On Thin Lines

Decision

I heard muffled voices, "I just want to talk to her before anyone comes." It was a female voice and I saw the doctor come in with someone behind him.

"Can you handle visitors?" The doctor asked as he approached me and I nodded while sitting up. The woman came towards me and grabbed a chair. She sat down beside the bed and looked at me.

"How are you feeling?" she asked as she smiled.

"Uh, I'm okay. Do I know you, like personally because I saw you yesterday?" I said as I looked at the sad expression that had formed on her face.

She nodded, "Yes, you do. I am Susan, your close friend and I work for your dad and you occasionally." She laughed which made me smile.

I already liked her. "So, can you please explain what went on yesterday because I am beyond confused? The only thing I could get out of the situation was the fact that I am married to that guy who my parents obviously don't like for reasons unknown to me. Did we like get married behind my parent's back in Vegas or something." I asked while laughing.

She laughed also but stopped and her facial expression changed. "Diane, I came here to tell you something and before anyone comes here especially Ryan."

I had a confused expression on my face, "Uh, okay. Go ahead."

"You see, you and Ryan were already having problems with your marriage." She stopped when she saw the confused expression on my face. "Let's say, he didn't like the fact that you were a workaholic. You barely had time for him but that's no excuse for what he did to you."

"What did he do?" That came out in a rush.

"He cheated on you." My eyes widened. "And when you found out, you tried to commit suicide but didn't succeed." She looked up at me and I saw tears forming in her eyes, "Why would you want to kill yourself, Diane?"

I rested my head on the headboard, "Does he regret it?" I asked slowly.

She nodded, "More than you could imagine but you know your dad..." She tried to laugh but it didn't work.

I shook my head slowly, "No, I don't actually know him." Now, it hit me that this amnesia could be permanent. "What am I going to do, Susan?"

There was a knock on the door and in came in Ryan with a bunch of flowers. He looked at Susan for a brief second and walked towards me smiling. "Hey baby." he cooed. He dropped the flowers on the table beside me and brushed my hair, "How's my baby doing, today?"

Why was he suddenly acting so nice if she cheated on me?

I stared up at him, "Why did you do it?" I whispered.

He stared at me for a couple of seconds, "Do what, love?"

"Cheat on me."

Susan cleared her throat and stood up, "I'll be outside if you need me." she said as she made her way out of the room.

Ryan ran a thumb across my hand, "Hey, I - I wasn't thinking but I swear to you, she means nothing to me. Nothing." he said.

"Is she prettier than me?" I don't know why I asked but it just came out. "Did you cheat because I worked too much?"

He sighed and looked down at his hands, "Can we not talk about this, please?" he begged.

I stared at him then looked away, "You know, it hurts that I can't remember anything. Because if I did, I'm sure I would hate you."

He immediately looked up at me and grabbed my hand, "Don't say that, you never hated me. You loved me and I loved you back." he said as he gave my hand a small squeeze.

"Then why did you cheat on me?"

It was silent for a while before he spoke up, "I was lonely, you never had time for me and I desperately needed you to see I wanted you."

I looked up at him. He looked very sincere and I suddenly felt bad, "I'm sorry."

He looked up at me, "Hey, don't be. I'm the one who's supposed to be sorry."

"If I had more time for you, this wouldn't have happened." I said as I looked into his eyes.

There was a knock on the door and when it opened, my parents and another male came in. "What is he doing here?" Ryan yelled.

My dad looked at him, "I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to see you here." I saw my mum hold him on the shoulder probably to calm him down.

"They're friends, aren't they?" My dad finally answered.

"You know that's not what I meant. Why is he suddenly showing up?" I looked at the man in question wondering why Ryan didn't like him.

My mum ignored the commotion going on around her and came towards me, "How is my baby doing today?" I nodded and smiled reassuring her I was okay making her smile in return. "That's my girl." I could tell from her smile that she wasn't fully happy but what can one expect. Her daughter fell from a building.

Come to think of it, I would have died.

"Who's he?" I asked my mum.

She turned to look at the boy and turned back to look at me, "He's name is Derek, an old friend of yours, or should I say childhood sweetheart. When he heard what happened to you, he had to see you."

Derek walked towards me, "Hey, how are you?"

"She doesn't know who you are, so please leave." I gave Ryan a look wondering why he was so mean.

I smiled at him, "I'm okay. Thanks for asking."

He nodded, "I've gotta go but I'll be back, my son needs me for show and tell." he laughed which made me laugh.

"You have a son?" I asked.

"Yes, I do, although you already know this but no worries. I'll come back later to check up on you, okay?"

"Don't count on it."

"Ryan!" I said as I glared at him.

Derek smiled, "It's okay." He stood up and made his way out of his room.

I looked at everyone in the room and smiled, "He seems nice."

Ryan groaned, "Don't say that."

"What's your problem, why don't you like him?" I semi yelled.

"Because...he just, I...I just don't like him, okay." Ryan said in hesitation.

"Diane, you're getting a divorce once you get out of here." My dad said suddenly, making Ryan quickly look up and glare at him.

"You can't do that." Ryan yelled.

"I think I can, you're the reason she's here in the first place." my dad retorted.

"I think I can decide that for myself, dad." I said which made everyone quiet.

"Diane, you have no idea what he's done. You almost died, I almost lost you." His voice suddenly changed to a lower one.

"I know and I'm sorry about that but I think I should be able to decide this." I said with all seriousness even though I had no idea what I was doing. I barely knew my husband.

"We should go." My mum told my dad. "We'll come back soon, okay?" I nodded and she kissed my forehead.

"Fine, this isn't over Gosling." My dad said as he glared at Ryan while leaving the room."

Ryan looked at me, "I love you." he said as he kissed my knuckles.

I smiled in return. I don't know if I do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a feeling this was a boring chaper.
I'm really sorry if it was.
Hmm, Derek, huh? Whaddaya think?

Please check out my stories = Law and Sex || Up Against the Wall || Before the Worst || Where the Heart Is || Edge of Desire || Brendon Smiles Those are basically my stories in progress. Read and comment! Thank you. :D

Have a lovely day and remember Don't let any fool ruin your day. :D