Fear Of The Dark

Chapter III

A smile cracked across my face as Johnny climbed on the table and began singing with one of the girls. He held a pint glass in one hand, and the beer was sloshing out over the side as he danced about which meant Sarah had to move or face having beer spilt all over her.

It was Isaac the landlords birthday so we, and all the other regulars in the Horse and Jockey had demanded a lock in after final orders so we could help celebrate the day with him; we were all merry enough with the drink and the cheeriness of everyone despite the fact Mary was no longer with us. That said Isaac climbed atop the table to stand on Annabeth's right, Johnny still to her left and joined in with the singing and dancing.

A glance at the clock mounted on the wall above the bar where everyone could see it showed me it was well into the night - it was actually coming up to three in the morning - but the party showed no sign of ceasing. "Sarah, Kirsty come join me," Johnny grinned at us but we both just shook our heads, laughing at him as someone sank into an empty seat at the table with us.

"If you don't wanna dance you can always come with us," a guy drawled, his head appearing between Sarah and I. We looked at him, ready with a retort but Johnny seemed to have sobered up and got there first, jumping down off the table and dragging him away, the pair of them yelling and cursing at each other first.

"Mind your tongues!" The lady sitting with us yelled at the guys caught in the brawl and those egging it on. "Just remember the company you're keeping. I'm sure these pretty little things don't want their ears tarnished!"

I glanced at Sarah then back at Annie who was frowning deeply with disgust and shaking her head at them. "Johnny's not that bad Annie," Sarah defended.

"Besides, they shouldn't be swearing in front of any of us girls, not just Sarah and I," I added pointedly.

"Oh come off it you two," Annie began, her blue eyes watching the both of us carefully. "You two are the only two 'oo actually has any sort of chance of getting yer'sens out of this dump and into well-to-do families. You're the only 2 'oo has self respect for yer'sens an' hasn't sold yer innocence."

That part was true and I cast another glance in Sarah's direction who was clearly, from the expression on her face, thinking the same thing. Neither of our fathers, our neighbours, friends or Johnny would let us sell ourselves because they were all convinced we were destined for greater things. That and we weren't stupid enough to do it.

"You two better be careful, a couple of young beauties like you, keep your wits about yer'sens if you know what's good for yer," I just blinked at her as Johnny came back to us. His shirt blood splattered from his fight and his nose bleeding slightly. Annie looked him over too as she gathered her things. "Get these girls home Johnny, it's not safe them being out so late."

"Annie's right girls, get your stuff together," I finished my water and retrieved my shawl before bidding a happy birthday to Isaac - even though it was now Saturday 8th September and his birthday ended 3 hours ago. With that I followed my two friends and Mrs Chapman out into the dark street. It was quite chilly out here and I shuddered. "Do you want us to walk you home?" Johnny asked into the darkness where I could just make out Annie's form in the opposite direction to where we were headed.

"Oh no Jonathon," she replied flapping her hand at us, and tugged her shawl closer around herself. "I'm 47, I'm quite capable of looking after me'sen. No, you just get yer girls home safely. I'll be fine."

"It's really no trouble Annie," I persisted.

"Girls, I shall be fine, stop worrying."

With that she disappeared up the road, darkness swallowing her and nothing but the fading sound of her heels on the cobble stones was left. I wanted to go after her; I didn't want her walking through London alone. "Johnny maybe-" Sarah began but suddenly he tensed up, staring off into the dark street at something only he could see.

"Let's go," he said tersely with a frown as he drew us closer to him in a protective manner. I'd seen his protective streak before but this was different, almost unsettling.

"What's the matter?" I asked curiously, having to run just to keep up with him.

"Nothing, just something Annie said," he answered before speeding up and hurrying off again and around the corner. I cursed him under my breath, slowing down for a moment. I heard a thud and the sound of coins clattering together which made me jump. I looked around me for the source, only to see my money pouch on the floor a few feet away. I went back and picked it up.

I pulled my shawl about my shoulders and walked off around the corner after Johnny and Sarah. But in the light cast by the gas lamps the street was empty save a cat perched on a wall washing its delicate paw. I felt my heart speed up rapidly as I cautiously began walking again, casting nervous glances around me, particularly into the shadows the street lamps failed to banish.

I had absolutely no idea where I was and I certainly didn't know my way home; Sarah and I had always let Johnny lead us, so I never took note of buildings and street names I could use as markers. "Johnny? Sarah?" I called out, my voice timid in the darkness. "Come on this isn't funny."

The street remained silent. I tried to think about the path I'd taken to get to the pub and decided to turn left since it looked familiar. Oh god, what was I kidding myself? I was lost; royally lost. As I walked I wondered whether Johnny and Sarah were looking for me, or if they even knew I wasn't with them now. And I felt a tear in my eye because I was scared. "Stupid Johnny with his stupid stories," I mumbled, turning into an alleyway that ran along behind a row of houses.

Suddenly dogs began to bark madly somewhere up ahead of me and was also joined with a scuffling noise, like some people were fighting one another. The dogs sounded angry as the scuffling ceased, but I slowed my pace up all the same, glancing round. The scuffling started up again and the barking only got louder. And then I heard whimpering.

"H- hello?" I called out and everything became silent. Horribly and eerily silent. I gulped, my ear listening for the whimpering. "Hello? Are you okay?"

There was nothing but then suddenly the angry barking started up once more. I hurried on, curious to find out what was happening, becoming aware of a second set of footsteps clicking on the stone. I stopped and looked back but the alley was just filled with silent darkness and I couldn't even see the street I had been on anymore.

I gulped and started walking towards the barking when suddenly a pair of arms grabbed around my waist and began dragging me backwards. I went to scream but a hand clamped itself over my mouth, preventing any noise from being let loose for the world to hear. I began kicking and lashing out to be put down when I felt who ever it was put their lips close to my ear.

"It's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you," he whispered into my ear, his breath warm and calming as it blew over my neck. His accent sounded like Johnny's too so I knew he wasn't from around here. Hearing the angry barking getting louder, as if it were approaching us at speed I just let him carry me wherever I was being carried to, and closed my eyes not wanting to see anymore of wherever I was, hoping it was a dream and I'd wake up on a seat in the pub.

And then my feet were on the floor and the arms were gone. Cautiously I peeked one eye open and stood staring in shock. I was outside of my house and it was light, the sun as it started to ascend into the sky. I stared wide eyed up at the stone building as Johnny came running out of the front door; before he got to me though I turned and looked for the man who had carried me.

I stood turning in the middle of the street, looking left, right then left again but it was interrupted when Johnny grabbed me up in his arms, followed closely by Sarah who was sobbing.

"Where the hell did you go?" Johnny asked, holding me tightly, one hand on the back of my head and the other the small of my back as I stared around the street looking for him but seeing nothing but the neighbours. And then, I saw something dark flash out of sight and down an alleyway, almost like a shadow but it was too quick for me to be sure.

I pushed myself away from Johnny and hurried to the alley but when I reached it there was nothing. Johnny and Sarah joined me before leading me back. "Kirsty where did you go we've been worried sick," Sarah repeated, hugging me tightly.

"I-"

"There was another murder last night, not long after we left the pub and we thought-" Johnny started up interrupting me. I switched my gaze to him, waiting for him to tell me who, if he knew, it was. Johnny gulped, a saddened looked flashing across his face. "It was Annie. Her, her body was found in the back of yard of one of the houses in Spitalfields."

And then something flashed across my memory. A street sign I had passed as I entered into the alleyway where the dogs were barking. "Hanbury Street." I murmured and both Johnny and Sarah stared at me in shock. I stepped back from Sarah, holding a hand to my mouth as tears met my eyes and began tracing their way down my cheeks. "I think I'm going to be sick."
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally posted on Quizilla:
26th July 2007

Any guesses guys? Anybody done any homework?
Sarah and I give out cookies as rewards :D