Status: active

Confusion

Chapter 4

Matt

Two more hours, just two more hours and this shit filled day would be over.

Today was on the verge of seriously sucking. I had lived here for eight years of my life and all of my friends from then either didn’t remember me or were so fucking annoying that I wanted to kill myself for making my presence known to them. My life was seriously fucked.

I sighed in frustration and slammed my head down on my desk, not giving a shit what anyone thought about me. Beside me, I heard a female voice ask if the seat in front of me was taken. I just shrugged.

“Whatever,” I heard her say. She placed her bag down on the floor and sat down.

Hoping that my rudeness would be enough to keep her from talking to me, I felt myself slowly drift toward sleep. When I was in that weird state between sleep and consciousness, I felt something tap my head. I looked up and found myself staring into two bright blue eyes. Not really being in the mood to be messed with I glared at her. The girl’s expressionless face turned into a slight scowl.

“Just thought I’d wake you since class is about to start. I usually don’t give a damn about when and where people nap but it seemed like you were in a pretty shitty mood and I didn’t think you’d want to deal with this teacher’s shit too. Excuse me for trying to help you out,” she said, turning around to face the front of the classroom.

Damn. “Sorry,” I said. “And thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” she said turning her head and giving me a small smile. “Now, isn’t it much better to friendly to the people around you? Especially on your first day?” she asked me, turning to face me again.

“How’d you know that this was my first day?” I asked her, my eyebrows knittingtogether in confusion.

“I may not know everyone here by name but I at least know the faces. I don’t remember ever seeing you, though,” she said.

“Well, I guess you’ve seen me now,” I said sitting up.

“Yeah. Guess I have,” she said giving that same small smile.

At that moment, class started and she told to turn around. Rolling her eyes, she did as she was told.

“I’m Matt, by the way,” I whispered to her.

“Scarlett,” she whispered back.

“Jesus, this guy is a dick,” I said referencing the teacher who was flat out insulting his students because they didn’t understand what the Hell the questions in their books meant about the passage they were supposed to have read for homework.

Scarlett scoffed. “You don’t even know. Just wait until my friend, Brian, walks in and you’ll see how much of a dick he can be.”

Right on cue, the door opened revealing who I was going to guess was Brian.

“You’re five minutes late, Mr. Haner. What do you have to say for yourself?” the teacher asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

He just shook his head and shrugged. “Nothing,” he answered. The boy looked around the room until he found Scarlett and began to make his way over to where she sat.

“Not even a sad excuse like you were in the bathroom or you were talking to a teacher but never received a note from said teacher?” asked the teacher, glaring at him.

“In all honesty I just didn’t want to come to this class. The only reason that I’m even here I’m here now is because I received a special escort from the principal,” Brian said sitting at the desk next to mine.

In front of me, I heard Scarlett snort.

“Well, you can report to detention after school today,” the teacher said, turning his attention back to the rest of the class.

“Can’t wait,” he said, rolling his eyes.

The teacher told us that since none of us had been responsible enough to do the homework, he was going to have everyone split into groups of three and finish the questions as well as tonight’s homework by the end of the hour. Okay. Today officially sucked.

Scarlett turned around and said, “Brian! You can work with me and Matt.”

“That’s cool,” he said. Brian scooted his desk closer to mine and Scarlett turned hers so that she was facing me.

“So, where is it that you just moved here from, Matt?” Scarlett asked, getting her book out her bag.

“My Dad, my step mom, my sister, and I just moved here from South Carolina,” I told them.

“Wow. That’s a pretty big move,” Brian said.

“Yeah, I guess. It’s not there was anything out there to do so I was pretty excited that we were moving back here,” I said to him.

“You have a sister?” Scarlett asked me.

I nodded.

“Does she go here? What’s her name?” she asked me, excited.

“Um, yeah, she goes here too. Her name is Lyndsey,” I answered. “Have you met her?”

“Yeah, I have. She’s an interesting character,” she said, smiling. “She’s the girl from lunch who told Korey’s sister, Tyler, off.” She laughed at the memory.

“That’s your sister?” Brian asked.

“Yeah,” I said.

“Dude, she’s hot,” Brian said, earning his a slap from Scarlett and a shudder from me.

“Okay, she’s my sister. You can’t say shit like that about her to me, it’s just not right,” I told him.

“I’ll remember that.”

After that, we talked about anything that came to mind and never even once considered doing our work which didn’t really get my in my new teacher’s good books, if he had any. Before we knew it, the bell rang, ending class.

“Hey! A few of us are going out tonight, you should come,” Scarlett invited me.

A felt a huge shit eating grin spread across my face. “Yeah, sure,” I said. “Were at?” I asked.

“Just meet us at the Starbucks down the street and we’ll take you there,” she said.

“Alright,” I answered her, smiling.

“Oh, and Matt?” Brian asked as I started to walk down the hall to my next class.

“Yeah?” I said turning around.

Brian smirked. “Bring your sister,” was all he said.

I rolled my eyes and began walking down the hall again until I noticed that I didn’t know what time I had to meet them. “Wait! What time?” I asked.

“Six,” Scarlett answered.

“Six,” I repeated.