Marriage in Ikebukuro

Chapter One Hundred Twenty-Five

One of the nurse tried to grab my hands and pull it away from the wall, but I angrily snatched it away from her grasp. I didn't want to be touched, especially by nurses and doctors. I stopped punching the wall for I created a huge hole. My body slumped back down on the bed. I stared at my lap, still balling my eyes out.

"Miss Tsukiko, may I speak with you?" The doctor asked me.

I nodded my head, still not looking up at him.

"You suffered a mild heart attack. From reading your information, it looks like you blood pressure is dangerously high. I believe your mild heart attack was triggered by stress and anxiety, possibly even adrenaline. We're gonna have to give you some medication to drop your blood pressure and calm your anxiety. Your information also tells me, you were pregnant, I assume that is correct?"

I nodded my head, biting my bottom deeply.

"Bad news for your child though. He didn't make it. The heart attack you suffered from, even though it was mild, blocked oxygen and blood flow to the baby's head. We tried to save him, but it was beyond our reach. He was already dead, when you got to the hospital. We were able to get him out of your stomach, but it wasn't much of him. I'm afraid you won't be able to see your child. I am truly and deeply sorry about your loss. We're going to have to run more tests on you, so you will have to stay in this hospital for a few weeks."

I nodded my head.

The doctor bowed and quietly left the room. He stood outside my door, explaining everything he had just told me to my friends.

I lied my head back on the pillow and stared at the ceiling.