Fear Of The Dark

Chapter XVII

When I stepped back into the parlour, the guys all fell silent instantly, telling me they were either talking about me or talking about something sensitive I shouldn't be privy too. I smiled all the same and sank back down into my seat beside Brian, who smiled back at me. "So anyway, what did queer eye say when you gave back the ring?" Jimmy asked inquisitively.

"Did you throw it at him?" Johnny added on the end.

"He didn't say anything because my dad didn't give him the chance, and no I didn't throw it at him," I smiled in amusement at him as his face fell slightly.

"I so would have thrown the ring at his face; I would have tacked on some sharp pointy bits to it too, in the hope it corrected his face," he now added thoughtfully before putting on a stupid voice, I think was supposed to be me. "Have your ugly ring back you foul looking man! You belong in a zoo not married to such a beautiful thing like me!"

"I do not sound like that!" I squealed, turning and hitting him as hard as I could, to which he ran away across the room, holding his arms over his chest.

"I never said nor insinuated it was you," Johnny stuck his tongue out at me, as I followed him with my gaze. "I do believe I said 'I so would have thrown the ring at his face' not 'if I were you I would have thrown it at him'."

"Be quiet Johnny or I'll hurt you," Brian now said and Johnny instantly sank into the chair he was stood by, a safe distance from Brian though distance wouldn't stop him if he was going to carry out the threat. Johnny made a knowing look at the both of us and I wondered whether Brian had told them what he'd said to my father.

Suddenly Zack made a weird jerking motion where he was sat and he scrunched his face up as if he was in pain. He shook his head as if trying to rid himself of it but it didn't go evidently, until finally he relaxed and looked up at me with panic filled eyes. I looked at the others and the looks on their faces were almost as if they knew what was going on. "Where's Sarah?"

"I don't know, she said she wanted some time alone. I think she went to her room." I frowned. "Zack why-"

"Check all the rooms," he darted out of the parlour, the guys in tow leaving me sitting alone in confusion and barely a moment later they were back and Zack looked more worried than I had ever seen him look before. I stood up and moved out of the parlour to them where they were standing in the entrance.

"What's going on?"

"Sarah's in trouble," Zack replied, his sorrowful eyes meeting mine.

"What...how, how do you know?"

"Werewolves spend their lives from the moment they are bitten looking for their mate-"

"Mate?" I cut Brian off.

"Yes, mate. Well, that sounds a little too feral doesn't it? Think of it more as, well, you know how humans have this perception of 'The One?'" Johnny stated, gesturing slightly to me. I nodded, understanding him. "It's the werewolf equivalent of that. A soul mate I suppose you could call it. Do you understand?" I nodded once again, before frowning.

"But why can he tell she's in danger?" My voice was full of questioning, and it made them smile slightly.

"Well, this is going to sound so ridiculous to you, but anyway. When you find your soul mate, you automatically know, and you gain a connection with them. Unfortunately it generally only works on the werewolf side. So I don't think Sarah would know if Zack was in danger, not unless their feelings where strong enough," Matt spoke quickly, urgency in his voice.

"This connection means that if they're in trouble, when they panic over something, when they're upset or in any kind of pain, you feel it too. Whatever they feel is transferred directly into your body. You feel everything they feel," Jimmy said, leaning forward so to see me where I stood beside Brian.

"So, he knows she's in danger right now?" I pointed to Zack. They nodded quickly.

"And you are going to stay here," Brian added.

"Are you kidding me?" I retorted incredulously. "My best friend is in danger and you just expect me to stay here?!"

"Kirsty, that wasn't a question. You will be staying here," he said firmly, his gaze meeting mine and holding it until I sighed and gave in. I huffed folding my arms across my chest and glaring away at the wall as they pulled their jackets on, the weather being far too cold to leave the house without one now.

Brian quickly pulled me aside, his hard stare softening now. "We'll be as quick as possible; Zack's instincts will be as sharp as a needle right now so it won't take us long to find her."

"Good," I answered, folding my arms once more, and glancing up from under my lashes and through the blonde hair that had come out from the tidy coiffeur and was hanging in my eyes. "Be safe okay, all of you."

"I love you, I won't be gone for long, I swear," he seemed reluctant but I knew he would put it aside to help Sarah.

"I love you too," I answered, tiptoeing and pressing a soft kiss on his lips, before stepping back and letting him go. The door snapped shut behind them and I sighed, chewing on my lip and wondering how long I should leave it before I ventured out. Bugger Brian if he thought I was just going to sit at home and not help.

I wanted to be a dutiful wife to him, but whilst Sarah was in danger it made it incredibly hard for me to do as I was told. And because I had spent 13 years growing up on the streets of Whitechapel away from high society, apart from becoming more stubborn than I was before, I'd learnt that friendship tended to come before marriage.

So as much as I loved Brian, fifteen minutes after the door closed on their backs I pulled on my gloves and a coat, 13 years of friendship taking over. Rose protested. I stayed adamant. She fetched the rest of the staff who protested with her. I remained adamant and they trudged back to their quarters.

I debated taking my hat, but I thought the better of it. A hat was not going to help were I to find Sarah. Instead, I crossed the entrance hall to the door and reached out to pull open the door when an arm wrapped itself around my waist, dragging me backwards. I tried to scream but a hand was clamped over my mouth, muffling any noise as I was span round to see the guy from the night we'd found out about the guys.

I gulped, watching the warped and twisted smile of the man as he moved closer, and dragged a finger down my chin and onto my neck. Shivers of revolt ran through my body but there was nothing I could other than hope Brian would know. If I was even his soul mate that is.

"Hello sweetheart," the guy now drawled, his rancid breath blowing over my face and making me want to vomit. "You and your friend have been ever so elusive to my boss, thanks to your friends. Your...lovers," I gulped once more, screaming for Brian in my mind as a tear developed in the corner of my eye. "I do believe we have your lovely friend, but the gaffer, though, thinks it would be a terrible shame to miss out on the both of you with blood as sweet as yours."

"Yeah and since your friends have a gone a lookin' for darlin' Sarah, well, left you a bit vulnerable didn't it miss?" The other guy, the one who held me hostage, hissed in my ear.

I whimpered, feeling the tear slid down my face.

I was gonna die before my life had chance to get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally posted on Quizilla:
2nd September 2007