Status: I'm tryin' guys. Fo' sho'.

Hey Stranger, I Want You to Catch Me Like a Cold

First Day O' School

I woke up Monday morning feeling slightly nervous. After all, I was my first day at a new school.
New teachers, new classes, new peers. A good first impression was in order.

Hermione was already up and dressed, suprise, suprise. She gave me a smile and a cheery, "Good morning Silvie," before I headed for the shower. After I was done showering, I took a look at the uniform I was putting on. It was really not that flattering.

I sighed, a rolled my skirt up a bit. Not slutty, by not grandma either. I didn't really bother to tuck my shirt it, but I did tie my tie. I put my sweater in my bag. It was just too hot for that. After I put on my flats and grabbed my bag, Hermione and I linked arms and headed down the stairs. Ron and Harry were already down there.

"Helllo Ginger Friend. Hello the Boy Who Didn't die. Ready for school?"

They just chuckled and followed us out of the portrait hole. When we got to the Great Hall, I looked around. Proffesor (I feel like I'm in college or something) McGonagall was handing out schedules to a pretty full Gryffindor table.

I glanced over at the Slytherin one. Draco and friends were all looking at me, so I gave them a wave and a smile and sat down, pulling a piece of toast and a sausage in front of me.

"Is that all you're gonna eat?" Ron asked increduously.

"I'm not really a breakfast eater." I explained.

"But Silvie, you didn't eat any dinner." Hermione chided.

"Draco took me down to the kitchen and I had a marvelous dinner," I informed them.

They all looked suprised.

"Draco Malfoy?" Ron asked.

"There's another Draco in this school?"

"It's just, not like him." Harry said suspiciously. "You can't trust him. He's a Death Eater."

Ron rolled his eyes, but continued. "Yeah, be careful. He's probably up to something."

"It can't just be because I"m a likeable person or anything." I said sarcastically.

"We don't mean that, Silvie," Hermione said. "It's just that Draco is horrible and arrogant, not to mention unfriendly."

"Also, evil." Ron added.

"Thanks guys," I said. "But I'm gonna try to form my own opinions.

They just shrugged and ate, but Harry was still fuming.

When McGonagall came down the table with the schedules, Ron and Harry were outraged.

"We have all of our classes with the Slytherins!"

I looked at my schedule:

Potions-Prof. Slughorn
Charms-Prof. Flitwick
Free Period
Lunch
DADA- Prof. Snape
Transfiguration- Prof. McGonagall
Free Period


Ron, Harry, Hermione, and I all had classs together. Except Potions, which Harry and Ron weren't taking.

"I suppose we better be off," Hermione told me, and we bade the boys farewell.

Potions class was in the...wait for it... dungeons. I am not kidding. This place had dungeons.

"Hermione?" I asked while we were walking.

"Yes?"

"Don't you ever feel like this place is way too Medieval?"

"Nahh," she told me. "It's what gives Hogwarts it's charm."

"Right," mumbled to myself, but followed her into the classroom.

The potions room had multiple cauldrons sitting on tables with different potions inside. One, however, was giving off the most attractive scent I've ever smelt. It was like a woody closet, flowery detergent, and a manly, almost spicy smell I couldn't place.

It was intoxicating.

Suddenly Professor Slughorn appeared Malfoy, Blaise, and the other two Slytherins that entered and all of us sniffing backed up.

Slughorn began the class by asking questions and describing the respective potions. I quickly came to realize that if Hermione wasn't already my friend, I don't think I would like her much. She takes overachieving to a whole new level. Her hand literally shot into the air the second he asked every single question. The rest of the class seemed used to it, but Slughorn was getting excited.

He asked her name, she told him, he asked her if she was related to so and so, she said no, she's muggle born. Malfoy sniggered. I glared at him. He stopped, to the apparent suprise of his fellows.
Harry and Ron then barged in, Harry explaining their now joining class situation and getting books. Slughorn told us to make this potion, we got to work.

I was done first, so I looked around the room. Malfoy, who appeared to be trying very hard for the lucky prize, didn't appear to be doing so well. Ron's sucked too. Hermione's was probably slightly less good than mine. I could tell that Harry was going to win; his potion's colors were way more vivid than mine even though he was still working. He also appeared to be using the tips scrawled in the margins of his book. Sketchy sketchy.

After time was up, Slughorn went around, commenting on the potions. When he got to mine, he said it was lovely and prepared so quicky. I shrugged. He asked my name.

"Silvie Davenport."

"You're not related to Thomas Davenport, American ambassador to the Ministry of Magic and celebrated auror?"

"Well, I America we just call them the FBI. But yeah."

"FBI?"

"Federal Bureau of Investigation? FBI's most wanted? No? Not ringing a bell? Nevermind." I sighed. He just kept standing there smiling at me delightedly. "Don't you have some potions to be checking?" This guy was annoying.

He just chucked and moved on to my friends'. Of course he stopped at Harry and fawned over him. He was just that kind of teacher.

Harry won the Felix Felicis, Hermione was pissed, blah blah, and we went to Charms.

I liked Professor Flitwick. He was funny. He was the first one there to ask me about my classes back home.

"Well, we had this class, called wandwork, and it was like Transfiguration and Charms combined. And then Magical Defense. They were required. Magic Animals, Magic Plants, Arithmancy, and Divination were electives. And then we had your basic History, and Science-Ordered Magic, and there were other math and engish courses."

Flitwick was impressed, along with my friends, and Draco, who was listening in.

After Charms was my free period, Hermione's Arithmancy, and Harry and Ron's free period/power nap.

"Are you sure you'll be okay on your own, Silvie?" Harry asked for the third time after Hermione left.

"Yes mate. Now, go nap."

They left. I had taken a liking to the British work mate. It was..quaint. Yes, quaint.

As I was walking down a random hallway, I ran into Blaise.

"Hello Blaiserooni! What are you doing strutting the halls on this fine day?"

He chucked. "Just looking for Draco."

"And not Greg and Vince?"

"Where Malfoy is, Crabbe and Goyle will be."

"Ahh," I said, "I shall help you!"

And we walked and talked. About me, about him. His mom.

"I wish I could have my rich husbands die and leave me tons of mula," I told him.

"No, you don't. Don't you want love?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

We talked and laughed some more, using up the rest of the free period.

"I guess we can just go to lunch now." He shrugged.

"Okey dokey," and we proceeded.

When we got there I bade him goodbye and sat down, looking at the food. Yes! FIsh and chips! One thing I can actually eat! I dug in, and the trio soon arrived as well.

"How was your nap?"

"Great." yawned Ron.

"Arithmancy, Hermione?"

"Oh, it was fascinating as usual."

"Good to hear."

"What did you do, Silvie?"

"I just walked around with Blaise the whole time. You know how it goes."

"You and Blasie?" Hermione raised her eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh Hermione, you and your silly imagination. There is absolutely no romantic love going on between be and Zabini."

"Good." mumbled Harry.

We all looked at him.

"What? I just don't think she should be going out with those Slytherins."

"Riiiiiiight."

The rest of the day consisted of Defense Against the Dark Arts with a blahhy Professor Snape and Transfiguration with a cool McGonagall. So all in all, it was okay.

Walking around during my free period, I decided to go sit by that lake Draco showed me. It was one of those sunny days that's not too hot but makes you want to lay down with your face up and take a sun bath. Which is what I did. For a while, at least.

"Davenport, what in God's name are you doing?"

"My name is Silvie, and I'm laying in the sun. What does it look like I'm doing?"

Silence. Then I heard him sit down next to me.

"Would you like anything in particular?"

"No. Well, you could-"

"Draco! Stop being a pervert!"

"I wasn't going to suggest that!" he exclaimed sheepishly.

"Mmhmm."

"Not like I would do anything with a bloodtraitor anyway." he mumbled.

I sat up fast and hit him. "What the hell is your problem? If you're that fucking predjudiced then why are you next to me everytime I turn around?"

"Well, I er..."

"Draco," I said. "You're trying to convince yourself that you're a predjudiced asshole but then go go around like we're cool or something. Listen, we can be friends. It's okay. Voldemort's not gonna cut you or something. Besides, all of your friends like me. Well, except for Pansy. But she doesn't really count."

He looked down.

"Friends?"

"Err, friends."

"Yay! What say you we go swimming?"

"In the Black Lake?"

"No, that tree over there," I said sarcastically.

He gave me a look. "We can't swim in the Black Lake. It's too cold."

"Well fine, Negative Nancy. What friend activity shall we do?"

"How about dinner?"

"Aww Drake, you're asking me to dinner?"

"No, I'm saying that it's dinner time."

"Oh. Can I sit with you guys?"

"Are you sure Potter," he spat, "Won't mind?"

"Potter," I tried spitting like him, "will get over it." I laughed. "Why do you hate him anyway?"

"Long story. With lots of chapters."

"Ahh."

When we got to the Great Hall for dinner, I skipped off to the Slytherin table. "Salve, kiddos."

"Beautiful, and a Latin scholar? My, my, Silvany, what can't you do?"

"Speak Spanish." I noticed Harry looking over here, so I waved. He looked disgruntled. Oh well.

"Hey, Greg, Vince." I said. "Let's have an eating contest. You guys in?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

I got third place, with Vince first and Greg second.

"Ugh," I moaned. "it feels like after lunch at Thanksgiving."

"What's Thanksgiving?" Blaise asked, amused.

I was too bloated to start exclaiming like I normally would.

"At this rate we'll have to roll you to Gryffindor tower." Draco observed.

"Nahh," I said standing up. I should be good. I just need to get up there and sl- sl," I yawned, "Sleep. Like, right now. Night guys!"

"Night Silvie!"

And so ended my first day of Hogwarts.
♠ ♠ ♠
5/28/13