Unlikely Places

Betrayal.

Scarlet walked quickly down the busy street, she held the small, bumpy package in one of her hands, and the strap of her over-the-shoulder bag in the other.

She wore a long pair of black dress pants with a light blue collared shirt- the uniform she was required to wear for her job. Her long, brown hair was fastened out of her face in a high, messy ponytail and her bangs swept to the side in her bright, green eyes. Her eyes were decorated with light eyeshadow and mascara.

She worked at the Donut Factory, located two streets away from her house. It was a simple job, and one of the only jobs she could get in her small town. So, when she wasn't in school, she was working.

As she walked down the street, she saw a boy from her school. She tried to act casual and blend in, in hope that he wouldn't notice her.

"Hello Scarlet," He nodded at her as she swore under her breathe.

"Hey," She breathed, trying to make the point that she was in a hurry and needed to go.

"Where are you going?" He asked, glancing down at the package in her hands.

She shifted uncomfortably, knowing her cover could be in jeopardy. "Oh...you know...just delivering donuts to a neighbor. I've got to run, sorry!"

He gave her a curious glance, knowing the Donut Factory had never delivered, but proceeded on his way. She breathed a sigh of relief, and continued on her way.

She made it down a small alley, and walked up too steps to the tiny apartment. The street was dirty and dark. It was made up of run down apartments, owned by a old man who was too weak to check in on them. On each side of the street was two steps that led up to a door. There were about ten on each side placed twenty feet away from each other.

Scarlet lightly tapped the door three times, her secret signal to tell it was her. As soon as she knocked, a small girl quickly opened the door.

The girl was not much older than eight. She wore old and tattered clothes with a permanent scar on her left cheek.

She smiled up at Scarlet, handing her a twenty dollar bill. Scarlet quickly handed over the package, sending her a sympathetic smile back.

She visited the girl frequently. They shared a silent friendship, helping each other to survive.

Scarlett proceeded down the two steps, and walked five doors down. Then, climbed up the steps to her own apartment. She took the key from her bag, and swiftly opened the door.

"Scarlet!" yelled two excited voices and the echo of bare feet patting across the floor running towards her open arms. She gathered both of them in a hug, kissing each of their foreheads. Her face lit up at the sight of her little brothers.

They were twins, both born exactly a minute apart they were identical from the dimple on their chin to the gap between their two front teeth.

"I have a treat for you today." She smiled down at them, reaching into her bag. She pulled out three donuts.

"DONUTS?" They yelled, jumping up and down excitedly as she handed them each one. It didn't take much to make a pair of three year olds happy.

She looked up to see Aria, her fourteen year old sister. she had her arms crossed and she was leaning against the wall. Making her sister happy was a whole different story.

"I got one for you, too." Scarlet spoke, handing her a donut.

Aria snatched it out of her hand and rolled her dark lined eyes. "This is what you call dinner now?"

"It's all I have today, Aria. Either take it or leave it, it's your choice." Scarlet replied, calmly. Scarlet was used to her behavior.

Aria was independent and strong, and didn't want anyone to know that she was hurting inside, just like Scarlet. After their parents had left a year before, her 'happy go lucky' attitude had changed. She was no longer the sweet, innocent girl she used to be, pain and sadness had brought her down.

"Did you steal it?" Aria blurted out.

"No, there were extras at work so I brought us some. There is a little bit more milk and some strawberries in the fridge. I'll have something better tomorrow." She promised.

"I wish mom and dad were here." Aria muttered.

"Don't we all, Aria? Don't you think I wished they were here too? That I could live like a normal seventeen year old without having to worry about having a job, giving us somewhere to live, laying food on the table, getting my brothers a liable babysitter so my sister can to to school, and parenting my younger siblings? Yeah, I wish they were here too, but obviously they didn't think we needed them. It's reality Aria- they're not here and even if they did come back, I don't think either of us would want to see them again." Scarlet yelled, tears forming in her eyes.

The deepest betrayal a child can face, is when they feel they are no longer loved by the ones who brought them into this world.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments &/or suggestions?
-Struckbylove;