Status: I'm tryin' guys. Fo' sho'.

Hey Stranger, I Want You to Catch Me Like a Cold

Flying Solo

“Drake,” I said as we sat down in class.

“Yes?”

“Stop it. You being all pervy, then being all nice and gentlemanly is not endearing at all. Seriously, cut it out. I like you just the way you are.”

“You mean I love you just the way you are.”

I gave him a look, and he recanted.

“I’m done.”

“Thank you.”

Surprisingly, he stayed true to his word. He just went back the old Draco, the one we all know and love. (As a friend, of course.)

After much harassing from Professor Horny Slug (as I preferred to call him), I was going to the damn fancy thing much to my obvious disappointment. Well, obvious to everyone except that idiot. He was under the impression that I was delighted.

So Draco and I were heading down to Hogsmeade together to do Christmas shopping and to get our formal attire. (Gag meh, I beg of thee.)

“So Dracob, what are yah getting Blaisey-poo?”

“I don’t really believe that that is any of your business.”

“Oh, are you still mad about that thing?”

“That thing?” he asked darkly.

“You know, when I came into your dorm this lovely morning because I couldn’t sleep and read you that story.”

“You mean when you woke me up at 4:30 in the morning and kept me up by reading some homosexual erotic novel??”

Sheesh, he’s a little pissy one.

“Oh come on, it was a Romeo and Julio, a classic! I got it a few birthdays ago and never read it so I thought we could share the experience together.”

“At four-thirty in the morning?”

“In retrospect, that may have been a miscalculation on my part. You appear to be rather cranky.”

“I’m sure.”

I wrapped my arm around his. “So where to first, captain?”

“Honeydukes, I suppose.”

“Okay,” I agreed, and watched Draco walk around, picking up various sweets.

“Aren’t you getting anything?”

“Nope, my Christmas presents are already mostly bought.”

“But you always buy yourself candy to gorge yourself with when we come here,” he pointed out.

“Gorge is a strong word…”

“Stuff yourself, then. Why not now?”

“My body doesn’t need any candy. Gorging myself, as you call it, is making me less than desireable,” I mumbled.

Draco looked at me incredulously. “Who told you that?”

“No one, it’s just true.”

“Well someone had to say something to put that ridiculous idea into your head.”

I shrugged. “Lavender just mentioned about how my uniform was looking a little tight, and I might not fit into my dress. I told her, of course, that I would hit her so hard her swollen body might not fit through the door, but she did have a point.”

Draco scoffed. “That’s rubbish,” he grabbed some ice mice, my favorite candy, and headed towards the checkout.

“Dracob, I don’t need-”

“If you don’t shut your trap and eat the mice, I will personally shove them down your throat.”

“I feel like when you get married, you’ll end up beating your wife.”

He just rolled his eyes and headed out the door, with me in tow.

“So you already have your dress?”

“Mmhm, my mom sent it.”

“I see. So, er, who are you bringing?”

“No one yet,” I chuckled. “Harry’s going with Luna, and Hermione’s going with Cormac McClaggen to make Ron jealous.”

“I see.”

It was silent for a bit as we headed into various shoppes.

“Do you wanna go with me?” I asked him.

“I can’t.” he said shortly.

“Why not? I would think the dude in love with my could spare some time in his busy schedule of sulking and torturing underclassmen to-”

“It’s not like that anymore,” he cut in.

“What? You don’t spend 75% of your time sulking and scaring little kids and generally being unpleasant?”

“No, the other thing.”

Ohhhh.

“You don’t like me that anymore?”

He shook his head.

“Oh…well, good. That’s good. But why can’t we go as friends?”

“I really do have something to work on,” he said as he rifled through the jewelry, trying to find something for his mom.

“Well, what is it?” I demanded.

“It’s honestly better if you have no idea,” he sighed. The tone in his voice made me drop it.

“This is pretty,” I pointed to a silver necklace, “I think your mom would love it.”

“I agree.”

And that was that.

The days leading up to Christmas went quickly. Draco disappeared at times, but I didn’t question it. It was better that way.

I was kind of bothered, though. Now, I have absolutely NO romantical-type feelings for young mister Malfoy, but how could he just get over me so easily? It didn’t make any sense. Sigh. Not that I care, or anything. I’m just curious.

But that does leave me without a date. Sure, plenty of guys had asked me, but after I got through half of the thick British accents, a no was already coming out of my mouth. Also, a good few of them had bad teeth. Gross, what was up with that, anyway?

I guess I’m just flying solo.

The night of, Hermione and I were getting ready in our rooms. She was wearing a simple pink, but pretty, dress, with her hair all down and shiny. I finally took the dress my mom picked out out of the garment bag, and sighed.

Once again, shamelessly overdone.

I pinned half of my hair back, linked arms with Hermione, and headed down the steps.
♠ ♠ ♠
5/28/13