of my wavy dark hair behind my ear. I shivered at his touch. "You don't have to impress anyone," he whispered softly.

How could this man be so kind and considerate? When only weeks ago we were at each other's throats? One could never know.

"So what else did Kirsty say?" I asked casually, looking back at the logs in the dark fire. He remained watching me, the sky outside dark now, leaving shadows dancing in the corners and a soft orange glow on my face.

"She says the only way for her to back out now is to die, it was quite horrible," he muttered, looking down at the dark blanket on the bed. I sighed softly, shaking my head as I stared at my hands, which fiddled with each other nervously. Whenever he was near now, I always became more nervous.

"She revealed she loves Brian as well," he said, smiling softly. I looked at him, wide eyed. "She did?" I asked, amazed that she let this slip of information go so easily. He nodded and looked at the ceiling for a moment, studying the intricate designs.

"She didn't mean to, she let it slip. She's worried because she'll never be with him, because she's marrying the weirdo." I chuckled softly, bringing my hand up to my mouth at this, he smiled.

"Why did you go see her?" I asked, nobody else had gone except Zack, quite unusual. "I had to talk to her about something," he said, his voice strained slightly, as if he didn't want me to know. "What about?"

"Oh nothing important," he brushed the comment off.

I frowned at him.

"Well we did discuss the Forbidden Rules. Brian's breaking that as well as me, don't tell him I've told you though, he'll kill me." I frowned at this, "What's the rule?" I asked. He laughed shaking his head, "Kirsty asked that too"

"You're not supposed to get attached, as in, romantically you know? It's supposed to be for werewolves, but it's not specific. The rules mainly apply for when we're protecting, like now. Apart from that, there are no rules. I don't know anyone with two werewolf parents anyway." I frowned.

"So everyone has at least one human parent?" He nodded, "The werewolf gene is dominant, so no matter what the baby would be werewolf." I nodded thoughtfully, understanding this, "What happens if you break those rules then?" I asked.

"I don't know, like I told Kirsty, no-one has broken them yet, but we shall have to see won't we?" I acknowledged him, before it suddenly clicked, and my eyes widened.

"Wait a second. You said Brian's breaking that rule as well as me. That means you're breaking it too. So you've got attached to someone." His eyes widened suddenly, and he froze, not moving. I could tell he hadn't wanted that to get out.

"Who is it then?" I asked, hoping to God it was me, but not holding out enough hope. He shook his head, "I can't tell you that." Instantly I took it the wrong way. "It's Kirsty isn't it?" I asked, looking at him suspiciously. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked at me.

His face was a mixture of emotions, so I couldn't tell, but I assumed the answer was yes and looked away, trying to hide my tears. I knew it wasn't me. Who was I kidding?

"Sarah, Sarah are you ok?" He asked cautiously. I shook my head, and brought my hand up quickly and wiped my tears away. "Sarah please look at me," he brought my face round to his, and I looked down instantly.

"Sarah you've got the wrong end of this," he started, trying to plead with me. I sniffed. "See, yet another love interest isn't interested back. Is it not enough she has Brian fawning for her, that she has you? If I were from a rich background would you consider me?" He stared at me, not speaking for a moment.

"Sarah, I don't like Kirsty," he pleaded with me, trying to make me see. "It's you, not her, it's you and it always has been," he said; I stared at him, trying to see the hints of a lie, but there were none. "You said you can't tell me," I whispered. He sighed, "I said that because I didn't want you to find out, I thought I'd make a fool of myself. Evidently the feelings are mutual between us then."

I looked down at the bed, tears still falling.

He wiped them away. "And as for you're background, that has nothing to do with anything. I'll admit, I don't like the slums, and I don't normally like slum girls, and I know the rich aren't supposed to get involved with them either." My heart was beating irregular, the proximity of him now making me nervous.

"But when I've disregarded so many rules already, what's one more going to do to me?" He whispered. My eyes were closed, my emotions over taking, when I felt something warm upon my lips. On opening my eyes, I saw it was his own lips.

I had never been kissed before, but from what I was experiencing, I liked it. I kissed him back, in what I hoped was the right way, and discovered it was, as I felt him smile against my lips.

He brought his hand up to behind my neck, and held me in place. Closing my eyes again, I just let it happen, it was far better than I'd ever imagined, and I couldn't think of anything better.

I don't know how long we stayed frozen in place, but after a while we both pulled away. Opening my eyes, I saw him smiling like a madman. His normally vibrant green eyes where now a sparkling light jade colour, excited and happy.

"I've wanted to do that for a while now," he said smiling at me. I grinned back at him. "And so have I," I whispered. He leant forward again, capturing my lips with his again. It was infectious.

"We can't tell the guys about this. Brian and Kirsty yes, but no to the others. They will go crazy if they find out." I grinned and bit my lip, excitement fluttering in my stomach.

"But from now on, you're mine," he whispered softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally posted on Quizilla:
7th August 2007