Second City.

mr. and mrs. carcillo.

Out of all the floorboards in the entire condo, Bristol had to step on the one that squeaked. She froze, waiting for the hall light to flip on and a dark, tired shadow to trace the floor. When it didn’t happen, she took a deep breath and continued her trek. Pushing the door open only an inch at a time, Bristol took her shoes off and set them down the corner of the dark bedroom. She saw a lifeless lump lying on the left side of the bed. He was home and asleep; hopefully asleep. Slipping the cover back and climbing into the bed, Bristol set her head on the feather pillow.

“Where’d you go?” Dan asked. She repeated profanities over and over in her head as she thought of a quick lie. There wasn’t much for her to lie about, nothing had happened between she and Danny other than having a coffee and a slice of pie at a small diner down the street from his hotel. After his request for one last night of sex, she had gotten off the bed and left the room in a huff. Out of all people, Bristol had expected Danny Briere to be the man to respect the relationship she had with his friend and former teammate. Soon after, he realized his mistake and ran after a disgruntled Bristol. Offering a pregnant woman pie was the way to her forgiving heart.

“I met up with an old friend for dessert.” She was being honest to a point, he was a friend. “What did you boys do?”

The hesitation told her they were most likely up to no good. She had given him honesty and she expected it back. She wasn’t stupid; Bristol knew his brother’s had taken him to Bombshell. Rolling over and draping an arm around Bristol, Dan kissed her temple. “Hit the bars and whatnot. The flight’s early tomorrow so we didn’t as much as we usually do.”

“So you refrained from drinking every bar you stepped into dry?”

“Pretty much. And, I behaved; accepted no offer of a lap dance.” He said a matter-of-factly.

Bristol rolled onto her back and pushed damp hair off Dan’s forehead. He had showered. “What a gentleman.”

They remained silent for a second, listening as the sirens of emergency vehicles passing by on the street below. Dan admitted, “It was weird though, watching those girls dance on the stage; grinding up on all the scum businessmen. I couldn’t stop thinking, ‘what if that were my daughter’ and I kept thinking about Elena and how I would just die if I found out she was dancing and entertaining men…like me.”

It was one the few times Bristol had ever seen true emotion from Dan. He wasn’t the man who displayed what he was feeling. A slight tickle was sent through her body as he slipped a hand under shirt and placed it on the bump in her belly. Turning her head over she looked him in the eye. “It just means you’re growing up. I hate to burst your bubble Peter Pan but you can’t be a kid forever. You’re almost thi—“

“Don’t you even think about saying the T-word. I still have a good four years left.”

Bristol shoved her young age back at her fiancé. “I still have six years.” Patting his bare chest, Bristol let a smile slip for the first time that day. It amazed her at how easy it was for her let go of all her troubles and enjoy the time being with the man she’d take a bullet for. “We’ve got to get some sleep. Our flight leaves in six hours.” Out of all possible nights, maybe this one shouldn’t have the one they decided to stay out until two in the morning.

•••

Hawaii was just as beautiful in reality as the pictures Bristol had seen. When the clan arrived at the hotel their first plan of action was to unpack and meet at the pool as soon as possible. Dan and Bristol had separate rooms for the night—tomorrow night they would be sleeping in the same bed as husband and wife, no longer just boyfriend and girlfriend.

Dan held Elena’s hand in his right and Bristol’s in his left. Unfortunately they had all been split up and put on separate floors. Bristol her family was one floor above Dan’s. Jonathan and Kris were sharing a room somewhere on the very top floor with a clear view of the beach and the girls in their skimpy bikini’s. While Jon and Kris disappeared to the bar, Dan and Bristol walked behind her parents. He escorted her to her room.

“They look so cute,” Bristol pointed out to Dan. “They’ve been married forever and they still hold hands.”

Mary turned around after hearing her daughters comment. “He holds my hand because he’s afraid I’m gonna hit him.”

Dan tried to hold in his laughter, knowing the statement was true. After a fight, Dan always had to keep a close eye on a fusing Bristol. He turned the corner in fear not knowing exactly when she would tackle him to the ground. Adrienne and Mike’s room was next to Bristol’s.

“Have fun sleeping in the room beside theirs.” Dan laughed as Bristol opened the door. It took her one attempt to get the green light whereas Mike struggled a foot to their right. They could hear the f-bombs flying from his mouth as he rejected Adrienne’s help. He was the male and surely capable of unlocking a hotel door.

Shaking her head and rolling her eyes, Bristol was pleased to find her bags had already been brought up to the room. The butterflies in her stomach spread their wings wide and fluttered in full force as she held the door open with her hip. Elena had been since taken off Dan’s hand, leaving them the only two in the hall. Still he found it necessary to check over his shoulder before pulling Bristol in close. It was the closet they had come to any sort of alone since seven AM.

“I’ve been waiting all day to do this.” Pressing his warm lips to hers, Bristol took in a sharp breath as her back arched. His hand pressed firmly in the center of her back as Dan deepened the kiss. The taste of peppermint gloss and the sweetness from gummy bears was dominated to Dan’s tongue.

When they pulled away—due to the lack of oxygen intake—Bristol placed her forehead against Dan’s, feeling her eyes fluttering close. Her heart was skipping beats. In her true fashion, Bristol ruined one of the most romantic moments they had ever shared as a couple. “It’s kind of weird kissing you while you have your teeth in.”

“You are a keeper.” Dan joked. Patting her ass lightly he pushed her into her room after a quick kiss to the cheek. “Go put your suit on and we’ll meet by the pool in ten.”

Closing the door behind her, Bristol sluggishly walked into the room as she pushed her hair back and out of her face. All the drapes had been pushed open; sunlight flooded the pastel decorated suite. There was a small bouquet of rich, red roses waiting for her on the small table in the kitchenette. Her name was written on a small pink envelope in feminine writing. Picking the card out, Bristol picked up the vase and inhaled the sweet smell. Fresh flowers were a weakness of hers—besides red wine and hot bubble baths. Bristol read the cards text aloud:

“Beautiful flowers for my beautiful girl. Love always and forever, Daniel.”

Bristol could feel the pressure of joyful tears pounding on the back of her eyes. It had been a while since he had surprised her with flowers; in fact, she realized, it was the second time. The first coming from the night she moved back into their townhome in Philly. Moving the dozen roses over to the nightstand beside the queen-sized bed, Bristol tossed her over packed suitcase on the bed. There had to be clothes stuffed in there for at least two weeks. They would only be on the island for five. Training camp was just around the corner—ten days to be exact.

Slipping into her light blue, one-piece suit, Bristol wrapped herself in her cover up and searched around the room for a small pad of paper and a pen. She found it in the drawer of the side table where the phone sat. With her hat in hand and a small bag over her shoulder, Bristol headed down to the pool. She was the last one to arrive; Adrienne had saved her a lounge chair next to her. Mike, Dan and his brothers horsed around in the pool while both their parents sat at the bar beneath a large canopy enjoying each other’s company. Jon and Kris were nowhere in sight. One guess said they had hit the beach, gearing up to impress some girls with their beach volleyball ‘skills’.

“What do’ya got there?” Adrienne asked, sucking a pina colada through a straw.

“I have yet to write my vows.” It was Bristol who had chosen to write their own. She had been in attendance of way too many weddings; she wanted to shake things up.

“Bristol,” Adrienne lowered her voice when she realized how loud it had become. “You’re getting married in twenty-nine hours and you haven’t written anything?”

In her mind she found it somewhat funny. For weeks she had been all over Dan about writing his and here she was, rushing. She had intended to get them done on the flight in but fatigue had dragged her down into a deep sleep. For the first time in a long time, true words of emotion and love had a hard time flowing through the tip of the pen. If she had a little alcohol to loosen up maybe the task would become easier.

Tapping the cap of the pen against the pad, Bristol looked out into the pool. A chuckled escaped her lips at the sight. Dan was on the shoulders of his older brother as he chicken fought Mike on his younger brother. Elena clung to her mother as they dipped in to a shallower part of the pool.

“Where’s Adam and Matt?” Bristol asked.

Adrienne looked up from her book, pushing her shades up the bridge of her nose. “At the beach with Jon and Kris. They said something about tequila volleyball.”

Bristol grew jealous; she wanted to play tequila volleyball. Rubbing her belly, Bristol bent her legs setting the pad on her sun-kissed thighs. Writing her vows, she realized, was a task easier said than done.

•••

“Today’s the big day,” Bristol crooned as she sprayed down the up do she had molded into her sisters head not even ten minutes ago. The spray stung her nostrils making her feel as if she had to sneeze. “Are you going to be okay?”

She fanned herself with a freshly manicured hand; the French tips shorts and shaped to a square. “I suppose I’ll be fine. Nervous as hell, though.” Adrienne insisted as she looked at Bristol in the mirror. Her ass was still uncomfortably planted in the stool in the spacious bathroom of Bristol’s suite.

Bristol stood behind her, dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. They were still waiting for Jamie to bring Elena down so Bristol could curl and set the young girls hair. Bristol had treated all the girls to a lavish day at the spa—she even brought Mike with her for a massage. Elena pranced around all morning showing off her freshly painted toenails and the matching pink polish on her fingers.

When she finished spraying down Adrienne’s do, she added another layer of her own intricate style before setting the can down. “We’re going to die from inhaling these fumes before we even get down to the beach.” Waving her hand in front of her face, Bristol tried to rid the air of the sticky residue.

She still didn’t feel like a bride, per se, even as she leaned forward to the mirror and preciously lined her top lash-line with a thin coat of black eyeliner. When Adrienne had bobby-pinned her veil in place, the feeling of getting married still seemed surreal. At sound of a knock at the door, Bristol tossed down her black pencil and glided to the door.

“Sorry I’m late.” Jamie rushed in with Elena in tow. She tossed a garment bag over the bed as Bristol led the two girls into the heated bathroom. “Elena fell asleep after wrestling around with her father.”

“No worries.” Bristol assured her sister-in-law as she kicked Adrienne from the stool and lifted Elena up. She yawned and rubbed her eyes looking unenthused as Bristol reached for the curling iron and worked her magic. Seeing her sister go for the purple eyeshadow, Bristol pulled the pallet away. “Sorry, sweetheart. It’s champagne or nothing.”

They could hear the door fly open and Bristol didn’t look up as she continued working on Elena’s hair. She saw her mother’s reflection in the mirror. The usual curly raven hair smoothed straight. “Sorry. You’re brother thought he forgot his tie and—you look gorgeous.”

Stepping back, Bristol set the styling tool down and began spraying the hot curls. “Ma, I’m wearing old jeans and a flannel shirt.”

“I know, but look at you. You’re glowing!” She tucked a swell of blonde bang off Bristol’s forehead and behind her. “Are you nervous?”

She shook her head but her action contradicted her pounding heart. “Alright, honey.
Bristol helped Elena down and unplugged the iron from the outlet. “Go with mommy, to get dressed.”

The mother and daughters stayed silent for a short time. Mary glancing at her daughter occasionally, taking in her beauty. It had been a while since Bristol last played dress up. She wasn’t the girl who demanded the glitz and glam; jeans and tee’s were just fine. After last night’s surprise announcement that Bristol was expecting, Mary saw her daughter in a whole new light. She was grown-up, readying to take life on and experience all the joys and heartbreaks. More the joy than heartbreak.

The three girls glanced up for the umpteenth time as they heard the door slam and a head peeked through the bathroom door. Mike shielded his eyes, “Is everyone decent?”

“Michael Richards,” Adrienne hissed. “Get out of here.”

Dropping his hand, Mike smirked at his girlfriend. “Dan wants a moment with Bristol.”

“Tell him no fucking way.” When her mother shot a look in her direction, Adrienne placed a hand on her lips, apologizing for her choice of words. “It’s bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding.”

Bristol set the tube of mascara down on the counter and wiped away the smudged eyeliner. “I don’t believe in luck. Where is he?” Smoothing out her top, Bristol took a deep breath. Mike told her he was in his room and he offered to take her. She grabbed one of the many extra room keys to her room before saying goodbye to her mother and sister. Adrienne got to work on Jamie’s hair as Mary adored how cute Elena looked.

In the elevator, Bristol took a couple of soothing breaths, getting her pulse back to its resting rate. Leaning against the wall of the elevator, Bristol could hear Mike start to laugh at her. It was probably the first time he had ever seen an ounce of vulnerability in her. “Nervous?” He was still dressed in his own jeans and shirt, looking as if he had just gotten out of the shower.

The elevator stopped and Mike let her exit first. It was a question she knew she’d be answering a million times that day and she gave the same answer. “Nope.”

Mike grinned, stopping in front of a plain door with shiny, gold numbers. He winked, handed over a plastic key and urged her to go in before heading back upstairs to his room so he could finish getting dressed. Pushing the door open, she stuck her head in and saw Dan sitting slouched over in a chair. He looked perfectly calm and collected; the opposite from what she originally expected. Nor was he dressed in his tux yet either, sporting a Van Halen tee and a pair of old jeans.

“Hey, baby.”

She grinned closing the door behind her and closing the empty space between them. Plopping down into his lap, Dan wrapped his arms around her and placed butterfly kisses on her neck. Both had found it uncomfortable waking up alone in bed that morning. The feeling of feet and legs being tangled was hard to recreate using only sheets. Snuggling with a pillow, Bristol found, wasn’t the same as snuggling with Dan. “You’re marrying me today.” He said gleefully. Bristol was reduced to answering back with only a nod, not trustworthy of her vocal cords to answer with such a simple response.

Pulling away in order to look at him, Dan placed his hand on her neck and brushed his thumb along her jaw. Suddenly the seven months they had been together seemed like an eternity. They had gone through so much to get to the point where they were today. They had grown individually—not just as a couple—which seemed almost more important. “Do you think we’re crazy?” Bristol asked in a whisper. “Getting married after only seven months.”

“Of course we’re crazy. We’ll be crazy forever, but the important thing is we know exactly what we’re getting with one another. We love each other, and this is what people do when they find the person they realize they’ve been waiting for; they get married and start a family.”

His answer settled any uncertainty still lingering within. Dan watched her for a second, wondering what thoughts floated within that complex mind of hers. “Do you have any regrets?” She asked.

“Two.”

“Two, really?”

Licking his lips, Dan nodded and let his back fall against the chair. He placed his hands on her sides feeling as she shifted. “I regret spending that month away from you and not coming clean about my ex-girlfriend the first night we spent at the bar.”

He had the regret she had; Bristol should have never felt the house the night of their first blowout fight. But after finding out about his girls on the side it seemed to the best thing to do at the time. Unfortunately it only led to a month of confusing feelings between her and Danny and a past which may be hard for either of them to get over. Leaning forward, Bristol pressed a kiss to his lips indicating she had long since forgiven him for the dumb mistakes. She loved how his lips molded perfectly against his. “We’re getting married in like, an hour.”

A response had been formed and was ready to come out his month but it was cut short when Dan’s brother Steve popped his head into the room. “I hate to interrupt the love-fest but, Dan we need you.” He was dressed in a crisp white shirt and black pants. Bristol rolled her eyes as Steve trailed off and Dan gave his bride an apologetic look. “I’m not as stupid as I look,” she mumbled. “You’re headed off to do celebratory shots with all the guys.”

Steve smiled crookedly and eyed his brother. “It was Kris’ idea.” Throwing the blonde man under the bus seemed the best; Bristol would forgive him quicker than anyone else.

“Sure, blame him. He’s not here to defend himself. Maybe if you said you were headed out to do a round of karaoke, then I’d believe you.” Bristol pressed one last quick kiss to Daniel’s lips not one bit phased by their behavior. In fact, she wished she could join them. This was going to be the longest six months of her life. Winking at Steve, Bristol placed a hand on his shoulder. “Just make sure he can stand at the alter…that’s all I ask.”

“I love you, Bristol Marie!” She heard him yell out as she exited into the hall. Rounding the corner to catch the elevator, Bristol ran in to Kris and Jonathan as they walked out of the sliding door.

“Hey!” She was pulled into a hug by Jon then passed off to Kris. “I am glad to see the two of you right now.” Her best friend placed a light kiss to her cheek as he held her arms. He was amazed at her beauty just with her hair and makeup done; he couldn’t imagine her in the dress.

Already Kris looked teary-eyed. He had warned her before they left O’Hare airport this was one wedding he may not be able to keep a dry eye at. The happiness he felt for her was beyond measurable and he wished her own would last a very long time. Bristol fixed the knot in Kris’ tie and smoothed out his jacket. “The guys are off doing shots in Steve’s room, if you’re interested.”

“Why do you think we came down here?” Jon asked. “Do I look like the kind of guy who says no to the offer of free alcohol?”

Shaking her head, Bristol gave them one last hug before pressing the button to up to her room. Looking down at her watch as she waited, Bristol realized passing time was being the theme of the day. It was the one day she wanted to remember every detail about, and she had spent most of it running around and making sure everyone was getting ready on time. It startled her to find Geno and Giuliana exit their room fully dressed; presumably to check on their son.

“Oh, my beautiful girl.” Giuliana chirped pulling Bristol in for a hug. She hugged back just as tight feeling overjoyed for the hundredth time that day. She was really getting married; the reality of it all finally set in as the warm and comforting scent of Giuliana’s perfume invaded her nose. Bristol hugged her father-in-law next. “I know I’ve said this a million times but we are so happy you are marrying Daniel.” Giuliana dabbed her eyes with a tissue already as she reached out and smoothed a wrinkle out of Bristol’s shirt. “You make him so happy,”

“I promise I’ll take good care of him.” Bristol could feel her own round of tears for first time. She hadn’t expected to be crying already.

“They make such a perfect couple, don’t they, Geno?” The mother imagined her son standing next to his bride.

Geno nodded tenderly and placed a hand on his wife’s shoulder. “We should let Bristol finish getting ready so she can be in a dress when she walks down the aisle.”

After giving her in-laws a final goodbye, Bristol jumped into the elevator and nearly jogged down the hall to her room. Inside she found her father and brothers sitting on the sofa dressed in their suits. Adrienne was in her dress and finished the final touches on her makeup, making sure there were in fact no smears. The flowers had been delivered and were sitting on the table. Her bouquet was a collection of red and white roses, tied together with a black satin ribbon. Adrienne’s arrangement was all summer, colorful flowers. When she walked in to the room, everyone suddenly fell silent. They offered smiles quick before returning to the conversation they had previously been engaged in.

Slipping away, Bristol headed to the bedroom and unzipped the bag protecting her dress. She looked outside for a second taking in the sight of the sunset. Laying her dress out of the bed her sister caught a glimpse and quietly closed the door after she and her mother entered. Mary placed a hand on the small of her daughter’s back. “Are you ready to get dressed?”

“Yeah.” Bristol hesitated a minute before reaching for the button of her jeans. When her pants were off and tossed to the side, she worked on her shirt. Adrienne handed over her garter—which was blue—and Bristol slid it up her right thigh. As Mary held the dress open, Adrienne helped her step into it and Bristol held the material close to her chest as her mother tied up the corset back. She took a deep breath, staring at herself in the mirror and trying to remember the last time she ever felt as happy.

When she was finally dressed the three girls stood silent in front of the mirror. While the dress had been in her possession, Adrienne took it upon herself to have a horseshoe stitched in the inside of Bristol’s dress. It was an Irish tradition meant to bring good luck. Bristol dusted a little glitter on her chest and spritzed her favorite perfume to all her pressure points. At the sound of the knock on the door, Mary opened it and let her husband and three sons in.

Her father was left speechless at the utter beauty his daughter radiation. She smiled wider than ever as she secured a pair of diamond earring in her lobes. Bristol didn’t notice the small chain Sean removed from his pocket and hand over to Adrienne.

“We have something old, something new and blue, and I have your something borrowed.” Letting it chain fall, it dangled around Adrienne’s finger. Everyone in the Giordano family found it nearly impossible to keep a dry eye as Bristol cupped her hands over her mouth and choked back tears. Hanging on the white gold chain was the Claddagh ring Nick wore every day until the time of his death.

Hot tears stung her blushed cheeks as Mary wiped them away with her thumb. Adam, the oldest of them all, took the necklace from Adrienne and clasped it around Bristol’s neck as Matt massaged her shoulders“Nick would have wanted you to have it, especially on a day like today. We all wish he were here to see you Bristol.”

“Stop making me cry,” Bristol waved her hands in front of her face as she asked if her eye makeup was bleeding. Wrapping her fingers around the ring which matched the one she had worn, Bristol closed her eyes and took a soothing breath. She could see even Sal teared up upon witnessing the small breakdown his baby had.

Intruding on the family moment as they all gathered in for a hug, Kris popped his head in the door and cleared his throat. He said hello her family and complimented Bristol on her choice of dress. “How’s my fiancé?” She asked. “Able to stand on his own, I hope.”

“Oh, yeah.” Kris snorted. “He only had like, two shots…or five.” Bristol glared at him as Adrienne fixed the train of her dress. “I come up to tell you everyone’s headed downstairs.” He walked in for a moment and embraced her in a tight hug, kissing her cheeks. “You look amazing. Dan is going to flip when he sees you.” Kris playfully patted her ass, “Go get ‘em tiger.”

Hugging and kissing her mother and brothers goodbye, the four of them—including Kris—headed out of the room and down to the beachside patio where the ceremony was to be held. Not being able to choose between either brother, Dan decided to have Mike stand up as his best man and Bristol met up with him and the wedding coordinator in the lobby ten minutes later. Adrienne made sure the train of her dress was perfect, and her father refused to let of his daughter’s linked arm. “Everyone’s ready to go,” Mike informed, “are you?”

She could only nod in excitement as she clutched on to her flowers. Sal placed a kiss on Bristol’s temple before the four began following the coordinator to the spot where they were needed. The adrenaline pumping through her veins was in full force and her heart was pounding as they stood behind a set of elaborate and draped French doors. It was hard comprehend that on the other side, Dan was waiting to take her hand in marriage. For the first time she knew she was marrying the right person; not one ounce of guilt or doubt flooded her mind.

Adrienne turned around and pressed a kiss to her sister’s cheek. “I love you.” Her eyes became instantly glassy.

“You’re going to save me a dance later, right?” Mike asked.

Bristol smiled, her lips painted lusciously in red lipstick. “Only if you can pry me away from my husband.”

Mike smirked and turned around. The word husband sent chills up Bristol’s arms, reminding her Dan had more than likely taken his spot up on the alter by now. She wondered if he was nervous. The ceremony was to start at 6 o’clock sharp, and when the hands hit the time on the clock, Adrienne blew one last kiss as she and Mike headed down the aisle. With a tight grip on her father’s hand, Bristol smiled up at the man who had raised her the best that he could. “Are you ready?” Sal asked. She was confident as she nodded and they took the first step onto the silk, white runner.

A cool breeze hit Bristol as she was left in clear of Dan. He stood at the alter with his hand clasped in front of him and behind stood Mike. She couldn’t help but gasp; he looked gorgeous standing in his tux. It was hard to believe in less than thirty minutes he would legally and officially be hers. “Are you nervous now?” Sal laughed.

“I have never been so sure about anything in my life.”

Everyone stood from their seats and admired Bristol as she and Sal walked down the aisle. Her hands were no longer trembling as they neared the alter, making it possible for her to make out every line on Dan’s face. When they reached the end, his breath hitched at the same time as Bristol’s, mesmerized by the beauty before him. Sal kissed her cheek and took a seat beside his wife as Bristol handed off her bouquet to Adrienne. Bristol had promised herself she wasn’t going to cry, but she did feel her bottom lip begin to tremble as she Dan took her hand. His smile was complete, no missing teeth as he mouthed I love you. She could see a single tear glisten in the corner of Dan’s right eye as she wiped her own lids.

The pastor began the ceremony, which neither Dan nor Bristol were paying much attention to, all they could concentrate on was each other and not worry about anything but the moment before them. Neither could stop smiling as Dan stole glances every so often. Bristol tried her best to pay attention, treasure the sacred sacrament but it was a daunting task thanks to the distraction of Daniel. When it came time to read their vows, Bristol turned her back for a second and pulled the folded paper out of her cleavage. She could see Mike wink at her from over Dan’s shoulder and Kris just shook his head.

Unfolding it, Bristol could feel her voice begin to shake with tears as she began. “Daniel,” wiping moisture away from her cheeks, she smiled wide. “We’ve been through a lot these past few months and I’d be lying if I said I wanted someone other than you. You bring nothing but joy, beauty and chaos into my life and as I stand here today I can confidentially say you are the love of my life,” trailing off, Bristol wiped the fresh tears from her eyes.

“And as my other—better half, I promise to fight for you, protect you and love you with all that I am until I am unable to. I promise to ice your bruised knuckles and wash the blood out of your shirts.” The latter part of her vows earned a chuckle.

Dan winked at her, pulling his out of the deep pocket of his pants. He grabbed Bristol’s hand and stroked the skin lightly with the pad of his thumb. “Bristol, let me say that you are the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. You’ve given me a new meaning of life, you make me smile and you make each day worth getting up for.” He stopped for a second to wipe the tear from her cheek. “And although I’ll never be able to thank you enough for the things you do, I promise to cherish and love you, keep you safe and learn how to work the washing machine.”

It was hard for Bristol to resist from leaning in right then and kissing his lips. She planned to hold him up on that promise to work the washer; laundry was an evil task. After the vows, there was blessing and exchange of rings—Bristol could tell Dan was anxious for it to be over already.

“By the exchange of vows and rings, you have proclaimed and affirmed your intentions to enter this holy union. In recognition of above and as a minister of the gospel and in ordinance of the laws and statues of the State of Hawaii, I now pronounce you husband and wife.” Concluding, the pastor closed his book and gestured to Dan. “Daniel, you may kiss your bride.”

The couple turned toward one another, each smiling mad, as he cupped her face with his hands while their lips met for a simple kiss. They could hear a few cheers and sense camera flashes. When they pull away, they turn around to face their family and friends. “It is my great pleasure to introduce for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Carcillo.”

An explosion of cheers erupts as everyone stands to their feet to clap. Bristol looked over to Adrienne as she glowed with happiness and handed Bristol her bouquet. With their fingers now laced, Dan leaned in and asked Bristol, “Are you ready to take our first steps as man and wife?”

She could only smile and nod, overwhelmed with the excitement around her. When they cleared out of the patio and into the empty lobby, Dan turned to pick Bristol up and spin her around as they waited for everyone else. Lowing her just enough, he placed another kiss—this time much deeper—to her eager lips.