She Can't Do It Alone

A Look On The Past

"What all do we know about all this?" Hotch asked, keeping close to Ashley Tanner, as she sat in a chair in front of the rest of us. 

"We know that Ms. Tanner's cousin worked for them. She became their little sex toy in order for her to stay alive. And that they possibly kill people whom are related in some ways, or kill people that owe them." JJ stated as she pointed to victims on the flat screen. To no surprise; I was on that list. 

"But why would Cory's mother have had any run in with them? And did they have that she wanted. And why would she give up her only daughter?" Penelope Garcia's sweet voice asked after a moment of silence. She was on speaker phone as we all stood around, thinking and taking our way through the case. 

I looked up at Spencer Reid. The man I'd made love to just last night. He looked lost, confused. Thinking over the case, or thinking over how to keep me safe. I wasn't sure. 

The room suddenly went quiet to my ears. I looked around to see JJ's lips moving, yet no sound leaving them. Instead I heard giggling. Movement coming from behind me. I turned around slowly, scared whatever it was would harm me. 

Before I could turn around however, I heard it speak. "All alone you grew up to be this. I expected more from a small orphan; born even though nobody cares." It laughed and walked closer to me. A dark shadow, watching me. "I am surprised you have not yet discovered my presence."

"Wh-who are you?" I asked, shaking to the point I seemed violent. 

With another chuckle, he said, "You need not worry, orphan. I am merely here to guide you." And then it faded and the room filled with noises and voices once more. 

"Cory?" Spencer asked. I realized I was still turned to see the back wall and gulped. "Something wrong?"

I shook my head. I was just tired, that was all. Nothing more. So I saw things when I had no sleep, didn't everybody?

Spencer smiled at me then went back to talking about the case. I looked over at Ashley whom was watching Hotchner as he spoke something of my mother. I wasn't listening for the fact I still could hear other voices in my head.

Then the room went silent again. I could hear whispering, as if somebody were standing right at my ear. I could only make it a few words. "April" and "help."

I looked to my left and saw a girl standing before me. She smiled at me, a symbol on top of her forehead. "Hi," She muttered sweetly. I stayed quiet, watching her feet barely touch the ground. "I am April. You can hear me?" She asked, tilting her head slightly. 

"Yes," I whispered.

"Good. I must ask you.. I must tell you something. The BAU should know what exactly happened to me and what I over heard them say before my death." Her voice was like the ghosts off of TV. All windy, annoying, but clear as could be.

"I'll tell them. Continue." I smiled, letting her know she can trust me. 

"They mentioned your mother. Anne Alberta?" She asked. My mothers maiden name had been Rice, I guess she didn't know this. "They mentioned you as well, Cory. They said she promised them something. And that you killed two gang members. They are furious, Cory Vega. They want you dead. They know where you are, have been, and possibly may go. They watch you all day, every second. Out of view, and in costumes when in view. Cory Vega, you will die if the FBI doesn't hear this. They plan horrid things."

"They want--"

"To kill you. Your own mother set you up. She has known from the beginning. She stole from them, stole your father from them. They killed your father and now they want you dead as well. Your life for your mothers." She floated backwards. 

Something came to me as I sat there, already shocked my father was in any kind of gang. "The last guy that came here; he called me 'orphan.' What does this mean?" I asked. 

With a giggle, she floated towards me again. "You do not know, Cory Vega?" I shook my head. "That is for your mother to say, miss." And she floated back, disappearing out of view. 

I bit my bottom lip. I tried to let her words soak in, trying to make sense of it all. Garcia's voice filled the room. "You guys should talk to her mom. Maybe even April's mom. They are related."

"My father.." I muttered.

"What's that?" Prentiss asked. She leaned over to touch my knee.

"My dad was apart of the gang. That's why they picked me, they knew who I was."

Spencer sat down on the table and looked at me, squinting this eyes like he usually did. "How?"

"My mom took him from them. She made him see how wrong it was. So they killed dad, and went for mom. But instead she gave me over to them once I was old enough, and they were able to kill me." I explained.

"How do you know this?" Rossi asked, eyeing me suspiciously. 

I shrugged. "Just a guess."

"Baby girl, look up Anne Vega." Morgan said sweetly into the phone.

"Anne Alberta, actually." I spoke loud enough so Garcia could hear. 

"On it, sweet cheeks!" And the phone was cut off. 

Rossi and Hotch walked out of the room, leaving Ashley to look more uncomfortable than before.

"How were the victims murdered?" Pentiss asked, looking at the screen. April and another girl whom I didn't know showed up. Along with several other woman and two men. One my possible father, though I never knew what he looked like.

"Each stabbed Twice in the heart, and another stab wound slightly off. As if the killer struck before the heart, causing them to fall first. And a symbol was found on each victims head or hand. More commonly on their heads." JJ explained as Rossi and Hotchner walked back inside.

They looked awkward, but Hotch stood right beside Ashley. Rossi eyes him. I tilted my head up, looking at Spencer whom was watching the screen. "Have you noticed something?" He asked, walking over to it. "They are all connected. Even the old murders are in one way or another; connected."

"How?" Morgan asked. 

"Well," Reid pointed to the first girl. She wasn't very attractive, but she looked insanely a lot like the lady beside her. "They were sisters. Twins to be exact. This next one was a very close friend. Then continue on and it's the same pattern. Usually they would murder sisters, and then a cousin with a sister. If the cousin wasn't a choice, they'd settle with a close friend which happened often." 

"What about the males?" Pentiss asked.

"Ah, see.. The first male victim happened a short year ago. He was more than likely the..." Reid stopped himself from saying my father. I shrugged it off when he looked at me and told him to go on. "The gang member. The second male happened only a few nights ago when we found Miss Vega." He pointed over at me. 

"But they didn't exactly kill him." I pointed out.

"True but we believe that was their plan was to murder him." Reid spoke. 

I nodded and picked at my nails. Peeling them off and chewing on them. 

Ashley stood up, chewing her lip and looking down at the floor. "Can I please use the restroom?" 

Hotch pointed to me. "You, show her to the bathroom. Please." He added quickly. 

"Sure," I got up and made a hand motion for her to follow me. Once we walked out of the room she said,

"I didn't really have to go. I just couldn't sit anymore. I'm restless, scared, and they want me to just stay in one place?" She whispered as we walked beside each other to the front of the building. Most of the police men were either out on a job, or went home. They figured we wanted the place for ourselves, and we did. 

I giggled slightly. "You're new. See, we need your help. Your cousin worked with them, we need details!" We sat down on a very uncomfortable bench. 

She gave a small shrug and watched out of the window we sat beside. "I miss how life used to be. Before you grow up and realize everything will change." 

"I know. I hate growing up. I hate it when you have to suddenly work with the FBI." I shook my head. 

She giggled. "Well, not everybody gets to. I guess that's an exciting part." She looked over at me, suddenly very serious. "Are you and that Reid..." She let the sentence trail off.

"It's complicated." I sighed. "I'm not one hundred precent sure we're an actual couple."

"Can I let you in on a secret?" She muttered, pushing back her purple and brown hair. "A while ago, Hotch said he wanted to talk to me. But when he took me into that room, he said he felt something towards me. And before I knew it, he was holding me and....kissing me." 

"Oh really?" I tried to look surprised. 

Ashley nodded and chipped her nails again. "And then somebody came and hit the door. It scared us but we kept kissing."

A smirk spread across my face. "I knew he liked you."

"Shut up." Ashley blushed and bit her lip.