Unlikely Places

Ugliest things.

Scarlet quickly grabbed her school bag and stacks of books, and came out of her room. She kissed the foreheads of her two brothers and sent Aria a stern look, "Get them to day care, and go to school, or else."

"What are you going to do?" Aria rolled her eyes, "Ground me from reading? I have nothing else to do."

"I'll make you stay home from that dance next month if you don't start getting your butt to school." Scarlet shot back.

"You wouldn't," Aria glared, slightly taken back.

"I would if you get us in trouble by not going to school." Scarlet said, opening the door, "Just go to school, Ar."

She closed the door briskly behind her with one last goodbye, and headed in the direction of her high school. Scarlet hated high school. It was all one big competition. Who was the most popular or prettiest? Who has the most money? Who really cares?

Although, Scarlet naturally fell into the 'popular' group. With her animated and friendly personality and stunning looks, she easily made friends with just about anyone. She didn't like being called 'popular', but she accepted it because she was called it just for being herself.

Scarlet walks into the large, brick building, swinging the large, brass doors open and walking through.

She got to her locker and swiftly put in her combination, swinging the door open. As she placed her books inside, her boyfriend walked over, handing her a coffee.

"Thank goodness!" she gratefully sighed, taking a sip.

She kissed his lips as he took her first hour books in his hands.

Their relationship was all an act. Scarlet had turned Brad from a nothing to a something. He was now the most popular guy in school. He dated her to become popular, she dated him because he had what she needed. He gave her what she needed to earn money and pay rent, her job just didn't cut it. She wasn't proud of it, but it was a sacrifice she had to make.

Brad set her books down on the desk and hugged her goodbye, nodding to the teacher.

Brad had gone from the schools 'bad kid' to the schools 'popular kid' in no time. Before, all of the teachers had dreaded the class he was in, and the students prayed they wouldn't have to be paired up with him. That was until he made a deal with Scarlet.

--------------

The child service representative stood in the doorway of the small apartment. It was authorized that they be sent out when a new family moved into this part of town. She slowly took a look around the kitchen and led her gaze back to the children.

"Ms. Myers, it says on here that you have four children, it seems your eldest is missing?" She questioned, goading at her clipboard. "Scarlet perhaps?"

"Of course! Scarlet is tutoring at her High School still and is not able to make it. I'm very sorry I- she couldn't make it." Scarlet spoke, acting as her mother.

She had on some of her moms apparel that she had left behind, her hair pulled up in a tight bun, and some makeup to make her look older.

"Technically, I have to speak with all he children, but since I spoke to Aria and these little ones look perfectly healthy-" She touched the head of one of the twins lying in their crib, "I'll let it slide." She closed up her suitcase and headed for the door, "Have a good night ma'am."

Scarlet let out a sigh of relief as the woman left, going to close the door. However, the door was stopped by a big, brown boot. She looked up quickly, startled. It was a kid from her grade.

"So, you're family must be pretty important to you if you're willing to lie to stay together." He stated, walking into the apartment.

"What are you talking about?" Scarlet asked, trying to act confused.

"I was visiting my friend next door. The walls are paper thin, and frankly Scarlet, you're not good at lying.

"Look, my parents left and I have a family to take care of! Please, don't mess this up. I finally have it under control." She sighed.

"I wasn't planning on it. I have a proposition for you though." He hopped up on the counter. "It must be hard trying to earn money for all of you. You're popular and smart, and just what I need. I can help you if you help me. I have a deal."

"Okay..." Scarlet nodded hesitantly, she would do anything for her family.

"You pretend to date me to make me as popular as you, and I'll give you what you need to make money." He explained.

"What is it?"

"Pot," He declared.

She crinkled her nose, "I'm not getting hooked on drugs, you loser."

"No, no, no," He rolled his eyes, "You sell it."

"Like become a drug dealer?" She asked, eyes wide open.

"You don't have to think of it that way. Just think of it as a way to make money for your family. I mean, there's people on your street that would even buy if from you for a good price. Just think about it." He turned to leave.

"I'll do it." she said, astonishing even herself.

"You will?" He replied, shocked.

She slowly nodded.

Sometimes the prettiest girls do the ugliest things.
♠ ♠ ♠
I should be packing, but I round myself writing instead.
Comments/suggestions/constructive critism?

-struckbylove: