The Silver Remedy

Running naked through the woods

“Ma’am?” A man was bent down over me and had a uniform on. It’s a puke tan color that was only familiar on county police officers. “Ma’am are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” I shielded my bare torso as he raised an eyebrow. The morning light was shaded by the woods. There was dew on the rocks and ground around me.

“Here,” He handed me his dark brown jacket to cover myself with. His eyes were glued to my back as I slid it on. I knew he was staring at the tattoo on my upper back, “Stand up.”

I did with a few twigs cracking underfoot and he started writing in a little notebook, “I’m sorry officer. I was just taking a late night walk and stopped by the creek to sit. I must have fallen asleep.”

“Must have,” He said nodded and smirked, “I need your name please.”

“Mara Porter.”

“Thank you. I’m going to have you walk heel to toe please.”

“You think I’m drunk?”

He shrugged and looked me in the eyes. We froze for a moment. His body turned slightly and I felt myself crouch a bit. It felt like ages before anyone spoke. The hairs on my neck were raised. He broke eye contact first.

“It’s standard procedure. I promise.” He said barely above a whisper. I nodded and did so. “That’ll be all.”

He never used his walkie talkie to call anything in. I listened to his heart beating faster and faster as we walked the long driveway down and through the nature trail, then to the parking lot. The cop car and my car were the only ones there. I pulled on my clothing and returned the jacket. He cleared his throat and I could feel his eyes on my back again.

“Look,” he whispered and glanced around.

“No one’s listening, but me.” I said sliding on my shirt.

“That’s private property, so it’s illegal to be on.”

“I bet,” I nodded and glanced at the stitched name on the jacket I was previously wearing, “Officer McCall.”

“And it’s, and it’s dangerous! Ok?” He was getting a little more intense.

“Yes sir.” We caught eyes again and it was silent for a few more moments until he sighed.

Going our separate ways he sat down in his cop car and he continued to watch me as I pulled out of the parking lot. I sped home without seeing another officer, got ready, and read the files over.

“I didn’t hear you come in last night.” My dad yawned and started coffee.

“It was late.” I mumbled and pulled up a calendar on my phone.

“Any breaks my little detective?”

“I’m not a detective, Dad....and maybe.” I flipped through.

There were some groupings here and there, but most of them were around only one part of the month....

“I gotta go!” I shoved the chair out from under me and began to run out the door.

“Ok! I’ll see ya later.” My dad chuckled and grabbed a mug. I scurried back in, kissed his cheek and made for the hospital.

There was no way.
♠ ♠ ♠
So after a year of not updating...I was looking through and it has 2 recs, 7 subs, and like 90 readers! Crazy! So I thought I shouldn't give up on it....