Good to See You Again

I Wouldn't Have Had It Any Other Way

I had nearly forgotten about you as I thought you had forgotten about me. Yet, there you were with your friends on my living room couch. There wasn't any malice. There never was. You were just a friend. A distant friend, yes, and one separated by generations and universes at that. You and I? I would call us the star-crossed friends. I would whisper to the wind, "Hello" hoping it would pass it on to you. Sometime later, I would hear your voice. Though, it could have been a coincidence as well. You were quite the popular one in your days.

You greeted me with a smile, as did your companions, and patted the seat next to you. My family was there as well. You were all watching an old black and white movie but seemed to be waiting for me. I took up the invitation and sat next to you. My mother sat on my left and you on my right. Everyone just seemed comfortable with each other. Yet, how could it be? Our two worlds, my family and your friends, had never met before. Nevertheless, it was like we always knew each other; as if we had always lived with each other.

Halfway through the film, everyone seemed to be sleeping. I was becoming drowsy as well. I almost leaned into you but I didn't. I wasn't sure how you would react. But you, being the warm person you always seemed to be, didn't mind at all once I did lean my head on your shoulder out of pure exhaustion from the day. In fact, you seemed to be just fine with it.

I woke up only one time and that was because the movie was still playing. White light had flashed against the wall behind us from the television and soft music from the 1950s played like a lullaby. You and I were the only ones awake at this point. I had one eye opened and looked at myself, practically in your arms. Our chests moved together. We were breathing together.

It wasn't even romantic. It was just two people, two good friends, sitting together while their family slept around them. I think you knew I started to wake up because you had put your arm around my shoulder and gave it a light squeeze.

Strange? Well, of course it was. I had never met you before. Our worlds were parallel. It was a miracle that you even somehow materialized in my house. I had only seen you in pictures. Yet, it was still nice. It wasn't anything more than it needed to be. I fell asleep knowing that you were still around in at least some form. And for that, I was grateful.