Fear Of The Dark

Chapter XXIII

As I gazed out through the open window my eyes met a clear sky, devoid of any of the clouds that had constantly been down pouring on us the last few days. The moon was visible and the stars were bright, scattered across the blue velvet sky. Reaching my hand out of the window I felt the slightest of breezes brush over it sending a slight shiver up my skin.

I heard a chuckle behind me and turned to see Brian where he stood setting up his telescope. I smiled fondly at him and recoiled my hand into the warmth of the room and closed the window, the clear panes snapping shut and only letting in the outside view. Once done I moved over to him where he was now gazing through the end.

He straightened up smiling at me, before motioning to the telescope. I put one eye to it and saw all the stars magnified brilliantly, their beauty much greater. "That is what is called Draco," he informed me.

"Why's that?" I mumbled, trying desperately to make a shape out of the stars in the view.

"It's supposed to look like a dragon," he replied as I stepped away. "I couldn't find it at first either."

"Dragon, right," I said disbelievingly all the while flashing him a sly smile.

"Excuse me," Brian straightened up more, squaring up to me and pointing one of his index fingers at me. "I think you should stay with me on this because I listened to you telling me about flowers the other day."

"I guess it's 2 all then, is it not?"

"Two? Why two?" Brian raised an eyebrow in confusion; it was cute and I laughed.

"Do you not remember telling me my French was beautiful? Do I really mean so little to you and your exciting life?" I tacked onto the end in a playful sarcastic voice.

Brian's face went serious though as he closed a gap that wasn't there in the first place. He bent over till his face hovered close to mine and I could feel every breath on my face, could smell the cologne he wore everyday. I felt my heart speeding up as one hand rested on the small of my back, his piercing brown eyes trained on my boring blue ones.

"You mean more than the world to me Kirsty," he whispered before brushing his lips over mine. I pulled away though, casting a nervous glance to the door. "I don't care who knows it. If they don't like it they'll just have to learn to deal with it because I'm not going to make a fool of myself and deny something everybody knows is real."

I smiled before standing on my tip toes and pressing my lips to his once more. His hand wound it's way up to my neck as I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him as close as I possibly could. That was until the sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted us and we pulled away.

I turned to see Zack standing, looking anywhere but at us, and I frowned deeply. "I have nothing to say to you," I hissed. I couldn't believe he would say such things, when he had told me how much he loved her. Most of all, I couldn't believe he would break the heart of my best friend, an offence that would be punishable by death if I had my way.

"Please just-"

"No, Zack, I can't just anything," I snapped, cutting off his feeble words. "You hurt Sarah, shot her down. She reeeally loves you and you just shove it back in her face, like all the other guys did!"

"I only want to know where she is," he mumbled sadly.

"Well I have no intentions of telling you."

"She's gone to visit her parents with Johnny," Brian answered, pulling me away obviously fearing I might launch an attack on him or something. Instead I turned on him, to see his dark eyes trained on Zack.

"Brian!"

"I'm fed up of seeing his moping face," Brian answered me, going back to his telescope. I glared at Zack till he retreated from the room, closing the door behind him, before turning back to Brian as he continued to show me various constellations, some easier to find than others, until late.

I didn't realise it was late, however, until I heard the ringing of Big Ben to mark it turning 12 am. With that we decided to call it a night and Brian began gathering his things together to put away. "Have you figured out how you're going to tell your dad?" He asked, sounding casual as he moved around me.

"No, and I don't have the ring to give back either," I frowned as I sat in the window seat, chewing on my nail and staring into the fire.

Brian stopped what he was doing and turned to look at me. "I'll go retrieve the ring and we'll go see him sometime. This week."

I looked up and smiled thankfully. I stood up and moved over to hug him, finding his arms wrapped me up, enveloping me in his strong arms, and pressed a kiss to the top of my head. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before letting it out and leaning away from Brian.

I had intended to retire to bed at that point, but he made it incredibly hard by kissing me. I kissed back for a few minutes then pulled away with a grin, "I'll see you in the morning." With that I pulled away completely, the last thing to come away being my hand from his, until finally I was stood on the landing and able to go to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally posted on Quizilla:
21st August 2007